EA to EJ Wiring Harness

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
JKM

EA to EJ Wiring Harness

Post by JKM » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi All

I've been following these forums closely for a number of years and have recently started an EJ conversion on one of my L Series. Once I've made a little more progress I might even start a separate project thread if all goes well!

Thanks to this forum and a few friends who have done EJ conversions themselves I've got a pretty good idea of what lies ahead. I would like to tackle the wiring harness myself rather than getting someone else to do it for me and am wondering if anyone has every written a step by step walk through on the EA to EJ harness mods required? I have searched the forums and found that there is a lot of valuable information which I am collecting together. Just wondering if there is a comprehensive walk through for a 'noob' like me ... maybe even a thread I've missed?

Thanks
James

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:10 pm

I started in a similar case to you, its a great project to do :D. Just a word of warning, if you have limitted experience it will be a big job and you will need a lot of patience to do it.

Bennies thread was a big help to me, use all his wiring diagram links. start with what you know you wont need and work from there. label every single wire, you will get lost otherwise. I did most of the cutdown with the harness in the car. I think this can help for the first time as you can see where everything goes and what it connects to, but i can see now it is far slower and more impractical than just taking the harness out. I dont regret doing it that way the first time, but in the future would take it out :rolleyes:. realistically, you need to allow a couple of weeks to cut the harness down if you have never attempted anything like it before.

you will also need to get good at reading diagrams, make sure you have relevant wiring diagrams that correspond with your engine, including computer pin layout.

making sure you understand relays, including the earth switched relays on the older subies, is also very useful. I have one rad fan off the old l series wiring, and the 2nd on the ej harness (you need to be able to do relays for this).

good luck with cutting it down. take it slowly and get it right! ;)

Robbie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Aww thanks Robbie - I'm glad it's helped out one member! I'm sure there will be others that have used it but I know you have and it makes it all worth while.

James - get ready for a roller coaster ride! I certainly had some fun with mine, the wiring harness was given to me with every plug labelled - VERY handy! So if you remove the wiring loom label every plug you possibly can, actually make sure you have every plug labelled - this is key through out the whole cut down process.

The EJ conversion relies solely on the wiring cut down - get it right the first time! I went to the effort of doing a floor test of the wiring to see if I could get the EJ to fire up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUjKbPrZDLM

www.ausubaru.comThis isn't necessary but I wanted to make sure I didn't have to do the head gaskets etc and I wanted to be sure that the wiring was working before I dropped everything into the L series. If you have the donor car it could be a worthwhile thing to do so you know that the wiring works (with the EJ in the donor car still).

Here's my EJ into EA how to write up <- click here - youtube link hides the link to the thread!

Also see my build thread where I ask a pot load of naive questions, they might be useful to you (or not). Either way I really took my time with the conversion spending the most time on the wiring cut down ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

this document is helpful as well

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/-- ... 1_EA82.pdf

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

JKM

Post by JKM » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply Robbie, Bennie and Toonga.

Bennie, I've just finished reading your build thread in it's entirety. Very impressive job! Hopefully mine turns out even half as good.

There's still a lot of basic construction work to be done before I get to the electrics but I want to make sure I'm completely ready before I take the plunge! Cheers again guys for the links and advice.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:45 pm

JKM wrote:Bennie, I've just finished reading your build thread in it's entirety. Very impressive job! Hopefully mine turns out even half as good.
Thanks mate - that's a real compliment! Comments by those that have seen the conversion has made me realise that it must be pretty decent by conversion standards...
JKM wrote:There's still a lot of basic construction work to be done before I get to the electrics but I want to make sure I'm completely ready before I take the plunge! Cheers again guys for the links and advice.
That's the way to do it. Especially if you can "bench test" the engine and more importantly the wiring.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”