1992 Brumby upgrade

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
ktmtragic

1992 Brumby upgrade

Post by ktmtragic » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Just bought the boss an Outback diesel auto and sold the Forester. I bought a Brumby from a customer on impulse for nix 12 months rego and seems mechanically sound. Brumby drives well but would not pull a sailor off your sister. Once it gets going it is great, but stopping takes alot of forward planning.

I have been offered an ea82 with 5 speed box but feel I will be disappointed after all the effort. There is plenty of info on the eJ20 upgrade but I am concerned only having a 4 speed box when I am done, and how that will hold up.
I was wondering if it is possible to graft a Forester manual transmission, engine and drive lines into a Brumby. This would solve the braking and poor suspension issues.
I would rather ask the stupid questions now than stuff it up later. As I see this as a long term build I am in no hurry to stuff it up
Thanks

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Welcome ktmtragic yes it can be done and yes it takes a bit of work

My brumby has had an EJ22 and a liberty AWD single range box put in it plus a few other mods. :)

the link is in my signature

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Hi and Welcome ktmtragic to AUSubaru :)

I'd say fix her up in standard form unless you want to spend a lot of $$

The EA81 with good compression, weber and good exhaust system will give you plenty of power.

The standard brakes and suspension are much easier to work on than trying to convert over to the EJ stuff.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

ktmtragic

Brumby upgrade

Post by ktmtragic » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.
Funnily enough I was wondering today if I did a good back to original job would it be better.
RSR what are your thoughts on an ea82 with a five speed? Is it any better than I have now or should I stick with ea81? Last question the Ute is white I would like to paint it metallic blue. I understand this is heaps more work so my question is it worth the effort or should I try and get as close to factory as the original?

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Don't waste your money on fitting an EA82.. too much work as the engine is much wider. If you went this far, you might as well go EJ20T

As for the EA 5 speed gearbox, then I'd highly recommend it. There is a few things you need to change to fit it but well worth it and not too expensive.

The 74F on my 22B looks great on the older cars but not cheap to paint. I'd get some quotes first and if you're happy to paint your car, then just paint your engine bay while your engine is out.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:08 pm

If you really want to do an EJ motor, box, driveline and suspension upgrade and repaint in blue then you need to have a look at my thread to see what is involved to do it properly :)

A repaint needs the car stripped to paint all inside the doors, jambs, sills, engine bay, etc etc. So if you want to go that far you may as well do the EJ swap the same way I have as this needs the whole car stripped - and more .........

The problem with most EJ running gear conversions is that even though you put better shocks and brakes on you still retain the same basic suspension layout as the original Brumby which is nowhere near as good for handling as the EJ (Impreza/Liberty) layout. And it is expensive as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Thanks niterida for the info it is much appreciated.
At this point I have decided to try and get as close to factory as possible with these additions, AC unit ,power steering, 5 speed box and I don't know why I want it blue.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:10 pm

ktmtragic wrote:and I don't know why I want it blue.
Because blue looks awesome - I love the factory blue:

I'd love a blue targa like that... but the red has grown on me now (beggers can't be choosers!).

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”