Red Targa Brumby

Moderator: El_Freddo

berttus

Post by berttus » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi Bennie, saw on your first post you were after a set of original 13s. I have a set under the house which you are welcome to if you want to pick them up. I will need to get under there and check tyre condition but for memory three are good and one is flat(the fifth wheel and other good tyre went under the bonnet which vanished from a train station). They are painted black but as i said if your interested, they are all yours.
Brett

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:38 pm

berttus wrote:Hi Bennie, saw on your first post you were after a set of original 13s. I have a set under the house which you are welcome to if you want to pick them up. I will need to get under there and check tyre condition but for memory three are good and one is flat(the fifth wheel and other good tyre went under the bonnet which vanished from a train station). They are painted black but as i said if your interested, they are all yours.
Brett
Thanks mate, I'd be happy to take them off your hands - PM sent ;)

I've stalled on this project at the moment - got a few other things to do on Ruby Scoo and really need an engine before going any further - I don't want to pull it all apart before I know where I'm going on this.

Rear diff will be coming out at some point though, it needs a clean up and I'll drop some new seals in at the same time.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Ok, Dad and I did this last Friday... Well, Dad watched me do this:

Then we drained the sump:

And drained the sump some more:

Saturday during the tear down we got even more, I reckon there was a good 14 or so litres of fluid in it!

The rocker arms:

The cylinders, both sides were the same:

^ Mmmm, more "creamy goodness"

We were thinking there was a pretty major head gasket issue, until we removed the driver's side head:

This has been washed down, anyone notice what's missing?

There was a little bit of surface rust on the bores, it wore away well with some 1200 grit emery paper, but one pot has a tiny bit of pitting right at the top of the bore, hopefully it won't be an issue long term!

I'm hoping to get away with a new set of head gaskets, we'll see how that goes. As for all the sludge, I'm going to do this on the cheap - once the head gaskets are on and the engine is back in I'll fill it up with some used crankcase oil and a new filter, run it up to temp (if it starts - that'll be another issue), then drop the oil and filter for more used oil. Do the same, up to temp and drop. From here I'll gauge wether I should go another run with used oil or go for a fresh batch to run it with.

This will also tell me if there's other damage/wear with the engine - once I see it's not blowing smoke I'll be happy!

Also, if you look at the pistons, while not really clear in the images, they look like after market units to me - no fuji/subaru boomerang in a circle like symbol on the faces of these units... So hopefully all is good!

A question for the EA81 gurus out there: The two bolts holding the rocker assembly to the head, are these head bolts that need to be torqued in sequence? If so, how do you head bolt #9 in the sequence? I can't get socket in there to do anything, which means no torque wrench...

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:52 pm

What a mess! Are those two welch plugs completely MIA? :o

The two bolts for the rocker assembly are two in the torque sequence, this is the cue for Jonno to post the pic of his special ring spanner for nut under the rocker assembly. Alternatively you can do what I did which is buy a cheap socket and grind it away until you can get a turn on the nut (most of the socket will be gone before it fits) I've still got mine and you can only get about 1/16th of a turn before you need to reposition it but it works :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Silverbullet wrote:What a mess! Are those two welch plugs completely MIA? :o
Nah, only one is MIA:

Silverbullet wrote:The two bolts for the rocker assembly are two in the torque sequence, this is the cue for Jonno to post the pic of his special ring spanner for nut under the rocker assembly. Alternatively you can do what I did which is buy a cheap socket and grind it away until you can get a turn on the nut (most of the socket will be gone before it fits) I've still got mine and you can only get about 1/16th of a turn before you need to reposition it but it works :rolleyes:
Brilliant, not. Might have to shave up a socket for my use on this too.

Cheers

Bennie

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:02 pm

Here you go,

Doug
Attachments
1fnw.jpg
1fnw.jpg (81.03 KiB) Viewed 46668 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks Doug,

Sorry I got it backwards as I was referring to the pattern to remove the heads as #9 being the painful one - it's actually #1 as you've correctly stated above.

I was hoping your image would be the tool used to torque up that nut behind the rocker assembly ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:17 pm

Hehe it's funny how I'm the one suggesting it to you Bennie when just a couple years ago you suggested the exact same thing to me :o That page has the tool you're looking for ;)

showthread.php?t=19634&highlight=EA81+overhaul&page=11
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:29 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Hehe it's funny how I'm the one suggesting it to you Bennie when just a couple years ago you suggested the exact same thing to me :o That page has the tool you're looking for ;)

showthread.php?t=19634&highlight=EA81+overhaul&page=11
Thanks mate, that's just what I needed! I remember giving that advice thinking it was like the EA82 setup where you have to shave a socket to do the job ;)

Now to scout out a cheap socket for the job!

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:04 pm

MMMMM sludge ... Bennie you could try the diesel trick everyone goes on about, but I wouldn't.

It would probably be better to go with the used oil and filter (filter with out creamy goodness)

The internals look pretty good, but I would be very wary of the other welch plugs.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:04 am

Full strip down Bennie! makes cleaning the gunk easy ;). Gotta pop the pistons anyway. Leave all the case and big end bearings alone, clean it out and put it back together. A Few hours work :D.

Regards

Doug

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Nah I've got everything I need to get this baby on the road - just going to put it back together then decide when the time comes - EJ or rebuild with new bottom end and a mild cam :twisted:

Just need to find time to put it all back together now.

Got more to post, just need to upload photos ;)

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:31 pm

And an EA82 Y pipe of course, or if adventurous - an EA82T exhaust set up, just run the left to right then down the back to see if you pick up a turbo sound

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Dad came up with some spares and a welder - the driver's side window is now in and operational again, we had to make a new runner for the bottom of the window as the old one was seriously bent, we also replaced the window regulator as the old was was also bent :???:

I also got onto fixing the sloppy shifter, this is how you do it - maybe a bit over board but it's nice and tight now!

That's it for now.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:41 pm

steptoe wrote:And an EA82 Y pipe of course, or if adventurous - an EA82T exhaust set up, just run the left to right then down the back to see if you pick up a turbo sound
Nah not going to try that turbo setup. And if I went the EA82 Y pipe I'd have to work out how to fit the ERG pipe bit unless I get the Y pipe cut down to fit the cast spacers to sort out the ERG pipe part...

Next up is to get the engine back together, probably over the next 5 or 6 weeks with the way things are playing out :???:

Cheers

Bennie

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Some things just take time Scott....ask any inmate lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:06 pm

TOONGA wrote:I would be very wary of the other welch plugs.
All welch plugs have had the same treatment - threaded and plugged. I swear I've got a pic somewhere but I've got to dig it up. Super pissed if I can't find it - see why below.
Tweety wrote:Some things just take time Scott....ask any inmate lol
Too true Tony. I've only just managed to get the engine off the engine stand where it's been for the best part of six months to this:

Exciting times. Still moving super slow as I realise what I've still got to do before I can put it up for a RWC check - I'm running out of time to get it sorted for when I want to be paying rego in the year.

But the above is a big move forward :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:12 pm

Now there's a familiar sight :) How did you go lining the clutch up? did you have a proper alignment tool?
Also, cover those intake holes up! lest a runaway washer or nut decides to make a new home :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:14 pm

No alignment tool. The one I use (EJ input shaft) was too big, which surprised me a bit. So I did it by eye, that didn't work. Next trick was to loosen the pressure plate bolts right off, get it all in and bolted up the then use the starter motor hole to do the bolts up again.

Worked a treat!

And there's a cover over the top of the engine - I only removed it for the pic, otherwise it could almost pass for a cardboard box under there (where's the fun in that?)...

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 pm

El_Freddo wrote:All welch plugs have had the same treatment - threaded and plugged. I swear I've got a pic somewhere but I've got to dig it up. Super pissed if I can't find it - see why below.
:confused: how the hell did you thread them?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “El Freddo”