fuel pressure issue ej20t in brumby

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
SUBIIE

fuel pressure issue ej20t in brumby

Post by SUBIIE » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:34 am

Hi Team,

Been a while since i have been on here.

Project has been engineered and blue slipped in NSW, so we have been on the road for a couple of weeks now which has been nice after trying to build the car for 5 years.

Anyway, fuel issue. This ones for the experts.

Running brumby carby pump to carby filter to 0.8l surge tank to carby filter to VL commodore pump efi pump to ej fuel fiter in engine bay.

All fuel lines except the vapour line run into the surge tank.

So the problem is when it was 47 degrees the other day, the car seemed to travel fine if i didnt floor it, but on 4 seperate occasions when i accelerated hard up a hill it would die on me and i would be forced to sit on the side of the road for 30 mins plus waiting for (i am assumin) something to cool before it would start again.

Couple of other notes, i hadnt emptied the surge tank as i would run the pump several times without starting the engine on auxillary and it still wouldnt start.

My assumption is it had something to do with the hot temperature causing the fuel to overheat and creating to much pressur eeither from the tank or causing the pump to cavitate.

Any help greatly appreciated?
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 am

Is this the one you put up for sale a long time ago ??

Nice to see you got to finish it if it is :)

Can you chuck in some diagnostic tools for the next time and maybe bleed off the injector line to see if fuel or fuel vapour in the line maybe ?

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:56 am

Hi steptoe,

No never had it for sale. sold a partial project about 6 years ago.

Diagnostics (?) not sure how to check that.

will try and bleed the vapour out of the injector line, but it seems odd that it only happend when it was 45 degrees and not on cooler days.
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 am

I had issues with excessive fuel pressure in my EJ20G lseries on very hot days too.

I was just running a carby fuel tank with a VL turbo fuel pump(no surge tank)

I fixed my issue by drilling a tiny hole in the fuel cap. This allowed the pressure to be released.

Never had any fuel issues after that.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR HD
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:17 am

Diagnostic tools for the bleed off of any vapour ...so maybe an assortment of screwdrivers, 10mm spanner to undo a fpr, rags to mop up excess fuel if it aint vapour :(

Have you got the charcoal cannister in service ? I like the drill hole idea :) easy

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:58 am

Your right on the fuel cap idea. I took the cap off and that allowed me to drive for around 40 minutesat around 90kmh, with no hard acceleration. It wasnt till i was up a steep hill and hard on the acceleration that it finally stopped again, and wouldnt start for around 40 minutes. Maybe the angle of the hill was causing the fuel to block up the neck to the cap?

hmm, service centre recommended running line straight to efi pump with no surge tank. going to give that a go but think that i might have tried this in the past and it couldnt deliver enough juice.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:33 pm

OK, maybe better diagnostic tools like a fuel pressure gauge T'd into the line and tape it safely to the windscreen and see what it says when you make any demands. Understand not everyone has fuel pressure gauge - used to borrow an oil gauge myself :)

I recall when Ford finally went efi in the Falcon six about 1982 - people reckoned if the fuel cap was left off it would stall - think it was crap actually now .....

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:16 pm

R&C automotive in Wolongong are the best ther eis in NS wto service subarus and they serviced the car. They have a gauge to measure kpa so will use tha tthe nex time i get it serviced there. meanwhile, cap off.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Cap off and light throttle :)

Col Potts engineer it?

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Col Potts is out of business since the changes to the automotive engineers.

Went through Troy Brodie in Fig Tree, who scared that absolute shit out of me when he took it to 120 on the freeway after i had never driven it on a bitumen road.

And who wants light throttle!

But yes next hot day I think tha twill be the answer, unless someone can tell me why I actually get no fuel delivery?

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”