Red Targa Brumby

Moderator: El_Freddo

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:50 am

I had that cruise control system in my wagon and I could swear you took pictures of mine. I pretty much installed it in a identical fashion ;). Not in there anymore. It decided one morning that it was going to hold my car flat out in neutral :rolleyes:. Turned out to be the seals in the vacuum solenoid.

One sexy looking Brumby though. Nice to see red vs the common white or beige. Poor EA81, your carrying half a ton of steel on its nose :D.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Subydoug wrote:One sexy looking Brumby though. Nice to see red vs the common white or beige. Poor EA81, your carrying half a ton of steel on its nose :D.
Thanks mate. I wanted to track down a blue targa but got sick of waiting for one at the right price, this one popped up in the mean time close to me at a good price.

As for the weight of the bar, dad tells me that it's pretty light for what it is. We've got a steel bar like this one below, it's BLOODY HEAVY! He reckons it weighs less than this bar! Pretty happy with that.

I'll have to weigh the one we've got to get an idea of exactly how heavy it is! It's not fitted to a vehicle yet, but it's destined for Sheldon (L series).

This Wednesday I'm headed to the big smoke in Redback for some parts yards visits and a subi meet from another forum (details in the vic pages, no takers by the looks of it :(). I'm looking forward to spending some good time driving and enjoying Redback!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 27, 2015 8:54 pm

The pick a part sessi

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 27, 2015 9:03 pm

The pick a part session was good, I managed to score a six gauge dash - always the way, totally unexpected! Now to sort out the dashboard. I'll have to have one reskinned as both that I have are worse than a dried lake bed :/

Last weekend (23/24MAY) I was excited as mum's replaced her old car so I get Redback again - or so I thought! I got about 30km from m&d's and had to pull over for communications between the two vehicles. When I returned to Redback there was a massive pool of oil under her.

I flipped out a bit. Then investigated the issue. Seems that the crank seal had let go but it would "only leak" above a certain rev, but without a tacho I didn't know what this rev limit was.
I managed to limp it home to leave there until I can find a weekend to pull the engine and get an oxy torch to heat the crank pulley off. Not happy!

Then came back home in shepp again brumbyless :(

That's the update :/

Cheers

Bennie

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Thu May 28, 2015 1:29 am

Ahhh good score on the 6 guage cluster Bennie! What was the donor car? An illusive Touring wagon or a coupe/sedan Leonie?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:43 pm

Proton mouse wrote:Ahhh good score on the 6 guage cluster Bennie! What was the donor car? An illusive Touring wagon or a coupe/sedan Leonie?
I had to think about this one! It was a 4 door auto sedan. '82 model if I'm remembering correctly. Now that I think about it again I hope I photographed the VIN for future reference parts etc (Frog loves VINs for parts ID ;))

Engine will be out this weekend for oil sealing and sorting out that major leak. One big hurdle to get over is pulling the crank pulley off as it seems the previous owner used lock tight on the pulley to crank surfaces! I managed with great difficulty to remove the bolt but didn't get any further from that with the pulley itself :evil:

Heat may be involved! Rear main will be done too while everything is out. I'm hoping to take it home Sunday night so the scooter (aka "Full throttle") can remain in the shed with the frosty weather we've been having :(

Cheers

Bennie

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:59 pm

Have fun! I snapped the oil pump off in the block of my MY wagon tried to remove it due to leaking seals. Wished i had never touched it!
Motor is out and i chiseled out the broken pump. However after that decided spur of the moment to drop a spare ej22 in for now. Half way through that conversion!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:14 pm

All went well. Engine out Saturday morning, went to the "Shifting gear" innovation in Australian cars and design in Melbs. Resealed the oil pump before dinner.
Sunday saw the pump, front and rear main seals replaced and a new sump gasket made up then fitted.
I drove it home that evening and all went well, even with a black cow found in the middle of the road! Glad the MY brakes did an good enough job for that one!

Now wanting a "Willy's special" set of extractors :/

Pics later!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:45 pm

Pics as promised:

One way to do an oil change :p

Good timing to have Redback as the daily again! It was wet as this week gone! So glad to have a roof on my ride again!

And this is how it should be - when Sunnie the Brumby rocks up!

Very stoked!

Cheers

Bennie

preno

Post by preno » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:07 pm

i like your brumby. makes me want to get to work on mine in the shed.

Saw your ute at the lake view a month or so ago. saw the 5 poster first as i nearly bought that before you did!

Cheers,

Matt

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:22 am

Hehehe... I forgot we had Bendigo members on here. Hopefully we'll be back in town permanently before too long.

Redback will still visit from time to time. For now you'll have to "admire" Sheldon ("silver ash" L touring wagon) at the Lake View ;)

Yeah I was surprised that bar was still there when I contacted the guy. It only worked out for me as I have family that lived close by, otherwise I'd still be bullbar-less. I think the black on red goes really well!

Cheers

Bennie

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:47 am

El_Freddo wrote:Hehehe... I forgot we had Bendigo members on here.

my Uncle is in Bendigo. has a few Brumby's, Coupes and an MY Wagon last time i saw

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:21 pm

Green_eyed_liberty wrote:my Uncle is in Bendigo. has a few Brumby's, Coupes and an MY Wagon last time i saw
Nice. In good knick or outside getting done over by the weather?

Cheers

Bennie

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:33 pm

I love that shot of your Brumby with the engine out, next to the giant, wooden legged, engine lifting platform (and I thought they called you tripod for other reasons)
I see you have the same shed as me, same colours and all!!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:28 pm

Proton mouse wrote:I love that shot of your Brumby with the engine out, next to the giant, wooden legged, engine lifting platform (and I thought they called you tripod for other reasons)
I see you have the same shed as me, same colours and all!!
Hehehe... nah, no wooden legged tripods around here. This one is definitely a home job though - three lengths of three inch box steel, dunno the thickness but it works a treat and is very mobile.

That shed was the stables, but when my sister spend quite a bit of time overseas it sort of became my loose parts stash shed :twisted: Needless to say she's not happy with me!

Anyway, in other news, I had a very welcome visitor today:

I love this little detail:

Great to catch up with Tweety and for Tony to finally see the brumby in the flesh!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Seems that we're not having a very good run with the brumbys recently. Sunnie the brumby broken into and an attempted theft and now my brumby backed into by another vehicle that drove off:

If it wasn't for someone that observed the whole thing and grabbed a number plate I'd be stuck for options as to how to repair this (probably pull it out roughly and deal with it in a few years).

After a few calls/messages with the offender the brumby is now booked in for an assessment. This is all new to me so we'll see what that's like. It'd be nice to get a few other dents pulled while she's in there for that panel work.

Got off lightly really - had the other car not been a 4wd the front driver's wheel could've been damaged but it was missed and the panel took it all.

That's all for now.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:11 pm

All fixed now and looking mint - on the front right corner. I need to bring the rest of the car up to speed with that new, freshly painted guard :/ :D

I'll get pics soon ;)

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:24 pm

So... haven't got those pics :/

But I do have some news on the lighting front. My headlights have always sucked in this brumby. I have a set of high beam spot lights fitted to the factory high beam light position - these look stock but have a stick "for offroad use only". Yeah right, like anyone's paid attention to that before.

Problem was they were koala spotting and giving off heaps of glare off the bullbar. So I replaced their mounting bracket with one that I knew I could adjust (the one on the brumby had shagged out screw tabs). Now lights are adjusted well.

I then added a secondary wiring loom from fleabay to get more voltage to the lights. After dicking around with that wiring I got it working properly and it goes really well. Those spot lights really make a difference! Not done there I had a set of square IHF's that I had planned to drop on the RS once it was going but waiting got the better of me:

This pic also made the banner on Subarino's bookface group :D

Ironically I haven't been able to give these a good test run at night yet. The night I thought I was going to have a good run to benders the car died a little while later. I couldn't get it started.

Long story short it was a dead coil that then killed the dizzy module. Only thing was that I'd replaced the module with a new one - and killed it too. New coil and a 2nd hand module of unknown condition and I was running again. Took a while to figure it out!

Got a few other issues to sort out: leak in rad kept at bay by running fans all the time; temp gauge not working (two clusters and two sender units still didn't fix it. wiring checks out) and I might have a rear wheel bearing on the way out :???:

For now it's the moving house mule:

It's going well other than some pinging at light throttle up hills or WOT with a down shift. Just need to find the sweet spot in the middle ;)

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:21 pm

El_Freddo wrote:It's going well other than some pinging at light throttle up hills or WOT with a down shift. Just need to find the sweet spot in the middle ;)
So on this front I'm thinking it's time for an SPFI setup. If it continues to ping with this I've got other issues - mostly likely low compression or too much oil droplets in the air/fuel mixture, from what I've read recently this effectively drops the RON of the fuel and thus creates detonation.

Actual fitment will be a while off I reckon - depends on the time I can scrounge to chip away at this while keeping the brumby operational for semi daily duties atm.

First step is to bust out the wiring loom to see what I've got to deal with and how it will be laid out in the engine bay. Also I need to refit all the intake manifold gear to the intake manifold...

I must also thank Tweety for the opportunity to use the SPFI kit, this is the same one that his EA81 powered trike was running a few years back. I just needed to sort out an intake manifold to make it work. Hopefully I'll be able to keep the EA81 factory PS pump setup with the EA82 intake manifold... time will tell.

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:57 pm

El_Freddo wrote: Hopefully I'll be able to keep the EA81 factory PS pump setup with the EA82 intake manifold... time will tell.

Cheers

Bennie
I think you'll have difficulty, since the EA82 thermostat housing pokes out right about there. That's what is stopping me putting P/S on my Brum :(
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “El Freddo”