Red Targa Brumby

Moderator: El_Freddo

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:13 pm

steptoe wrote:the smoke is your generous assembly lube I hope
I don't remember reassembled engines pouring out this amount of smoke - thick and very blue! Looked like the shed was on fire and I'm glad the neighbours didn't call the CFA!

The amount of smoke it poured out had me thinking that the oil rings were completely shot. But after running it a good 15 minutes it was down to a minimum of smoke, still a bit blue at this stage too.
El_Freddo wrote:I'm hoping it's valve gapping!
Well, it was valve gapping! I did the passenger's side by feel as I CBF'd using the gauges as I still wasn't 100% sure this engine would be a goer for the road worthy. After messing around with this it fired up without an issue - no noise on the side I did so I think they're still a little tight but at least it's running on all four pots.

There was a little bit of blue smoke, I was initially worried but let it run and it's cleared up - so a non smoker it is :twisted:
steptoe wrote:timing in question ?
Nah not really. I have messed around with it by ear once it was on all four again - I'll steal the timing light from dad's next weekend and give it a proper tune up. It's running pretty good in the little bit of a drive up and down the driveway I've had. Power steering makes an amazing difference in these vehicles!!

This arvo I've spent putting the interior back together. I worked out that the "electrical gremlins" I thought I had were just missing fuses I pinched for Ruby Scoo about 6 months ago :rolleyes:

Very excited though. The list of things needed looks like this:

- water pump,
- ball joints
- rear diff seals replaced
- front right hand guard, in red, needs replacing with a straight one that's not got any holes in it. If I can't find one or it's too expensive I'll stick with the rusty white one I've got.
- brakes checked
- engine and gearbox mounts (found out through fleabay adverts they're the same for EA81 and EA82s - so I'll grab some from M&D's when I'm back with my stash)
- and work out why the second thermo fan doesn't switch on, even when the AC is in use it's not engaging. The fan checks out as working well.

Really looking forward to getting this on the road!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Sounds great! As for the smokey start up well you never know what could have still been sitting inside the heads/bores judging from the first few pictures in this thread. Careful on the g/box mounts; L series and MY are not the same, L series having the slanted angle on them.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Point

Post by Point » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:15 pm

I've come across the gearbox mount issue before too. The part books say that the later Brumbys have EA82s fitted.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Interesting fellas, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to pull these mounts out and take them to my parts joint to compare pics. If they're EA82 unit (fingers crossed!) I should have a good set at M&D's to use. Otherwise my wallet is going to take a beating I think :(

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:39 pm

Well, a lot has happened in the last two weeks!

Brrruuummmbbbeee lined up an MY touring wagon wreck - the gearbox mounts were much better on this one so they're now on the gearbox in Redback - I found out they fit better if you remember which way up the gearbox mounting plate goes! The payment and trailer hire to pick up this wagon was cheaper than buying two new mounts! Hopefully they'll get me through a RWC.

Last week after work I got the Brumby to this stage after a few nights:

^ To get the rear drive shafts off I had to resort to a slide hammer to overcome the built up sand and rust on the stub axles.

The bearings were removed last Monday morning before the pic was taken. I'd picked up a number of parts from my local parts joint near M&D's - saved me a good hundred buying through them! This is what I started with:

New shocks are actually from fleabay - ultima units. The other bits include an air filter, oil filter, rear bearings, rear slave cylinders and front ball joints. I got all but the ball joints and air filter on...

Here's the driver's rear end sorted:

Ruby Scoo's "old" rear diff went back in rather than replacing seals on the one that came with Redback - it was a time and effort decision. I also tried winding up the torsion bar but it's hit a point of friction and probably only wound up the little bar about a quarter inch. Dunno where to go from here.

I also adjusted the tappets - still gotta have another go at this to get it right on this side. While I had the rocker cover off I snapped this pic for Paul's interest:

The above pics show the oversized "grub screw" plug in place of the welch plugs. I hope these images explain what's been done.

Once I had everything back together I gave Redback a *very* small drive down then back up the driveway. This is how it sits now, with the rims and tyres for the RWC - then it ran out of fuel:

I did an oil change with some clean used oil with a new filter to help further flush out any crap left from the water in the block.

Next up will be to swap out the water pump for one from Tweety to see if it's a better unit, sort out the front rhs guard with an un-damaged one, and remove that bent chrome bar. Note to others from the previous owner - don't tow from this bar, it's decoration, not a towing point!

Really looking forward to getting this on the road soon!

Cheers

Bennie

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:26 am

That is looking real schmick El Freddo!

...a little jealous, I want it haha

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Bumpty wrote:That is looking real schmick El Freddo!

...a little jealous, I want it haha
Thanks mate - that's it's good side :p The front right hand guard is damaged and has a cut through the top of it - I don't think that would pass roadworthy :(

Other than that it's not a bad unit - still some work in it and a respray at some stage will make it schmick unit.

It runs heaps better on fresh fuel too - starts loads quicker/easier!

Cheers

Bennie

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:54 pm

I like the look of the red with black wheels, very sexy.
So jealous of the Targa top too!!

1983wagon

Post by 1983wagon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:40 am

yepp wish i had a targa top. so glad we dont have road worthys here in sa, most of my previous cars would never have seen the road. Looking good bennie. Get that gaurd sorted and that brumby will be schmick.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:25 am

El_Freddo wrote:I also tried winding up the torsion bar but it's hit a point of friction and probably only wound up the little bar about a quarter inch. Dunno where to go from here.
If you unscrew the adjusting bolt out of the adjuster you might find the threads are just dirty. Clean them up on a wire wheel and give them a coat of anti-sieze.
Settlement Creek Racing

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:19 am

brumbyrunner wrote:If you unscrew the adjusting bolt out of the adjuster you might find the threads are just dirty. Clean them up on a wire wheel and give them a coat of anti-sieze.
Thanks BR. I wire wheeled the bolt, but I didn't have any anti-sieze so I've used some graphite grease.

I also had the vehicle up on jack stands when I did it - would this make a difference?

Cheers

Bennie

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:01 pm

It would only make it easier.

Sounds like you might have to clean out the torsion housing if you want more adjustment.

Just make sure you're not maxed out on the adjuster first or it won't help...
Settlement Creek Racing

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:06 pm

brumbyrunner wrote:It would only make it easier.

Sounds like you might have to clean out the torsion housing if you want more adjustment.

Just make sure you're not maxed out on the adjuster first or it won't help...
How do you clean out the torsion housing? I did chip out a heap of mud in there.

I can still see a good inch of the adjuster bolt. On Sunnie the Brumby I remember winding the bolt in until the adjuster hit the bolt head...

I checked the timing I did by ear - spot on TDC! Tuned it to 7deg BTDC and it really purrs now. Still got one tappet to get right, otherwise it's running really quietly now in the tappet department.

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:29 pm

Redback is looking good! :twisted:

Will it be getting a lift for offroad work?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:39 pm

NachaLuva wrote:Will it be getting a lift for offroad work?
That's what Ruby Scoo's for. I got this on the previso that it's a relatively stock daily runner - no engineering issues.

But I'm super keen to get the EA82 MPFI adapted to it :rolleyes: And with the black rims it doesn't look like the same brumby I purchased :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

PS - when I say EA82 MPFI adapted to it I mean to the EA81, not dropping an EA82 in a brumby, that's a backwards step IMO

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:08 am

To clean out the housing you'd have to remove the torsion bars. Just be careful not to tear the rubbers or you'll be up for new ones. If you're happy enough with the height now, just leave it alone.
Settlement Creek Racing

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks mate, I'll probably leave it alone for now, but I would like it a tad higher.

I'm hoping to get the guard sprayed up, swap out the ball joints and give it a good wash/detail this weekend. We'll see how I go :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bennie

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:14 pm

G'day mate,
That's looking so much better than when you got it. When's the Brumby cruise gonna be on?

Cheers Jake

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Rodeo4jake wrote:G'day mate,
That's looking so much better than when you got it. When's the Brumby cruise gonna be on?
Once it's on the road any time we're available. AFAIK we're the only two northish of melb with a brumby on this forum...

But I know how to make it three ;)

And thanks mate, it'll look loads better with a set of plates on it ;)

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:50 pm

Work on this beast has slowed down quite a bit :(

I've been working on the rust under the windscreen, these are a couple of pics from about 5 weeks ago:

I'm pretty happy with the rust that's there as far as rust goes - not as much as I thought - and no holes!

So it's had an acid treatment (Rustbuster) and is now finally under the first coat of red oxide paint. Hopefully it'll get another coat tomorrow before a sealer coat of paint and the final colour paint that will more than likely be miss-matched to the rest of the vehicle - not that it matters as there are miss-matched panels on this vehicle already.

Also due to lack of equipment and time it's been done with a hand brush - namely to seal it up in the hope of someday being able to strip the whole vehicle back and giving it the "Silverbullet treatment" ;)

I don't have pics, but I've also replaced the water pump with a new one, painted under the brake booster where there's been a previous brake fluid leak (same treatment as windscreen minus the acid treatment), replaced rear drum brakes with good second hand units.

Next up will be to replace the air circulation diaphragm as I used Redback's to replace the one on Sunnie the Brumby - now I've got another good one from a parts bomb to use.

Last bits on the list of things to do:
- re-adjust one rocker on the right hand bank;
- replace the rocker cover seals
- I might replace the gear selector shaft seal, I've got one but haven't made my mind up on that one yet...

Really looking forward to having this beast on the road!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “El Freddo”