The new L series

Moderator: El_Freddo

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:47 pm

Haven't done that Tambox.

We were going to use a set of oversized pistons from another engine I had that got me on the road with Ruby Scoo years ago. These were to be matched to the particular cylinder it was going to go in. But that didn't happen. This is the reason why - after removing the rings on one piston it was useless:

These are certainly no good. Now we're looking into using my old MPFI, replace a couple of threads and hopefully it'll all be good. We'll see.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:49 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Now we're looking into using my old MPFI, replace a couple of threads and hopefully it'll all be good. We'll see.
Well, replaced two threads and a third one has pulled out. So this is a no go...

Dad almost got an EJ conversion on the for this L series - but I don't have the time to do all the prep work of the wiring etc.

Now we're on to engine idea number 4 I think. We'll be converting an EA82 carbie block to the MPFI with the use of the MPFI heads and intake. The only thing that will be different is there won't be a crank housing ventilation pipe behind the intake mainfold - I figure we'll plug the one on the intake ducting - the two from the heads *should* be sufficient to do the job.

Fun fun!

Cheers

Bennie

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:26 am

Bit of a thread dig, but I wonder what happened to this ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:06 pm

Bantum wrote:Bit of a thread dig, but I wonder what happened to this ?
We went with the carbie block with the MPFI heads on it. Going very well.

There was a nasty sound from the gearbox some time ago - turned out there was little to no gear oil in the front diff (it's an auto). It was topped up and still going, although it apparently makes a bit more noise than it used to - the dodgy stez looks after that.

I'm thinking this might need some AC though. I've only seen two touring wagons without AC - this one and recently one of the rare gun metal grey touring wagons. I was under the impression that touring wagons came with AC...

So this wagon, Sheldon, is still going. Tomorrow he's off to Yarrawonga for a week with my brother...

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “El Freddo”