EJ into L series "how to" write up

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
jbb

Ej radiator into l series

Post by jbb » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi, has anyone got any pics/info on using an ej radiator in an L series wagon, especially the front cross member mods that need to be done?
Thanks
Jake

jbb

Post by jbb » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:51 pm

Oh and am puttin an ej205 into my '90 L series and if anyone has done this did they take the heat shield off the manifold before the turbo to help with clearance of the engine crossmember?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:47 pm

An update on the radiator choice.

I'm now running a Nissan Pulsar N13 radiator. The radiator's bottom support panel has been modified to fit the L series mount points that were cut out of the L series' radiator's bottom support panel.

To make this radiator fit the panel on the vehicle that the radiator sits under needs to be massaged up a little bit - go little by little as I did mine way too much and needed to fold it back down a bit to make it look neat.

This N13 radiator comes in two different outlet sizes - some are EJ size, some are EA size. Mine was EA size with an adaptor for EJ size. I used some adaptors on the top and bottom hoses that we made up with a mate. For me this has worked a treat and radiators are easy to get through ebay.

I've got two 12 inch thermo fans behind the radiator - make sure they're pulling air and not pushing it! I purchased some fans thinking they were pulling. Optimal performance was not had with the blades backwards...

That's the update!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:45 am

Hey Bennie what happened to your previous radiator? I remember you had some kind of mega triple or quad core jobbie?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:15 pm

AndrewT wrote:Hey Bennie what happened to your previous radiator? I remember you had some kind of mega triple or quad core jobbie?
It didn't do what I ultimately wanted it to do - and it sprung a small leak in the centre core, I wasn't willing to take a gamble on it so got an off the shelf item that can easily and cheaply be replaced. This new rad also gave me more room between the engine and radiator to run bigger fans - now have two 12 inch fans in there that seem to do the job really well.

What I also found out when fitting the new radiator is that my old thermo fans were running with the fan blades on backwards. I swear that the ebay ad said they were setup for pulling, hence I'd never checked the blade direction for pulling. Having the blades the right way around did huge wonders to pulling air through the radiator. I wish I'd picked up on this much earlier!

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:44 am

Yeah ?? How long had you been pushing air out of the engine bay through the radiator Bennie ?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:02 am

steptoe wrote:Yeah ?? How long had you been pushing air out of the engine bay through the radiator Bennie ?
Never pushing air through radiator, just not pulling anywhere nearly as effective as they do with the blades in the correct orientation!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”