RS wagon...

Moderator: El_Freddo

FujiFan

Re: RS wagon...

Post by FujiFan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:28 pm

Of the two EJ20s one is in storage at a mates place, I purchased it sight unseen other then seeing a few pics. So not sure what it actually is until I get around to collecting it. But I’m hopeful it is an original Ph 1.

The other one I do have at home is actually from a JDM donor and is the Ph 1.

It sounds frustrating chasing an engine for your RS, at a sensible price and reliable. And your probably right about the RS purity being unobtainable without throwing money at it. I picked up a V7 207 block for a great price for a build, and I’d suggest that’s probably your best avenue. Great factory blocks and fairly common. Bolt all your RS manifolds etc to it, and get that old girl running.

Great thing is you actually have an RS, even if it has a few things that need doing. Don’t ever part with it.

J.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:33 pm

I don’t let my vehicles get away, so this one won’t be parting company with us any time soon either!

Sounds like you’ve got some bits and pieces around. I’ve got two phase 1 blocks with different issues that should make one good one once I’m in a better position to do a proper restoration. Everyone says ditch the RS heads, go WRX this and that etc. I do want the purity but for now I’m keen to just have it running and able to enjoy it.

It’ll get there! No work on it coming up any time soon.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:58 pm

I finally resealed the rear diff - I think it’s only been about a year since it came out of the RS to live on my shed’s floor. A house move has pushed me to finally get it done. So slack! If we weren’t moving I’d be fitting a factory rear locker to our Pajero and tidying up the Brumby and the L series... this WAS low priority on my list for now. Hand is forced so it’s done. Next will be to fill with oil and fit back into the RS.

Solid clip in r160 stub axles - I didn’t realise the RHS stub axle was longer than the left, I always thought they were the same length internally:

The rear cover gasket was pretty much dead. I contacted my local dealer to get an idea on price and availability, that was Thursday, I’m yet to hear from them. What I worked out is that the original gasket is metal sandwiched in paper. I know the later model diffs run a metal only gasket so I stripped all the paper off the metal and gave it a small smear of high torque silicone and assembled. Here’s the metal gasket in the middle of the paper pieces from each side of the metal unit:

Who knew the kid’s mud kitchen would actually be useful for something other than their mess and entertainment?!

That’s all for now.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:54 pm

RS is finally back on four wheels. It was a long time coming.

Future Bennie played around with the RHS leak, seems it wasn’t anything to worry about, loads of oil behind it that wasn’t leaking out... time will tell. Now to put the oil back in the diff, it’s clean so I’ll put what came out back in.

Next is to paint/seal some primer then put the tailgate back on. I’ll acid treat some exposed metal before it cops some primer. After all this it’ll get packed up for the impending move.

It’s good to be working on it again, even though it’s only little bits and pieces at a time.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “El Freddo”