Sunnie the Brumby.

Moderator: El_Freddo

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:44 pm

Well the head gasket work is slowly coming along. Work got in the way big time on this. Very frustrating.

Heads off:

Crusty sump gasket:

Thank goodness the sump practically fell off, I thought it was going to put up a fight. The gasket put up a good fight - probably being the original sump, it was basically welded on.

So I've done little bits here and there when I can. Probably the biggest time saver I've had was cleaning up all the bits.

I wanted to replace the valve stem seals - ordered a valve stem seal kit and only got 4 valves, thinking this was wrong I went back to my parts joint. Got another set.

I pulled the valves off the head only to find that the EA81 does not run an exhaust valve stem seal. Ancient.

I ended up doing a valve regrind - glad I did, this is what they looked like before I started:

This is what they looked like after:

That should seal up good an proper in comparison now. It'll be interesting to see how it runs now power/economy wise.

Tonight I got the heads on, tomorrow I'll double check the torque of the head bolts then fit the intake manifold etc. All going well I hope to do a run in the car late tomorrow. I don't have a pic of the heads on yet, I'll get one tomorrow before I do the valve clearance settings.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Well since not having easy forum access, a lot has obviously happened. The brumby is back on the road and working really well.

Two weeks ago someone tried something, I'm not sure what they were trying to achieve but they screwdrivered their way into the brumby via the driver's door, then did the same to the ignition barrel.

When the car was found the driver's window was down (electric) and the screw driver on the floor. Nothing stolen. Battery flat.

The lock and ignition still work but need to be replaced - this is what I'm working out now :???:

Other bits will also be going in too ;)

Cheers

Bennie

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi Bennie,
I have a working ign barrel with key if you need it from my Brumby, the switch on the back has issues but does work.

Peter

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks Peter,

I've straightened out the old door lock and it works really well again now. The ignition barrel we'll cross another time - it still works but needs a special jiggle.

Looking at the possibility of swapping it out for the old barrel that's damaged and have the key matched to the new barrel using parts from the old one.

Cheers

Bennie

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:40 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Other bits will also be going in too ;)

Cheers

Bennie
A Taipan under the seat only cost a rat or two per month at best. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Peter

Return to “El Freddo”