Sunnie the Brumby.

Moderator: El_Freddo

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Update:

Sunnie the Brumby has been going well since finding an ignition issue, turned out to be this little module in the dizzy:

5 minutes to replace it from a unit I had stashed away and boom - he fired up without issue or effort! Stoked. He'd sat since Easter when I couldn't get him to go even with a spark plug check, new coil, battery charge - I knew something was up when I did the coil swap for a new item and he fired up first go only then to idle very smoothly for 3 minutes then die without being able to resurrect him.

That sorted he was then displaying a noise from the front left - new brake pads needed. So he'd got new pads up front and a new set of shoes to go in the rear when I find the time.

I've also found out that his windscreen rubber needs replacing as there's evidence of water on the floor after rain, this issue presented after we got him back from his body works but then it stopped, it's only just started again. I'm looking into changing the rubber to seal it up - dunno whether I should do this myself or if I should take it to a shop and have them do it for us...

I must admit that I've really enjoyed cruising around in him with the roof glass out and the windows down :D He recently made a new friend too:

Gail doesn't know this yet, and I know that she doesn't read these pages so I'll let you in on one of her christmas pressies - Sunnie will be getting a set of driving lights to mount on the bull bar. Should go well and complete that front end.

Oh, and on another downer - the power steering has developed a leak and there's a torn steering boot and CV boot. There also seems to be a small overheating problem, I'm hoping to swap the water pump over to solve this one as it's an unknown quantity at the moment, and I've got a leak in the oil pump to sort that's been there for sometime, I'm going to do something about it finally!

Other than that all's going pretty well on him - we're running 95ron fuel now to reduce pinging on warm days as he's set at 8 degrees before TDC which is where it should be. Going well so far and fuel economy has been going well.

I'll be updating with photos in the new year I hope!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

revmax

Post by revmax » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:00 pm

On an aero conversions that module is removed and usualy mounted on the firewall with a heatsink attached. The heat inside the dizzy eventualy kills the module.
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:34 pm

revmax wrote:On an aero conversions that module is removed and usualy mounted on the firewall with a heatsink attached. The heat inside the dizzy eventualy kills the module.
That's interesting! AFAIK this is the original dizzy - so 340k km is pretty good I reckon! If it "pops" again I might look into re-locating it, can't be too hard!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:41 am

El_Freddo wrote:Sunnie will be getting a set of driving lights to mount on the bull bar. Should go well and complete that front end.
Well here's the pics of the new lights :D

Fuzzy image of the low beams - camera couldn't focus due to where I had it pointed, but you get the idea:

Stock high beams:

Stock high beams plus the new driving lights:

And this is what they look like when lit up like a christmas tree:

:D

I can't wait to see the difference when we're out driving! Just need to fine tune their aim and Gail should be sweet to cruise at night now ;)

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:09 am

Looks good Bennie
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:56 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Looks good Bennie
I've still not got a day time photo of the setup :???: I'll be sure to get one monday ;)

And we've not actually gone for a drive to try out the driving lights. We were half cut when we got those last photos, and by the time we remember we should go for a drive we're over the limit or too knackered for a drive... Plus I don't want to be the first to really use them, they were a pressie for Gail after all!

Also, I've added this wiring:

From this thread discussion. Since the install it's not been hot enough to test it out! But I'll update when it is ;)

Cheers

Bennie

revmax

Post by revmax » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:11 am

Must feel pretty good Bennie to have done so much work and she looks so good.
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:57 pm

revmax wrote:Must feel pretty good Bennie to have done so much work and she looks so good.
Yeah looks good, but got work to do - the tub needs some surface rust sorted before it really takes hold.

I've disconnected the power steering because of a leak that needs the rack pulled.

And a pretty embarrassing moment today when I went for a run to test out the thermo fan trip switch, it was warm enough. After a run with the temp higher than I've ever seen it before I started to suspect a blown head gasket. Even the two thermos at idle didn't do much to cool the engine.

Then I found out that I'd wired in the fan the wrong way, so one was pulling as it should have been and the other was pushing - the one I'd been playing with :evil: Hopefully that's all sorted now. If I've got time I'll take him for a spin tomorrow.

I sooo want one it's not funny, but time, finances etc don't allow for it at the moment :cry:

Cheers

Bennie

PS - camera's still in the shed... You'll just have to wait :???:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Yay Photos!

And the new-yet-to-be-tried-out-properly driving lights :D

He went better today with the temp - and I didn't get to use the fan. That's what I get for living out of town when at the folks place! It'll get tested... some day!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Well we might have a problem... Towing our makeshift camper back from shep last wednesday in the 43+ degree heat he didn't like it. Before we left I found only half of the radiator with liquid in it :(

The overflow bottle was dry too. I closely monitored the temp on the way home, once it got just over half on the gauge travelling at 100km/h, even at 90 it wouldn't drop.

We pulled over several times to cool off, each time checking the overflow bottle. One time it had some foam over it, another time it was all good then it produced about 8 little bubbles. There wasn't any signs of boiling but these little bubbles make me think that we've got the start of a blown Head Gasket.

Or the other thought is that the new spotties have blocked a pot load of air flow through the radiator, resulting in the raised temp while towing a tralier.

As a precautionary we're going to leave him be for now (parked up) until I've got Ruby Scoo back together then he'll have his turn in the shed for the work. I'm in half a mind to do a full rebuild so it's a fresh engine that'll look after gail for many years to come... Maybe pick Steptoe's brain about a sweet cam grind to go with 26/56 comes to mind (I think..?)

We'll see what happens. It's a bit of a bummer but at 347k km on the original head gaskets AFAWK but if we do it early enough we can do it when we want and with less damage/mess created.

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:34 pm

16 /56 will be sweet all rounder

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:13 pm

steptoe wrote:16 /56 will be sweet all rounder
That's the one! Thanks mate! I was pretty close... but not close enough!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:15 am

Today I removed Sunnie's radiator as I started works to restore the cooling system and sort out a carbie issue - he won't start on cold mornings, at least, not without a lot of cranking and pumping of the throttle (no choke!)

I think I've found the source of Sunnie's main cooling issue and where he's been dropping all this coolant. THE RADIATOR! It's shot, got multiple leaks, is now multi coloured in areas too.

I'll drop a pic later in the day - I'm yet to bust out the camera.

After this I'm going to do the water pump, fix the oil pump and replace the EA81 intake manifold with the EA82's.

Anyone know of any issues in this swap? Would I be better off getting an adaptor plate to fit the EA82 carb on the EA81 manifold?

Cheers

Bennie

stenno

Post by stenno » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:53 am

I am doing the ea82 intake + weber onto ea81 now (well slowly anyway). For an adapter i used a transdapt #2107 from JEGS. it was the best looking one i could find after stuffing around with a redline one and attempting to make my own. looks like this
Height is an issue apparently on an unlifted vehicle, i havent got the motor back in but the answer is to use a lower profile filter (50mm approx) than the usual 70mm tall "weber" filter. Otherwise mod the stock filter like this
Weber air cleaner alternative? on USMB

Then the vac advance on the disty needs bending up more to clear the manifold, the crankcase breather needs bending down and the bottom of the ea82 manifold needs clearancing and you can knock off all the unneeded bolt mounts etc. can be easily done with a cutting wheel and a flap disk on a angle grinder in 10 minutes.
There are a few water outlets on the ea82 manifold that need to be sealed shut. one near the thermostat and another in the carby warmer water channel at the front. Just cut off and get tigged over or drill out, tap and use grub screws and gasket sealer.

For radiator hose (Non Power steering) (outlets at thermostat face different directions), apparently EA82 lower hose works as a top radiator hose.

Only use genuine subaru intake gaskets to heads as the other paper ones are rubbish and leak far easier.

Thats as far as i have got so far. i can grab some photos if you need later when the rain stops.

stenno

Post by stenno » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:57 am

Just realised you meant EA82 carby and manifold without weber, thats prob even easier as all you would need would be new head to manifold gaskets and the minor clearancing work and done.

stenno

Post by stenno » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:01 pm

the link in this thread shows all the manifold trimming that needs to happen too, just ignore the weber info

weber install guide

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:13 am

Thanks Stenno - there was some good information in there that I hadn't thought about!

Here's the radiator pics that are a little late :???:

Front side:

Rear side:

Previous to us getting this vehicle it appeared that it had run into a fallen tree/branch, thus the fan mark in the radiator - this however didn't cause the leak, something else did - probably old age did it in...

If the other radiator I've got doesn't come up well in it's pressure and flow testing it'll be new radiator time - not that I want to be spending that sort of coin at the moment!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:56 pm

Got the radiator back, zero charge! I can't talk up Bendigo Radiators enough, they're in Adam St if anyone happens to be looking for them.

Today I stripped down the engine, I've forgotten to get a photo of the water pump, while the impeller is in great condition the port that the radiator hose mounts to is very corroded.

I've removed the inlet manifold to replace the gaskets, I'm glad I decided to do this, the pass side was clearly leaking and the driver's side didn't seem to very far behind. I also fount a pin hole that was leaking from the top radiator hose :???:

Here's the passenger's side inlet port:

Looking forward to having Sunnie back on the road for Gail; all I need to do is rebuild the oil pump, remove clean and re-seal the powersteering rack, sort out a carbie issue, replace the windscreen rubber, fix a hole in the cab's rear wall, clean up and paint a set of roll bars before mounting them and returning the brumby to it's "rightful" owner :(

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:17 pm

On saturday I removed the old windscreen rubber and was going to replace it with a new one. Here's the old one that was leaking on the driver's side - should have got a new one when we got the repair on this corner originally:

I don't know how you remove those chrome strips without damaging them, one's now flaking and two have slightly deformed edges when I tried to carefully lever up an edge with a small screwdriver :???:

This is what I found: - Passenger's side:

Driver's side (repaired previously):

And this is primarily what's put the new seal on hold:

^ This is the upper edge of the windscreen, the old hard seal has rubbed away at the paint exposing the metal below. I need to clean this up and protect this properly before I put the new seal in. Now I'm waiting for the weather to clear up. The passenger's corner isn't as hard as there's less area to cover and I don't have to be as fussy about the paint surface around this area unlike the roof.

For now I'll get onto the engine stuff while I wait for another "slow moving high" to come around again.

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 am

Got the same wear mark on my roof, down to bare metal that does not wanna rust. Open sores are a bit like this in Subies, got another flake of paint missing on the bonnet , just stays clean :) .It is the hidden, moist bits like the screen rubber spots that rust

Return to “El Freddo”