The new L series

Moderator: El_Freddo

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:36 am

I'm thinking the belts are wrong.. this is not in relation to the wearing but to the knocking sound. So I think you might kill 2 birds here.

When the engine is running, put a long solid piece of something on the dizzy cap and put your ear to the other end... if the noise is really loud then change the belts. I know this sounds weird but trust me, when the belts are fitted wrong these dizzy caps get really loud. The noise is backlash on the belts and I went through 5 dizzys trying to solve this noise for a customer many years ago. It wasn't till then that I asked when did the noise start.. they replied after the belts were fitted. They didn't want to buy a set of belts but I old them they could take the others back to the guy that fitted them and.. well.. best not say :rolleyes:

The other thing that I think could be the flex plate on the converter.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

revmax

Post by revmax » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:12 pm

If it was a big end bearing, it would get quiter with increased oil pressure or be A LOT louder on start up.
Don't think it is a big end bearing.
The beats are too slow for big end bearing.
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

revmax

Post by revmax » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Bennie.
I see a 493 filter on an EA82.
My bad sorry
Current
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:25 pm

RSR 555 wrote:if the noise is really loud then change the belts. I know this sounds weird but trust me, when the belts are fitted wrong these dizzy caps get really loud. The noise is backlash on the belts and I went through 5 dizzys trying to solve this noise for a customer many years ago.
I like what you're saying, even if I don't like the work involved!
revmax wrote:If it was a big end bearing, it would get quiter with increased oil pressure or be A LOT louder on start up.
Don't think it is a big end bearing.
The beats are too slow for big end bearing.
That's what we were thinking too. I'm liking both of these answers, and I'm sure dad will too. We're not going to bother with the changing of the belts unless we really have to - she's in for a roadworthy today and I'm waiting to hear some news about what's going on as we'll have to go pick it up soonish I'd imagine.

The interesting thing I noted yesterday was that on start up the engine is dead quiet apart form a split second rattle as it fires up, it's not there when cranking and it's not there once the engine is rotating under it's own steam. And that' knock is not there either! But it comes as the oil and the engine warms up, there's no correlating vibration either. Our knowledge tells us that we would expect lots of noise on start up with the big end bearings being dry of oil then go quieter as the oil pressure picks up.

Finger's crossed she comes back with a big tick of approval on the RWC, I'll keep you posted (could be tomorrow as we've got a storm headed our way).

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:30 pm

revmax wrote:Bennie.
I see a 493 filter on an EA82.
The 493 has a 3/4 thread. The corect filter for the EA82 has a 20mm thread
Well I didn't know that! I'm not sure if this is the filter the previous owner's mechanic put on it or if dad changed it but it doesn't leak so we'll leave it for now and get the right one at the next oil change. I can't even remember the code for the oil filter, I should as it's practically used across the range of subi engines!

Cheers

Bennie

revmax

Post by revmax » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:55 pm

wires crossed sorry
Current
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:56 pm

I use Z493 on all my EA engines and Z495 on all my EJs
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

revmax

Post by revmax » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:00 pm

My Bad sorry. Now why was I using 495's in my MPFI EA82.
Current
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Ryco # 493 for all my EA81 and 82's !

Paul, when you say belts are wrong - how wrong?

Wrong number of teeth ?

Wrong shaped teeth, seen a roundy go on a square cog in a Charade or vixe versa - didn't go the best :D

Wrong width?
I get a similar noise in my rebuilt EA81 and balme it on the pollution crap hanging off it and is only there at idle no load. Load her up and she purrs

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:50 pm

Sorry.. should say fitted wrong.. like 1 or 2 teeth out

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:04 am

RSR 555 wrote:Sorry.. should say fitted wrong.. like 1 or 2 teeth out
I doubt this is the issue - I double checked everything and most of all this EA82 feels very perky compared to what I remember with my old EA82s when you got a tooth out!

It didn't have the RWC done yesterday, the fella was super busy so this was put on the back burner, so it should now be in the process of having this done as I type this... I hope!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:56 am

I've seen belts out by 2 and 3 teeth and they run better than standard but I guess it's which way they are out by.

Did you try to locate were the noise is most loudest?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:47 pm

Well it's back from it's RWC. Got a few things to deal with - electric window switches need cleaning (I hope that's all it is) as some of the switches are a bit dicky; rear swing arm bushes need replacing and front discs are out of thickness by 0.5mm!

And that knocking:
RSR 555 wrote:I've seen belts out by 2 and 3 teeth and they run better than standard but I guess it's which way they are out by.

Did you try to locate were the noise is most loudest?
So the guy almost didn't look at it due to the engine knock noise. Dad talked him around and got his opinion which was piston slap. When we picked it up the noise was definitely worse than when we dropped it off to him. Things weren't looking good.

The first thing we did when we got it home after it was off the trailer was listen to the engine with a pole in various areas then whip the cam covers off. The noise was much more apparent on the passenger's side of the engine. I've got a video but I'm no longer allowed to upload it when at my pero's joint, apparently I rack up too much on their internet - never been an issue before. Anyway...

Once the cam covers were off we fired her up and the issue was apparent immediately. We had an issue with the threads that hold the tensioner pulley in, we tried to replace the bolts with a stud setup, I couldn't get a good tension on the nuts but hoped for the best. Now it turns out that the threads are completely stuffed which allowed the tensioner arm to bounce with the force that changes with the position of the cam shaft sprocket as the cam starts to work against the valve spring. In the video you can see it bouncing up and down in time with the noise!

So now we've got to tap a new thread - going to use what we've got and go with an imperial thread with a set of bolts that we'll make into studs. Once that's done the engine is QUIET!!! We know this because we've put pressure on the cam belt tensioner when the engine's running and the noise goes quiet. It's a sweet engine!

So tomorrow we're putting the tap set through, getting the required bolts, modifiying the tensioner to fit the larger bolts, cleaning all the electric window switches and probably pull the swing arms out ready for the new bushes which should be ready to pick up on monday. We've also got to adjust the auto adjusting rear brakes... Go figure! There's no manual adjustment so we guess this L series has been driven that gently that the only braking has occurred on the front end and little to nothing on the rear.

Other than that his general comment was "much better than the last car" which is another whole story in itself!

So Paul, you get the gold star on this one - thanks for you're point of view! Can't wait to fire this EA82 up and hear nothing but injectors quietly clicking away :D

Cheers

Bennie

87rxturbo

Post by 87rxturbo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:18 am

El_Freddo wrote:Here's the new addition to the family, hopefully will pass a RWC this week and be rego'd before too long.

It's an '89 touring wagon without AC :evil:, it's an MPFI :twisted: and it's auto :evil: :evil: :evil: But it should do my sister well while she's at uni, and after that if Ruby Scoo's not looking too good this one will probably be the replacement I think :mrgreen: I just hope she doesn't stack it like she did with Baz...

The issue with it was that it had been run without oil for a short period. I've swapped the oil pump for a known good one with new seals - had some issues with it and have had it removed about three times to resolve an oil leak that turned out to be the crank shaft seal! We've had some fun with the cam belt tensioner bolts and the threads that hold the bolts in, these are now studs and we hope it will do the job.

Now she runs pretty smoothly but still has the dreaded lifter tick and it seems it's trying to scrub out the driver's side cam belt, I removed half a belt on the initial strip down! Dunno why it's doing this.

I got this as a mate's brother's girlfriend was getting rid of it and no one wanted to buy it so it was going to the scrapper/crusher which she didn't want to do. So $100 later and here she is. Originally from Tassie and driven by grand parents it was passed onto the grand daughter when they upgraded. So that makes us the third owner.

Very tidy unit with no rust! Garaged with the grandparents in tassie which I reckon has helped out heaps.

More to come on it slowly. I'll grab some better pics too

Cheers

Bennie
Nice score Bennie. That interior color looks familiar,i feel ripped off paying $400 for mine now! Have to admit i do love having a nice cold aircon that works in mine,i guess that's what the 300 extra clams bought.:mrgreen:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:36 am

I was quietly thinking tensioner ... and wish you did this a coupla weeks ago - I thought about pulling my power window switches that all worked great and were blue but thought they'd just sit around :( or get no response if I advertised

MURPHY !!

dobo

Post by dobo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:32 pm

This is similar to what happened with my l but luckily the thread was ok and it was just a case of replacing the bolt. Great buy bennie! Love that its a touring wagon!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:20 pm

87rxturbo wrote:Nice score Bennie. That interior color looks familiar,i feel ripped off paying $400 for mine now! Have to admit i do love having a nice cold aircon that works in mine,i guess that's what the 300 extra clams bought.:mrgreen:
Yeah but I've got an AC system out the back in a parts car that I could hopefully fit if I ever feel the need... But since it's for my sister and she wants it ASAP and the fact that I've already got a few things to work on in the mean time this is well and truly on the back burner!
steptoe wrote:and wish you did this a coupla weeks ago - I thought about pulling my power window switches that all worked great and were blue but thought they'd just sit around :( or get no response if I advertised

MURPHY !!
So you've tossed them? I've cleaned up all the switches and they're all working perfectly. One of the switches mounting points for the screws both broke so it's held in gently with longer screws... The spares I had are a different blue! Yep, Murphy was here too!
dobo wrote:This is similar to what happened with my l but luckily the thread was ok and it was just a case of replacing the bolt. Great buy bennie! Love that its a touring wagon!
Yeah it's a great shape, no rust but it's got the auto which also means it's got all the auto wiring. It should go well I hope. Even though it's a good body I'm hoping it ends up coming back to me in good shape - my sister is a lousy driver and I'm concerned that it will come back bent somewhere. That or it won't be maintained properly, she's shit at that :( I've wondered why I'm going to all this effort to help her out, there's no gratitude from her end...

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:57 am

El_Freddo wrote:So Paul, you get the gold star on this one - thanks for you're point of view! Can't wait to fire this EA82 up and hear nothing but injectors quietly clicking away :D
LOL.. Can you tell my wife this.. I could do with a couple :-D

I'm just happy to help out and keep another L on the road.

Personally, I would try and heli-coil it, that way you could use the old bolt (if the thread still looks ok?) but they can be a PITA to get in that spot. If you can take the Rad out it's much easier.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:01 pm

The things we do for a RWC! New rear suspension bushes going in on monday. Rear brakes now "adjusted" - dunno how they determined that they needed adjusting, their auto for a start and worked well on our "hand spin testing". So we remove the drums, checked out the clearance (bee's dick) then clicked them up a couple of notches by pushing on the brake pedal gently with the drums removed, we then had to hammer the drums back on to fit them. Not ideal but they'll hopefully get the message that they've been sorted.

And here are the rear bushes that came out, hardly need replacing but they were doing the usual L series thing... I reckon they checked things out on a "4 point lift" hoist so the suspension was sagged as far as it could go. Here's the old bushes that we hammered out:

The electric window switches have been cleaned and work well now without any intermittent issues. Now to get the tensioner sorted, change the brake fluid, fit the new bushes and reinstall the rear swing arms then she should be good to go again. I think.

That's it for now.

Paul, I'd be happy to help out, do you want me to send you a gold star or two? I could even make up a poster for you like they have in primary school :mrgreen:

Cheers

Bennie

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:09 pm

how the hell did you hammer those bushes out? We tried with a press at Paul's and bent every bar/tube or anything we used to get them out....
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Return to “El Freddo”