Ruby Scoo’s epic build, ten years and counting...

Moderator: El_Freddo

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 25, 2014 7:41 pm

I've got a little bit of room to fit a new fan in that's slightly larger - just don't know if I can get one in that size though:

I'm sure I've got other images of the fans fitted to the radiator with the rad on the floor - I'll have to dig them up as I got a bit creative with the mounting system...

While out in the shed tonight I had a chance to play with the new toy set, I started with this messy system I've never been happy with since it went on the vehicle:

Drill some new holes, a bit of work on a set of arms and presto:

While I was at it I did the same for one of the three captive bolts in the snorkel, being that it was second hand only one of these is usable. I drilled out the bottom one, thought I'd stuffed it up when the heat moved the whole captive nut and the drill bit pulled it out when I tried to remove the bit. The hole left looked huge but it fitted the new unit I was about to put in. This is what I ended up with:

The bracket is in for painting - this is about the 3rd time I reckon, it's rusted up again so it'll cop a few coats of matt black before it goes back on. I couldn't find my black kill rust paint - dunno where it's gone!

So the new toy set is a set of rivnut riveter pliers and a "starter kit" of rivnuts. The riveter does M3 to M8 rivnuts. I'm not 100% sure if I can get an M10 mandurel as the rivnut kit has a set of M10s included in it.

The tool looks very similar to the one above.

It's a pretty good kit, can't wait to see what else I can use it for. The bolts on the A pillar and the snorkel are a set of M6 rivnuts.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Damn you're quick Paul, I couldn't get my whole double post out without a post inbetween :p

Happy 500th post to the thread - only just noticed due to my above winge!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:16 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Damn you're quick Paul, I couldn't get my whole double post out without a post inbetween :p

Happy 500th post to the thread - only just noticed due to my above winge!

Cheers

Bennie
Sorry buddy.. I didn't mean to steal your thunder :(

Nice work on the snork too.. I tried to get a nutsert kit over here at an auction but it went for serious dollars. I hired one heavy duty one many years ago to convert a 2WD L to 4WD. I put the rivnuts in to hold the rear mustache bar brackets. Did the job perfectly. I highly recommend you put anti-seize on the bolts :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 25, 2014 8:57 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Sorry buddy.. I didn't mean to steal your thunder :(
Nah mate, total coincidence that it was the 500 post mark - I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I usually have double posts pre-typed out for a simple and quick cut and paste - this time I didn't count how many pics I had to post :???:
RSR 555 wrote:Nice work on the snork too.. I tried to get a nutsert kit over here at an auction but it went for serious dollars. I hired one heavy duty one many years ago to convert a 2WD L to 4WD. I put the rivnuts in to hold the rear mustache bar brackets. Did the job perfectly. I highly recommend you put anti-seize on the bolts :)
I'm guessing you were going for an industrial unit? This one is just a home handyman unit - should be good for what I want! It has been so far.

Can't wait to get that little bracket back on - but just have to be patient with the painting this time. There will be some thread anti-sieze on those bolts!

Also, every oil seal I've replaced recently is leaking/weeping. You mentioned "plastic grease" to prime oil seals with. What is this stuff and where can I get it as I've been using regular grease which I think has been the downer. Previously I think I was using CV grease to do the job... this seemed to work well.

PITA to do all those seals again!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:53 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I'm guessing you were going for an industrial unit? This one is just a home handyman unit - should be good for what I want! It has been so far.
Yeah it was heavy duty stuff but I could do with the handyman one too. I did use a small one on "that" grey L to hold the boost controller bracket and it made it look factory fitted :)
El_Freddo wrote:Also, every oil seal I've replaced recently is leaking/weeping. You mentioned "plastic grease" to prime oil seals with. What is this stuff and where can I get it as I've been using regular grease which I think has been the downer. Previously I think I was using CV grease to do the job... this seemed to work well.

PITA to do all those seals again!
I bet it would be. Not all greases are the same as some will eat away the rubber. It's not plastic grease but "rubber" grease. I use one from PBR that I can use when rebuilding brakes.

You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bantum
General Member

Captive ...

Post by Bantum » Mon May 26, 2014 1:34 pm

El_Freddo wrote: ... captive bolts & rivnut riveter pliers ...
I've done something similar :

Tool I used is slightly different though ... :)

Found you had to be careful how big you made the hole ( a tight fit works best ) & there's all different types of insert nuts available ( in Alumina etc. ) for the 'softer' ones you have to be aware of their strength capacity. It can be a pita if ya can't get it to 'bite' metal ( will spin free when try to tighten a bolt in it ), so found if you rough up the hole with a file beforehand helps ( & if that don't work get the chisel out & score opposite sides of nut against inside edge ) ... :p

Cheers, Bantum ...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Thanks Paul, that would explain it :( My brother is in the same position with the SCAT - we thought it odd that both of our vehicles were doing the same thing with seals that were specifically ordered in :evil:

Bantum, I've seen those units but like the one we've got - I specifically went with this one so that I could apply pressure on the rivnut as you squash it into place.

I shoved some red oxide in the hole and on the rivnut as a seal - a dodgy one I know.

The plan is to buy a set of drill bits to suit the rivnuts. I've gone for nikel plated steel inserts. It seems that you can't get M12 in steel, its aluminium or nothing. The drill bit I used was slightly too big but I got away with it this time around - I'm not worried as it's a relatively low stress point.

Cheers

Bennie

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon May 26, 2014 8:56 pm

You want a silicone grease for use on some rubbers, which will expand when they come in contact with any sort of pertrochemical based grease, fuel etc. I screwed up with my IACV when I clean it and the rubber with degreaser... also screwed up when I used bearing grease to lubricate my caliper pins. It swells the little rubber on the end of the top one and actually seized one of my rear calipers at one point.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Dunno how I've gotten away with this so far - I must have just got it right. I must admit that we are using a different grease to prime the seals with.

I'll workout when I can do the work, I'm sick of leaks - I had Ruby Scoo sealed up really well, now she leaves drip marks on the ground over night and has those little spots on the back of the vehicle :evil:

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Be careful of the grease you use Bennie, as Venom has mentioned some petroleum based ones will cause the rubber to swell. I cannot recommend the PBR stuff enough. As for caliper pins, I use Kopr-Kote on all mine and this also doubles up for anti-seize on all my bolts :) What ever you do, do not use nickel based products on your slide pins.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 30, 2014 10:07 pm

I've used graphite grease on the slide pins, seems to have worked so far with a good set of dust boots on as well.

As for my brother's scat it turns out he's using the old oil seal as the replacement one didn't fit properly, snug on the crank but very loose on the crankcase mounting face. Apparently he'll get it done on the mount in about 5hrs once he's got the correct unit.

As for Ruby's seals, I just need to find the time to do them, will probably leave the engine in as there's some stuff I want to do with the gearbox that I'm still toying with in my mind - as to wether or not I do it).

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat May 31, 2014 4:31 pm

Thats a bugger about your seals, hope its not too much of a PITA to do.

That radiator looks good, cant wait to see it! & space for a bigger fan...cool! :cool:

I noticed there's a little bracket holding the fan that is politely asking for some paint :p

When the captive nut came out of the snorkel, how did you hold it back in? Did you drill out all the nuts? I just used big steel rivets to hold my bracket to the pillar, then SS bolts to the snorkel. The original bolts started rusting within weeks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:14 pm

NachaLuva wrote:I noticed there's a little bracket holding the fan that is politely asking for some paint :p
That little fan bracket might not be there for much longer - I just don't know yet, we'll see...
NachaLuva wrote:When the captive nut came out of the snorkel, how did you hold it back in?
I used one of my rivnuts in there. I'm yet to get a bolt into it - got a clearance issue with another nut to sort out. I didn't see that issue when I made the bracket and drilled the holes in the A pillar. I need to source a set of flat head bolts or something of the like - it's on the to do list!

My rear seal on the gearbox was leaking so bad that I picked up a new seal and a tube of the plastic grease - then fixed it after breakfast before hitting the tracks :D

Can't wait to do the front engine seals and the rear main now... When is the question :???:

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:19 am

El_Freddo wrote: My rear seal on the gearbox was leaking so bad that I picked up a new seal and a tube of the plastic grease - then fixed it after breakfast before hitting the tracks :D
What would an offroad trip with Bennie be like without roadside repairs! :p
Can't wait to do the front engine seals and the rear main now... When is the question :???:
I'm sure there'll be another trip coming up soon :p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

The Loyale

Post by The Loyale » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:02 pm

Bennie, Any photos of how you molded the Snorkel to fit the fender so well? This is the '90-'97 Montero Snorkel right? I'm going to get one for Safariwagon and am looking for more insight for a clean proper look like you've gotten.

PM me if you would like. I will try to check on here more :)

-Tom
El_Freddo wrote:And a couple of pics of the snorkel:

Just need to tweak the angle of the head as you can see:

Very happy with the result!

Cheers

Bennie
'92 Loyale - Safariwagon (Under Restoration)

'92 Toyota Landcruiser - Safariwagon-II "Nimble as an Ox!"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:26 pm

The Loyale wrote:Bennie, Any photos of how you molded the Snorkel to fit the fender so well? This is the '90-'97 Montero Snorkel right? I'm going to get one for Safariwagon and am looking for more insight for a clean proper look like you've gotten.

PM me if you would like. I will try to check on here more :)

-Tom
No worries Tom.

Here are couple of threads: over here it's the Mitsubishi NH, NK, N-something model that the snorkel is from ;)

showthread.php?t=18168&page=3

showthread.php?t=23314&page=3

Both threads have some reading but there are some good pics that show the process minus actually doing the heat gun bit.

Looking at it now I could've moved the snorkel back 10-15mm for a better snug fit on the A pillar but then the outlet to the air box would require cutting of the support in front of the strut tower - you'll know the part I'm talking about ;)

This snorkel is also the one to use on the foz - checkout Nachaluva's snorkel on his foz ;)

Cheers

Bennie

The Loyale

Post by The Loyale » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:53 am

Right awesome! Thanks for the threads and that gives a bit of insight. I must buy a Heatgun now :p Also thank you for the tip on filling the snorkel with sand to keep its shape.

This would be the Snorkel I'm going with, I think this is actually the same one you have Vs. just not being Safari brand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-PAJE ... 1059163830

I did look at the Snorkel for the MK Triton and it does seem like it may work as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:50 pm

The Loyale wrote:I must buy a Heatgun now :p Also thank you for the tip on filling the snorkel with sand to keep its shape.
Beg, borrow, but best not to steal! If you can borrow a heat gun that saves a bit of coin ;) I was able to borrow one from a mate!

The sand was very useful. You can use it's weight to help with the bending. Biggest issue with the bending was getting the heat between the guard and the back of the snorkel, I want mine bent further but now that it's on the car I'm not going to bother as I'll damage the paint with the heat.

Get a dodgy guard to cut your holes and do your bending with to get it right before you hack your good guard ;)
The Loyale wrote:This would be the Snorkel I'm going with, I think this is actually the same one you have Vs. just not being Safari brand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-PAJE ... 1059163830

I did look at the Snorkel for the MK Triton and it does seem like it may work as well.
I really haven't looked into the Triton unit as I don't need to - the Paj one I've got has done the job beautifully.

Check out this one, a bit cheaper but you need to check out the cost of postage to you.

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:12 am

I think this is the one I used
Snorkel Pajero NH NK 90-97 | eBay

$105 + free shipping in Australia. Send them a message asking how much shipping to you will be. I found him very friendly & easy to deal with.

Also, try reading this thread, has the info you need plus links to other snorkel threads:
DIY Snorkel Installation
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Loyale

Post by The Loyale » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:40 pm

Good idea! Thank you both for the help! Now that you mention it, I may be able to borrow a heatgun from a friend of mine.

Stealing is never a good idea, but "borrowing" something for multiple years isn't a horrid idea now is it...? :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “El Freddo”