Ruby Scoo’s epic build, ten years and counting...

Moderator: El_Freddo

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:45 pm

GOD wrote:On my first attempt at fitting new seats, I did as you describe - drilled out the weld and rivet holding the mounts onto the Lib seat rails, then bolted (and welded?) the L mounts onto the new seat rails.

That put my head too close to the roof, so I redid the driver's seat by pulling apart the whole assembly and fitting the L lower seat frame into the Lib seat cushion and back, and sat it on original L rails and mounts.
Well here's what I've done - after reading your note on the seat height I pulled one seat out, sat the foz seat in to compare seat base heights. The foz seat was well higher than the L series stock height!

So I went into looking at cutting as much out of the seat height as possible. The best I could get was 15mm without then changing the floor pan mounts themselves.

I got a set of other rails from a parts car to compare the rails. The outside rail of each seat is detachable so I got these pics to compare:

The rear is a fair way out, but a grinder and welder can sort that out, this is one of the outer rails.

Best bit was that the width of the foz rails are pretty much the same as the L series - so no need to worry about the width. Bonus!

So after cutting the L series mounts off their rails, I then took a further 15mm out of them. Most I cut, the Inner rear mount I welded the original hole and moved it 15mm up the bracket.

This is how they turned out before spraying for rust and to make them look purdy:

The rear mounts were drilled out then welded onto the foz rails. Due to one of the rails being permanently attached I had to be very careful to cover the fabric with a leather protective sheet to avoid burning holes in my lovely new seats.

This is the end result, please excuse my dodgy interior, it's got character, at least that's what I keep telling myself:

The verdict:

After all the work was done and the seats were in I drove her home to M&D's, I found the ride height too high and wasn't real happy with that. But the quality of the seats are second to none over the L series seats, I can't believe I just compared the two different seats as the foz seats are light years ahead!

Now that I've had a bit more driving time (about 12-15 hours) I'm pretty happy with them and I'm now used to the higher seating position, 4wd'n will be interesting. My only real concern is now I find my rear view mirror is in the way when panning to the left or trying to check out an intersection as I approach. Also, I'm 186cm so not a short fella to start with.

Best bit now: 1) this mod has the other half's approval and 2) the gucci arm rests that aren't actually made by gucci.

Once the paint has dried on them they'll be going back in and I can forget about them for a while :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:51 pm

The seats are looking good Bennie, comfy? I love them in my Foz and the arm rests just top it off, very comfortable for cruising and when your in the mood for quick gear changes and belting around corners you can folder them up and away :mrgreen:

Taza

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:02 pm

taza wrote:The seats are looking good Bennie, comfy? I love them in my Foz and the arm rests just top it off, very comfortable for cruising and when your in the mood for quick gear changes and belting around corners you can folder them up and away :mrgreen:
Comfy is an understatement!! The reason I got them specifically was for the arm rests. Been waiting a loooooong time to pick up a set, I've had them half the season and last week was the first time I could do anything with them!

Gotta love fleabay!

Cheers

Bennie

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:16 pm

El_Freddo wrote: The foz seat was well higher than the L series stock height!

Now that I've had a bit more driving time (about 12-15 hours) I'm pretty happy with them and I'm now used to the higher seating position, 4wd'n will be interesting...
Also, I'm 186cm so not a short fella to start with.
I hit my head enough 4wding with standard L seats... and i am about 5" shorter than you! :rolleyes: make sure you take some panadol for your headache :p

seats look pretty schmick!! :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:48 pm

MTB92 wrote:I hit my head enough 4wding with standard L seats... and i am about 5" shorter than you! :rolleyes:
I've always been close to the roof and it's not been a problem before, so I guess it shouldn't be any greater if I keep an eye on things and take it easy...

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:39 pm

MTB92 wrote:I hit my head enough 4wding with standard L seats... and i am about 5" shorter than you! :rolleyes: make sure you take some panadol for your headache :p
Well the seats went awesome off road for the sand 4wd'n in Robe/Beachport and in the Wyperfeld NP as well as the 4wd'n we did in the Lerderderg State Forest recently.

Today I pulled Ruby Scoo's power steering pump apart since it blew after the Wyperfeld trip, I was almost at the top of Hotham when I noticed something leaking pretty seriously while pulled over for a photo.

The powersteering pump is an interesting design, I've not seen this before - I was expecting it to be two gears working like a VW oil pump... But it's a little more complicated than that. And it should be an easy fix with a new bearing and a new seal. Otherwise everything looks serviceable - just need to get the parts.

But that got me thinking - I've got an L series PS pump doing nothing so I pulled it apart to find that the EJ PS tank bolts straight to the L series PS pump and that the EJ pulley fits on it too. While mounting it I found the difference between the two pumps - there's two differences actually:

1) the mounting bolts are smaller on the EJ pump, requiring the EJ mount to be re-drilled which I'll be doing to a second mount tomorrow and

2) if you try to change the outlet line bolt they're a different size between the EJ and EA pump - the EJ's was smaller.

Pics tomorrow or sunday hopefully.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:08 pm

^^^ Scrub that ^^^ :( :evil:

While the mounting holes look like the same pattern, the EJ's have been spread out. Short of slotting each hole towards the centre it won't fit. I'm *thinking* of making a U shaped plate that matches the EA's pump bolting pattern to clamp it in place with the holes slotted on the EJ mounting - hopefully I'll have enough clearance between the bolt heads and the pulley to do the job.

Other than this news the only thing I've got to show is the internals of the powersteering pump:

The bearing beside the shaft is the only one in the pump and this is what is shot, there's loads of play in it and from this the seal on the shaft gave out, everything else seems to be in serviceable condition.

Cheers

Bennie

The Loyale

Post by The Loyale » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:11 pm

At least now I know what an EA82 P/S pump looks like in pieces! Hats off to you mate. :)
'92 Loyale - Safariwagon (Under Restoration)

'92 Toyota Landcruiser - Safariwagon-II "Nimble as an Ox!"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:34 am

The Loyale wrote:At least now I know what an EA82 P/S pump looks like in pieces! Hats off to you mate. :)
Thanks mate, This is an EJ pump, but I'm pretty sure they'd be the same, I've not pulled the EA82 pump apart, but it wouldn't be hard to find out if they are the same, I doubt they'd be different internally!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:11 am

Pretty much the same. Just different size. Just need to check for score marks if rebuilding.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:38 am

RSR 555 wrote:Just need to check for score marks if rebuilding.
No score marks from memory. It shagged out pretty quick once that bearing collapsed - I then ran without a belt before I could get the little alternator only belt sorted...

Cheers

Bennie

The Loyale

Post by The Loyale » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Still on the topic of Power Steering pumps, I want to say that the first gen EJ22 (OBD-I) has an almost perfect match P/S pump, where as the 2nd gen EJ22 and up has a slightly different design. Something I read on USMB once. :)

Bennie, I forgot you swapped to EJ power. No tenderness for the old EA eh? :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:23 pm

The Loyale wrote:Still on the topic of Power Steering pumps, I want to say that the first gen EJ22 (OBD-I) has an almost perfect match P/S pump, where as the 2nd gen EJ22 and up has a slightly different design. Something I read on USMB once. :)
Yeah, the difference in the "almost perfect match" of the EA and gen1 EJ PS pumps is the mounting bolt holes are different, everything else is a direct swap! Good thinking Mr Fuji!!
The Loyale wrote:Bennie, I forgot you swapped to EJ power. No tenderness for the old EA eh? :cool:
Not the ones I had back then. I've now come to realise that they are a decent engine... when they're running quietly and don't require the heads to be pulled or the cam boxes to be cleaned up to fix an oil leak... I've got a soft spot for the EA81s, I reckon they're under estimated.

Everyone goes on about how the EA82 produces more power than an EA81 - in stock form - when there's a debate about it. Take a look at the difference in the size of the carbies and that will give you your answer as to why - the EA81 has a smaller carbie!! Smash on a larger unit and you've got an instant power upgrade!
I'd love to do a single port FI conversion on an EA81, that'd be a sweet runner I reckon!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:55 am

The Loyale wrote:Still on the topic of Power Steering pumps, I want to say that the first gen EJ22 (OBD-I) has an almost perfect match P/S pump, where as the 2nd gen EJ22 and up has a slightly different design. Something I read on USMB once. :)

Bennie, I forgot you swapped to EJ power. No tenderness for the old EA eh? :cool:
You can fit the Gen2 Power Steering Pump on the Gen1 but you need to utilise the whole bracket, as the neck (front bearing housing) is larger for the later model.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Bennie intelligently stated:
I've got a soft spot for the EA81s, I reckon they're under estimated.
I think you're right Bennie. Not that I have any engine to compare it to... lol...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

The Loyale

Post by The Loyale » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:18 pm

In the U.S the EA81 is the "Go to Motor" if you don't go EJ. Personally, I think the EA82 gets a lot of bad flack, because of its cooling issues and duel timing belts.

I've never had one problem with my EA82, and I love the sound more so then the EJs :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Well, time for me to come clean - I've been working on Ruby Scoo to keep her moving, sentimental value is the real reason, I'm not ready to part with her yet.

So here's what I'm up to:

She didn't make the Mt Cole 4wd trip as I found the radius rod plate/gearbox crossmember mount plate was basically swinging in the air - after I was all geared up the week before (had a week in Benders before the trip). So no go. Here's the damage:

Oh yeah, and I had to rip out a captive nut when it broke it's welds, took some effort to get this bugger out! I'm also going to fix that rust while I'm there.

The silly season got in the way which was frustrating...

And thus the reason why the rotisserie thread came about :D I purchased this one as I couldn't make anything as sophisticated or buy the materials for the price I got this - fleabay special.

So this is her make over, more pics to come later in the week.

She'll be back better and strong than ever before :twisted: Can't wait, I can tell you that!!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Interior bits pretty much done, just need to make up the plate for the brake pedal mounts and weld it in on the driver's side floor:

Captive nut replacement:

All closed up:

^ Dummied up - a replacement plate was welded in where I cut out the crappy metal

Welded in:

And that's were I'm up to basically. I've spend this morning cutting plates to weld in over each captive nut to help with more strength. Hopefully they'll be welded in this arvo.

Cheers

Bennie

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:06 pm

It must be true love Bennie :D

Nice work so far. Great to see she is coming along and getting closer to been back on the road. I see some hints of your stitch welding too ;)

I think you should go for a EJ25 while you are at it, she should be able to handle the extra power after all of your hard work. Apparently they run straight off a EJ22 loom? Just need to source a good motor.

Good luck finishing her off!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:37 pm

Poor girl, sitting there with her skirt up for all the world to see :p

Looks good Scott, should be nice n strong now. Lot of work though :mrgreen:

BTW, love that rotisserie, looks very strong & very stable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “El Freddo”