Fuel where it really, really, really should not be.

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.

Fuel where it really, really, really should not be.

Post by 60766244 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Couldn't think which section it fit in, so I put it here since mines converted...

It's a bit of a read but it's a different sort of problem...

Today as I was cruising about I noticed a HEAVY fuel smell in the Brumby (not to mention the last few days of terrible fuel economy - 350-400km on a tank country driving) :confused: I've had fuel whiffs before but I assumed it might've had something to do with the lack of a Cat.

Concerned I pulled up at my place and checked under the tank, the lines to the engine, and about the engine itself.

All was well.

The cap and filler area was tidy too.

Confused I went and made a cuppa and thought about it.

I came back and the rear-drivers side mudflap was dripping black oily substance onto my nice clean driveway...

Hopping under the car again I saw a tiny pin-prick hole in the tray, just behind the wheel well, where there's a cover that leads you to the brake lights.

Using the screw driver I got in there I found the fuel-(breather/overflow?)tubes leading into a plastic box/bottle/tub thing. The bottle was completely empty and there was a hose not connected to one of the spots on the bottle.

I then put my hand down into the wheel well and there was 2-3L of fuel mixed with 23 years of fine dust, slowly dribbling out down that mudflap... :eek:

After removing most of that with a newspaper and giving it a really good scrub I removed all the grotty fuel.

So, I scrubbed what I could, reconnected that hose and put the panel back on.

The only thing that bugs me is that the fuel hose looked "dry" like fuel hadn't been coming from there? :-|

Have the metal pipes in that area been known to crack before?

I also went underneath again and after some wiggling I noticed there is two pipes that looked as though they lead into the fuel tank had been blanked off... :-|

If anyone has any advice on this odd occurrence then I would most appreciate it!

The only good thing I can think of is that my electronics must be good, as nothing blew up with all that fuel vapour soaking those brake light wiring...

Crazy days... :-?
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:21 am

the fuel filler on the MY/MV/Brumby are prone to this little problem

showpost.php?p=168451&postcount=605

It is quite possible that you have a leaking filler pipe, as well the two pipes are probably emissions pipes that were blanked during the conversion. Don't fix it the way I repaired mine. Try to find a working replacement. I got one from Guy from memory it wasn't that expensive.

TOONGA

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Post by 60766244 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:23 am

Cheers for that mate. I'm going to have to get that out then and have a look.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Not that...

Post by 60766244 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:09 pm

The filler pipe seems in fairly good nick and is certainly intact.

:roll: "Phew."

I had a look at the breather/expansion tank system today and the way it looked was that, when fuel came up to that tank, and it got full enough it would simply pour out into the rear well bodywork...

So I fiddled around so the breather tanks exit was now (maybe origionally?) underneath the vehicle and not inside. I'm thinking this setup had been changed during the conversion process to allow for larger lines - just not rigged up 100% perfect.

Hopefully this fixes the issue - I've eaten and inhaled enough fumes today for the Popo's to think I've got a bad habit. :rolleyes:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:52 pm

You're bloody lucky mate!

I don't know why anyone would have been tampering with the emissions stuff for the conversion!

Hope it's sorted now.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Post by 60766244 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 pm

Let's hope... I'll only know when I fill up again... :mrgreen:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Coulda been worse - stale fuel pong in my Vortex today when I hooked up a little SLA battery- the fuel pump fired up after 12 years of not :) Whether or not the correct pressure I won't know in this car.

Post by 60766244 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:08 pm

steptoe wrote:Coulda been worse - stale fuel pong in my Vortex today when I hooked up a little SLA battery- the fuel pump fired up after 12 years of not :) Whether or not the correct pressure I won't know in this car.
Convert it to Electric... :p

I only say this as I saw one today as I was going for a cruise. He had MASSIVE stickers announcing it to the world, and it was very distinct in the lack of boxer rumble... I wonder who's it is. :D

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:46 am

You know, the idea crossed my mind - such a space age looking lot of lines, good excuse to give the neighbours for keeping it where it is etc ...a vortEx eh ??
For next time you see it see if you can get them to swing over so you can report back !

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:42 pm

I know it's off topic but, I saw a Vort yesterday as well, one of only 3 I ever remember seeing. Out the front of a pub/cafe type thing with 2 guys sitting at the tables out front...wonder if they saw me eyeing off that silver wedge as I drove by :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:00 pm

Silverbullet wrote:wonder if they saw me eyeing off that silver wedge as I drove by :rolleyes:
The last one I saw I approached the driver - he wasn't a happy fella!

Electric - waste of time. Until they can make environmentally friendly batteries that can cover ~700km with an easy swap over system they're not going to make a cut in my book.

Not meaning to go right off topic, but I find it sad those that are running those hybrids - no one knows how long the batteries will last, plus any environmental gain while driving will be lost in the break down of the batteries :(

Cheers

Bennie

Post by 60766244 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:39 pm

So far there's been no further fuel smells. :)

Still need to see when I fill up however.
El_Freddo wrote:The last one I saw I approached the driver - he wasn't a happy fella!

Electric - waste of time. Until they can make environmentally friendly batteries that can cover ~700km with an easy swap over system they're not going to make a cut in my book.

Not meaning to go right off topic, but I find it sad those that are running those hybrids - no one knows how long the batteries will last, plus any environmental gain while driving will be lost in the break down of the batteries :(

Cheers

Bennie
Continuing the off-topic discussion... :rolleyes:

I think it will be cool to build one out of personal interest, and have it as a secondary vehicle for most-of-the-time driving.

When I have the time/money I want to get an old offroad motorbike and play with EV'ing it

Seeing the Vortex's around is cool - this is only the second one I've seen in the flesh, and I've never seen that one before in my 15 years being about Kalamunda...

You can build an EV for 10-20k that can do 400k's and recharge overnight, there's a few volvos/beamers in Freo that have been converted - Couldn't do a roadtrip with them yet, but, it's getting there. :)

As for hybrids, they're definitely lacking in Enviro credentials, good for fakers and posers though.
If someone really wanted to be "eco" they'd walk/run/bike everywhere close and drive an old car...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 pm

60766244 wrote: Couldn't do a roadtrip with them yet, but, it's getting there. :)

As for hybrids, they're definitely lacking in Enviro credentials, good for fakers and posers though.
If someone really wanted to be "eco" they'd walk/run/bike everywhere close and drive an old car...
That's why you have your EV for everyday travel to and from work. I'm sure the maximum round trip a person could make in a day is about 60-100k's for work? I do about 60 every day. EV's can easily manage that and recharge overnight. You then keep your petrol vehicle for those road trips where you need more range.

Modern mass produced EV's and hybrids are also fake and a waste of money, the amount of resources used to manufacture and transport the batteries etc far outweigh any positive they have from being zero emissions vehicles. But they make the owner feel like they're doing something, which in the end is all that matters.

Now how did we get here from a leaky fuel overflow? :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Really need to start another thread about this, but I can't leave this off - it'll chew me up from the inside.
Silverbullet wrote:Modern mass produced EV's and hybrids are also fake and a waste of money, the amount of resources used to manufacture and transport the batteries etc far outweigh any positive they have from being zero emissions vehicles. But they make the owner feel like they're doing something, which in the end is all that matters.
I'm not sure that it is what really matters. These people are consumers - regardless of what they say, they're not usually the type to hang onto something for ages. More to the point these are sometimes the people that go around telling others how good their EV or hybrid is and how good the enviro credentials are etc.

False or misinformation spreads and it becomes the norm... I'll stick with my light old school subi that's pretty easy on the fuel, even after everything I ask of it!

Cheers

Bennie

Post by 60766244 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:20 pm

El_Freddo wrote: I'll stick with my light old school subi that's pretty easy on the fuel, even after everything I ask of it!
Spot on!

Going back to topic...

The fuel smell and leaking issue seems to be fixed now. :) All's well and it appears the problem was only due to some poor pluming.

In worse news my Brumb's going to need a new clutch I thinks. Poor thing went up and above the call of duty the other day.

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”