The new L series

Moderator: El_Freddo

dobo

Post by dobo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:32 pm

This is similar to what happened with my l but luckily the thread was ok and it was just a case of replacing the bolt. Great buy bennie! Love that its a touring wagon!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:20 pm

87rxturbo wrote:Nice score Bennie. That interior color looks familiar,i feel ripped off paying $400 for mine now! Have to admit i do love having a nice cold aircon that works in mine,i guess that's what the 300 extra clams bought.:mrgreen:
Yeah but I've got an AC system out the back in a parts car that I could hopefully fit if I ever feel the need... But since it's for my sister and she wants it ASAP and the fact that I've already got a few things to work on in the mean time this is well and truly on the back burner!
steptoe wrote:and wish you did this a coupla weeks ago - I thought about pulling my power window switches that all worked great and were blue but thought they'd just sit around :( or get no response if I advertised

MURPHY !!
So you've tossed them? I've cleaned up all the switches and they're all working perfectly. One of the switches mounting points for the screws both broke so it's held in gently with longer screws... The spares I had are a different blue! Yep, Murphy was here too!
dobo wrote:This is similar to what happened with my l but luckily the thread was ok and it was just a case of replacing the bolt. Great buy bennie! Love that its a touring wagon!
Yeah it's a great shape, no rust but it's got the auto which also means it's got all the auto wiring. It should go well I hope. Even though it's a good body I'm hoping it ends up coming back to me in good shape - my sister is a lousy driver and I'm concerned that it will come back bent somewhere. That or it won't be maintained properly, she's shit at that :( I've wondered why I'm going to all this effort to help her out, there's no gratitude from her end...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:57 am

El_Freddo wrote:So Paul, you get the gold star on this one - thanks for you're point of view! Can't wait to fire this EA82 up and hear nothing but injectors quietly clicking away :D
LOL.. Can you tell my wife this.. I could do with a couple :-D

I'm just happy to help out and keep another L on the road.

Personally, I would try and heli-coil it, that way you could use the old bolt (if the thread still looks ok?) but they can be a PITA to get in that spot. If you can take the Rad out it's much easier.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:01 pm

The things we do for a RWC! New rear suspension bushes going in on monday. Rear brakes now "adjusted" - dunno how they determined that they needed adjusting, their auto for a start and worked well on our "hand spin testing". So we remove the drums, checked out the clearance (bee's dick) then clicked them up a couple of notches by pushing on the brake pedal gently with the drums removed, we then had to hammer the drums back on to fit them. Not ideal but they'll hopefully get the message that they've been sorted.

And here are the rear bushes that came out, hardly need replacing but they were doing the usual L series thing... I reckon they checked things out on a "4 point lift" hoist so the suspension was sagged as far as it could go. Here's the old bushes that we hammered out:

The electric window switches have been cleaned and work well now without any intermittent issues. Now to get the tensioner sorted, change the brake fluid, fit the new bushes and reinstall the rear swing arms then she should be good to go again. I think.

That's it for now.

Paul, I'd be happy to help out, do you want me to send you a gold star or two? I could even make up a poster for you like they have in primary school :mrgreen:

Cheers

Bennie

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:09 pm

how the hell did you hammer those bushes out? We tried with a press at Paul's and bent every bar/tube or anything we used to get them out....
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:11 pm

guyph_01 wrote:how the hell did you hammer those bushes out? We tried with a press at Paul's and bent every bar/tube or anything we used to get them out....
See the swing arm on the car ramp? That's the position we had it when we took to it with a cold chisel and a mallet. Just keep hitting it real hard until it starts moving.

Simple. Done it twice now!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:20 am

That's because Bennie is only replacing the rubber part.. you gave me the ones that replace the sleeve to the bushing. That part is pressed in and when old, usually gets seized in :cry:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:10 pm

RSR 555 wrote:That's because Bennie is only replacing the rubber part.. you gave me the ones that replace the sleeve to the bushing. That part is pressed in and when old, usually gets seized in :cry:
I'll try and check it out before dad smashed the swing arms back into this L series, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a casing, but I could be wrong! So I'm keen to find out myself too.

Dad will be working solo on this until sunday - I'm away out bush with some students in the grampians again (stoked!) and won't be home until sunday sometime...

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:04 am

Yup, tossed the switches still in the car - was a waste of time pulling the ones from the last TW I wrecked, thought I learned this time around :(
Keep those bushes they look good !

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:17 am

El_Freddo wrote:Image
El_Freddo wrote:I'll try and check it out before dad smashed the swing arms back into this L series, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a casing, but I could be wrong! So I'm keen to find out myself too.
No need Bennie, I can tell from this pic that you have just the rubber section but that's cool, we just have to put more effort into changing Guyph's ones.. more time = more pay
El_Freddo wrote:Paul, I'd be happy to help out, do you want me to send you a gold star or two? I could even make up a poster for you like they have in primary school :mrgreen:
Thanks.. really would be nice but doubt it would get me in the good books :rolleyes:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:33 am

RSR 555 wrote:No need Bennie, I can tell from this pic that you have just the rubber section but that's cool, we just have to put more effort into changing Guyph's ones.. more time = more pay
I thought it was More time = More Free stuff???

Lol
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:57 pm

relax Guyph free stuff is still pay - just more free stuff ;)

was thinking something was wrong with Bennies pic of the bushes
the original outer steel casing for the bush is an absolute pain to remove - Ive only seen it done once and that was with ALOT of free stuff changing hands and an amazing amount of time, blood, sweat, tears, grinding, filing, bashing, oxygen, acetalene and swearing - from memory about 5 hours for the two and maybe a welding rod was wasted aswell :roll:

bite the bullet and get the same replacement style Bennie bought and save yourselves the pain, nightmares, scars etc etc

hope I made myself clear :-D
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:51 pm

So, Andy, you must realise why I was smiling when I found my Vortex had new super pro bushes fitted prior to my ownership :D

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:48 pm

FROG wrote:relax Guyph free stuff is still pay - just more free stuff ;)

was thinking something was wrong with Bennies pic of the bushes
the original outer steel casing for the bush is an absolute pain to remove - Ive only seen it done once and that was with ALOT of free stuff changing hands and an amazing amount of time, blood, sweat, tears, grinding, filing, bashing, oxygen, acetalene and swearing - from memory about 5 hours for the two and maybe a welding rod was wasted aswell :roll:

bite the bullet and get the same replacement style Bennie bought and save yourselves the pain, nightmares, scars etc etc

hope I made myself clear :-D
Yeah.. it's never really free.. it's just no exchange of the bugs bunny

Unfortunately we have already done 1/2 the job, so this time I'll do the other 1/2 then we'll use the same as the ones Bennie uses.

As clear as mud :-D

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:56 am

Yeah Paul you're 100% correct! Ours are very rusted in to the point that it's difficult to distinguish between the swig arm and the bush casings!

Dad's got the rear end all sorted. Tomorrow we do the front discs, put the front of the engine back together and "change" the brake fluid. Then she's in again for a RWC on monday :D

And did anyone else pick up on the stress in Guyph's post about extra cost??

Cheers

Bennie

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:51 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
And did anyone else pick up on the stress in Guyph's post about extra cost??

Cheers

Bennie
What stress??? What post?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Jonno stops in his tracks - looks right and well waddaya know ? Not all the power window switches were tossed - still got the drivers door ain't he ?? :D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:40 am

guyph_01 wrote:What stress??? What post?
guyph_01 wrote:
RSR 555 wrote:we just have to put more effort into changing Guyph's ones.. more
I thought it was More time = More Free stuff???

Lol
Ok, so maybe not quite the stress I first read it as... But I still thought it funny - the "???" makes it I reckon - a hectic question that you want the answer to...

Anyway, I gotta get going!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Well we've changed the brake fluid, dad installed some studs that are larger than the original bolt's diametre and enlarged the cam tensioner's mounting holes to make it fit. It's all holding well together and all quiet.

We do however get a knock once it's warm, still VERY VERY dull and only when the gearbox is under load, light/heavy it doesn't really matter, it's just there - so we're going with this being the torque converter or flex plate... We're just stoked that the engine is quiet az!

RWC tomorrow, hopefully rego a day or two later :D

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Good work Bennie :mrgreen:

Best of luck tomorrow for the RWC ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “El Freddo”