W.A conversion cost from EA82 to EJ

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
Kalbarri_baru

W.A conversion cost from EA82 to EJ

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 am

Heya,
Had a good look at the benifits of an EJ over an EA82 fitted with a weber, and finally made a decision to do the conversion to an EJ, however would anyone have a rough idea how long the conversion would take and an estimate of the full costs involved, eg: motor, gearbox (the whole shabang).

Oh yeah my L Series is a 93 Sportswagon, Manual, Dual range (want to keep the dual range), carby, and 2inch lift

Cheers WayneO................
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:00 pm

About $3000 if you do it yourself and by new parts like clutch, adapter plate, t-belt, W-pump, seals, doner car or engine, getting the loom stripped, Radiator to suit etc
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:26 pm

guyph_01 wrote:About $3000 if you do it yourself and by new parts like clutch, adapter plate, t-belt, W-pump, seals, doner car or engine, getting the loom stripped, Radiator to suit etc
And buy all the other parts from KPM (aka guyph ^^^).

Seriously you can do it for a lot less - it all depends on how you go about it, how much of a rush you're in and if you do the majority of the work yourself if not all of it.

Firstly parts: Do your homework and shop carefully - you can pick up some good parts out there if you're careful with how you do it.

You could get a complete vehicle and strip out what you need - you'll have everything there except for the high pressure fuel pump - look up VN external EFI pump, it's cheaper than a VL turbo pump and does the same job. You can use this radiator by cutting the lower support frame, do a search on this one as a few have done it. Or you could have a new custom radiator made up or do with what you've got and hope for the best (not the way to do it but again, some have).

As for the water pump and cam belt kit look into fleabay motors in the US. I got my kit from there for less than half of what I could get over here. Jump on rockauto dot com and find the part number of a kit you're interested in there then look for it on fleabay. I went with a dayco kit. You MUST replace the water pump - if you don't it will only cost you later down the track, either in time (if you're lucky) or maybe a cooked engine (if you're unlucky).

You will also need to sort out some thing with the exhaust. You either get a custom one or do a cut and shut to shorten the rear section of the stock exhaust - it's not ideal but it will get you through until you get a custom one sorted. 2.25 inch is a good size, and depending on your taste you can have it made to be rumbly and louder or kept quiet ;)

You also need to look into your clutch setup and adaptor plate too.

I hope this helps you out.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:43 pm

guyph_01 wrote:About $3000 if you do it yourself and by new parts like clutch, adapter plate, t-belt, W-pump, seals, doner car or engine, getting the loom stripped, Radiator to suit etc
Thats KPM's "special morning price for you sir" :)

but it really depends on what you want.

Engine ECU and loom 300-1000 dollars depending on what motor.

Getting Subarino to strip the loom starting price of 250 dollars (remember starting price and he may have changed this)

clutch kit 150 -300 dollars

timing belt kit and water pump 200 - 600 dollars

Custom Radiator up to 350 dollars

"L" series MPFI fuel tank, pump and fuel lines from memory 150 dollars the last time I sourced one.

cost of labor 110 dollars an hour (or 12 cartons of CC an hour)

it is worth doing, my vortex was converted in 2 days (it was MPFI to start with)

Talk to RSR when you are drving along the beach from Horrocks to Kallbari :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 pm

The MPFI tank isn't really necessary - a surge tank will do the same thing.

But an upgraded return line is recommended!

Cheers

Bennie

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 pm

Cheers for the info, so much to digest, just waiting for the neurofen to kick in.

Looks like I will be getting a second L that is already converted, have seen a few advertised every now and then on both ebay and gumtree, so might be worth waiting for one around the $2500 to $3000 mark.

Again Cheers
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Jules, Without you labour cost it come up to about $2600 max

u forgot the gearbox engine adaptor plate
Redrilled flywheel
and all the little cost that add up etc etc
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:22 pm

TOONGA wrote:Talk to RSR when you are drving along the beach from Horrocks to Kallbari :)
I second that !!
guyph_01 wrote:u forgot the gearbox engine adaptor plate
Redrilled flywheel
and all the little cost that add up etc etc
There are ways around doing this which work much better in my opinion
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:37 pm

RSR 555 wrote:There are ways around doing this which work much better in my opinion
And I second that! Can't go past the EJ gearbox front cases IMO!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”