Ruby Scoo’s epic build, ten years and counting...

Moderator: El_Freddo

Subyroo

Re: Ruby Scoo’s epic build, ten years and counting...

Post by Subyroo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:01 pm

Bennie re the cracked rubber, try Gorilla Glue on the crack.
Gorilla Super Glue Gel is specially formulated to absorb impacts, drops, and shocks as it contains tiny rubber particles that increase its strength and impact resistance. Works well for bonding rubber as well as plastic, metal, wood, ceramic, leather, paper and other materials.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:37 pm

Yay Ruby scoo is back! :mrgreen: Good to see she is still getting some love. Is that cracked rubber piece a replaceable part? Or can you "repair" it with a sealant or silicone of some sort?
I've been having water leakage issues in my wagon too, traced it to the windscreen rubber. Have had wet carpet in the drivers foot well a few times in the last few weeks before I tracked it down :cry: Got my hands on some mastic sealer to squirt under the rubber like the manual says to do, never got around to it before. We've been having the most rain since 5 years in the past 4 weeks it's been incredible.

You might have said before but, is Ruby scoo going to see any more camping/4wd'ing trips in the future? ;) I know you've upgraded to something a bit more stout in recent times. Would love to join you on a trip some time now my wagon is all but ready :twisted:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:45 am

Hey Suparoo, thanks for the suggestion, dunno if it’ll work on the section required. It’s where the window winds up to when in the fully up position, this rubber bit covers over the top of the window when up. So it’s a one piece left, right and over. It could be more plastic than rubber, dunno really.

Silverbullet, yes it’s replaceable. I have to remove the whole corner triangle piece and possibly the front window runner, it’s been a while since I swapped them out! I’ll have to see what I have stashed away in good condition and when I can swap it.

And yes, Ruby Scoo see more offroad action, just without the whole family unless we take two vehicles (I doubt Mrs El_Freddo will want to be the sole driver offroad. It’s hard enough to get her in the drivers seat out bush at times!).

I’m hoping that once these mods are done that I finally move into the maintaining phase where I can start to tidy up a few areas that need attention. And then just drive her lots! 600,000km? Yes pls!!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:12 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:45 am
Hey Suparoo, thanks for the suggestion, dunno if it’ll work on the section required. It’s where the window winds up to when in the fully up position, this rubber bit covers over the top of the window when up. So it’s a one piece left, right and over. It could be more plastic than rubber, dunno really.
Cheers

Bennie
This is what you are talking about ... Y/N?

No harm in trying the Gorilla glue or even Superglue, might save you having to replace it altogether.
I Superglued a part of my Forester gusset, but it was so long ago (+10yrs) I have forgotten exactly where it was on the gusset. More than likely the same place as it appears to be a common problem, along with this one about wind noise...

Good luck Bennie.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:27 pm

That’s the spot Subyroo! Except that mine is cracked over the top just to the inside. Seems to be enough to let the water leak in. Hence why I thought some tape might fix it.

I don’t know if my triangle piece is fitted properly or not as the window wants to come up a bit further than the triangle really wants it to. Small things and was never an issue until last year :sad:

Now to find out the last time I did a cam belt on it as I can still read the words on the one that’s in it now, not like just an outline left, but all the words are easily found, just browny in colour...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “El Freddo”