ej18 vs ej22 into a brumby

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
brockharro

ej18 vs ej22 into a brumby

Post by brockharro » Fri May 06, 2011 3:27 pm

hey guys and girls im planning to put a ej into my brumby but being a plater i cant really run a ej22 by law coz itll have to be engineered
is there any downsides to the ej18

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri May 06, 2011 7:49 pm

the only downside I could see is that it is a smaller engine cc wise

the EJ18 will serve you well

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri May 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Ej18 is still an engine conversion and therfore not P plater friendly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

brockharro

Post by brockharro » Fri May 06, 2011 8:42 pm

[quote="Venom"]Ej18 is still an engine conversion and therfore not P plater friendly.[/QUOTE\

Prohibited vehicles are those with:

Eight or more cylinders (except diesel).
A turbocharged engine (except diesel).
A supercharged engine (except diesel).
Engine performance modifications that require an engineers' certificate.
Certain high performance six cylinder engine vehicles or other vehicles as described in the publication Novice Drivers - High Performance Vehicle Restrictions.
thats all it sais
but i dont understand how it sais engine performane modification do u reckon that means engine conversions???

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 06, 2011 11:27 pm

brockharro wrote:Engine performance modifications that require an engineers' certificate.

but i dont understand how it says engine performane modification do u reckon that means engine conversions???
This is where you come unstuck - an engine performance modification requiring an engineer's certificate include engine conversions.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 07, 2011 3:02 am

essentially in nsw you will be doing an owner certified modification esp if you go the 18, even 20 comes in under the not up to 15% increase. talk to tech standards on the definition and rule numbers 1300 137302 up to 11am Sat

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sat May 07, 2011 10:56 pm

im not 100% on the laws in NSW but why would you need an engineers cert if you are not increasing engine capacity? I thought that was the whole appeal of the EJ18
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 08, 2011 7:01 pm

vincentvega wrote:im not 100% on the laws in NSW but why would you need an engineers cert if you are not increasing engine capacity? I thought that was the whole appeal of the EJ18
Because I'm sure its the same as in victoria - if its not in that model from factory you need certification...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

brockharro

Post by brockharro » Sun May 08, 2011 7:31 pm

yer it sais any engine conversion with a capacity increase above 15% needs engineer anything other than is just a blue slip and mod plate

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun May 08, 2011 9:23 pm

brockharro wrote:yer it sais any engine conversion with a capacity increase above 15% needs engineer anything other than is just a blue slip and mod plate
thats what I always thought the NSW law was. EJ22 is jover 15% making the EJ18 a pretty good idea
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun May 08, 2011 9:57 pm

An EJ18 does not need an engineers cert, and is totally legal for a black licence holder to drive.

The issue is that a P plater is not allowed to drive a vehicle with any engine modifications, even if it complies with state regulations
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon May 09, 2011 3:37 pm

the law states:

"Engine performance modifications that require an engineers' certificate"

you just told me you dont need an engineers cert for an EJ18. So how does this affect a P plater?

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Mon May 09, 2011 3:55 pm

not sure about the nsw guys but have done plenty of talking and researching about the rules in QLD and a p plater can not be driving with any engine conversion (hence why I had to opt for a rebuilt worked ea81 for my project), there is also a very big push to re jig the laws so that it makes it alot harder to get mod plates for an engine that was never fitted to that model of car....ie you can change it to the higher spec ones but it would be harder to put say the ej's into the brumby's etc.

As with everything this is just after having chats with a combination of qld transport people, cops and a couple of mechanics and not by any means the absolute black and white law. I think it is all a bit of a grey area though as you seem to get fifty different answers.

It was even hard to get an answer out of both RTA and QLD transport when I was driving to NSW a couple of times. NO one would say definitely whether I should follow my QLD p plate laws or the ridiculously limiting NSW ones
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James :D

brockharro

Post by brockharro » Mon May 09, 2011 7:40 pm

ok ill have to go into my local rta and find out but does any one know what cars a ej20 sohc come out of

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”