- LSD diff

IMG_0957 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Dann wrote:*cough* PICS? *cough*

Any progress?
pics of what? and best get down to a chemist for some cough medicine :p
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Dann

Post by Dann » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:07 pm

haha pics of 'any' progress happening at the moment :)
Cheers,
Dann
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... t=dann%27s

Looking for:
- LSD diff

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Well okay, I just went and took some photos just this minute.

The first pic litterally shows the progress since my last post - ie, cobwebs;

Here are two others;

That's where she's been parked since the gearbox packed it in (in the yard at my office). I'm sure it's just a minor issue with just the rear transfer of it - most likely the drop gears because it's an aussie RS box. I'm hoping to swap these out with a standard 1:1 gearset to prevent it happening in the future. But of course I don't really know until I get under there and swing some spanners. Been back from the most recent overseas trip for a few days now but I still don't forsee any time in the immediate future for working on the wagon - putting a house on the market, and doing it all yourself to avoid agent fees is quite time consuming!

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:53 pm

nice bullbar and mirrors :P

cant wait till you get her going again andrew, then we will have to go for a spin...still rwd only?

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Yeah at the moment it's just the RS turbo gearbox (modified to RWD), going to single piece tailshaft, going to 4.111 CLSD. Still stock diff mounting and L series driveshafts, so not game to drop skids in the dry for fear of smashing the rear end to bits with axel tramp etc. Fun as hell in the wet though :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:30 am

Will this 6 inch lift ever see the roads/tracks less travelled??

Still looks like a beast though!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:57 am

Yeah it did a bit of offroading in the pines, and a fair bit around the back of the estate where I live not that long after the lift kit went in. But she's yet to see any offroading in the current configuration, mostly due to being rwd.
One day.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun May 08, 2011 11:13 am

Okay so I pulled the rear housing of the gearbox out, and yep, the drop gears are smashed.

So before I just simply replace them, I want to see what can be done to try and improve things in there with a view to this not happening again in the near future.
The trouble is I'm putting 100% of the drive through these gears via a locked centre, rather than most of it through the front diff and only some (via lsd centre) to the rear.
Seems a little strange though as I hadn't heard of this happening to other people who've run these AWD turbo gearboxes in RWD before. I even know of a guy named Scott in WA who has a gearbox exactly like this in an L series, which is basically a dedicated burnout car!
I didn't do one burnout (on a dry road), or one launch or really any hard driving at all. I do have big 29" tyres which I suppose adds extra load but I still wasn't expecting this breakage.
Two theories though.
1 - I had the centre welded so it's locked - You can see by the discolouration. It's possible that the weight of this unit is having a flywheel type of effect on the drop gears and adding extra load from the added momentum. (note that it was separated when welded so the gears themselves weren't effected by heat).
2 - I'm not sure of the kms on the gearbox, but it is an old original aussie RS box from circa `92. The shifting action is good and there aren't any funny sounds, but I suppose these drop gears that broke could have had a pre-existing weakness and I was just unlucky. Normally in standard AWD mode it would have gone undetected and probably lasted ages.

So to try and address both of these issues this is what I'm doing.
1 - Obtaining an MRT spool to replace the centre diff entirely. This is just a single piece of machined metal specifically made to convert AWD boxes to RWD.
2 - The MRT spool is only to suit late model rear housings so I'll have to source on of these too - I'm told this should bolt on still. This means hopefully I should get a much lower kms and newer drop gear set.

I suppose another thing would be to look into billet gears, but that would be too expensive.

Aiming to get the bits and bolt them back into the car this week. Then I'll charge the battery and blow out the cobwebs (litterally) to test it out.

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sun May 08, 2011 12:14 pm

chop chop still waiting hahaa

davo
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 08, 2011 6:19 pm

Have you thought about using a dedicated rear wheel drive gearbox for this setup?

I ask this as I've been reading about the W series toyota transmission adaptors that are in the process of being fabricated in the US. I believe they're close to production at $US300 a piece plus the throw out bearing setup then the matching shifter setup. It would probably be the best setup for the divorced transfer setup you're using, no drop gears to worry about!

The link starts at page 15 with some pics of the first one that's been made up. This thread is kind of like Toonga's build up thread ;) With the US dollar under the AU dollar now would be the best time to jump in on this if you decide to go with this setup...

Food for thought or spanner in the works by bennie :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun May 15, 2011 5:14 pm

That's pretty cool ElFreddo, thanks for the link. If it's 300 bucks it's worth considering! I shall keep an eye on that one but for now I'll see how it goes. I wonder if the toyota stud pattern is anything like the Mazda one. I've got 3 Mazda 5speeds sitting around already lol.

Got the rwd spool and late model drop gears with matching rear housing.
Here they are assembled waiting to be bolted in.

Put it back together, took her on a ~45km trip. Works fine again.

One day I'll get some time to do some more general strengthening/bracing and fit the front diff and transfer case.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:30 am

Drew.. from my memory, Scott's L sedan was (maybe still) running import gearbox (4.11) and these boxes and also some of the later WRX boxes didn't have the drop down transfer gearset like the the Aussie RS and early Aussie WRX boxes have. The early Aussie RS and WRX boxes had a 3.9 (going off memory here) front ratio and then dropped to a 3.545 ratio on the rear. This is maybe why there is extra strain on the smaller gear and caused it to fracture.

BTW.. love the spool piece :mrgreen: I remember the guy who brought my 1UZ converted Hilux Surf, had a green Brumby (show car/drag car/burnout car) and he made his RWD conversion from a set of CV joint cups and never had any issues.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon May 16, 2011 2:09 pm

Yeah but whether it drops the ratio or not, these gears are still required and those later model gearboxes do have them, they just don't change the ratio - their main function is to change the direction of rotation of the output where the tailshaft goes on. At least that's my understanding from chatting to Doug while looking at my rear casing pulled apart.
Rally cars don't have these gears, the output just comes straight out without going through these gears, but their rear diffs are designed to rotate the other direction.
I spoke to Scott (his L was at Doug's workshop on Saturday) - his box is running a slightly different locked setup to mine. He still has the front diff and stubs connected, although no front driveshafts, and instead of welding the centre diff, his has been replaced with a combination of part of a CV cup and some welds.
He remembered, actually he has smashed the drop gears once in the past, but mostly just does rear driveshafts and the occasional diff.

Ideally I need a propper RWD gearbox but we'll see how this goes.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:11 am

Yeah sorry Andrew, I should have worded that better. They do have the transfer gears, they just don't drop down like the RS boxes do. So the gearset in the transfer case have the same size gears (equally splitting the torque). Scott's L is on the extreme side of the kinda pressures that anyone will ever see on a 4 bolt gearbox. I'm pretty confident you'd never put your L through those kind of conditions.

There are ways to make your box/gearsets stronger but the money you would be spending, you'd be better off buying a larger 4x4 gearbox.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue May 17, 2011 11:29 am

These gears I have now I *think* are just 1:1 ratio. At least I would assume so. They are from a later model gearbox, I even had to swap to the matching later model rear housing as they didn't fit into the original Aussie RS one (original one had snap rings etc, later one doesn't and the gears are slightly different shape). I think only the Aussie RS had the weird 3.54 ratio rear diff so any other gearbox wouldn't actually change the ratio with these gears.
Hopefully they are a bit more resilient from this, also from being later model and lower kms (although strangely Doug is offering me no warranty on them in this application, HA!).

That's right his is probably more extreme application to mine, although, imagine the pressures I'd be putting them through in this situation - boggy beach sand driving, on boost with EJ20turbo, 2.27:1 low range with locked centre engaged. I think these gears will still definitely be the weak point in the driveline.

Just have to play it by ear now.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Yeah.. if you or Doug fitted the later rear gearset then you would have needed to change the rear housing, another reason is due to the centre diff won't match.

Early WRXs had the same box as the Aussie RS.. I know this because I'm using the early WRX running gear for Murtie.

I'm going to be running similar setup to you.. so we'll see how mine goes too :mrgreen:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue May 17, 2011 8:29 pm

I fitted it :) but yeah it's supposedly later model than the RS and was quite different, requiring the housing to be swapped too. Yeah the centre diff looked like it wouldn't fit, and the RWD spool I bought supposedly only suits the later model gear shafts too.
What setup are you going to be running specifically? Is this for the RSR offroader?

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Still using the car daily for work covering quite a few kms atm.
Here she is parked in West Perth a couple of days ago for a client meeting.

There's been a bit of a thud developing when taking up slack in the driveline, ie just taking off from standstill etc.
I suspected main diff hanger bush (the one on the forward part of the diff) as I've experienced this before and sure enough, the rubber had disintegrated a fair bit and it was just flogging around making the thud noise. I guess RWD only takes it's toll on this bit.
I'd had a spare diff hanger sitting there for a while which I got from Brendan ages ago, it has a very very solid red bush custom fitted to it. Doesn't look like it will ever wear out.

Also the rear suspension in my wagon has been getting pretty slack lately. It was a pair of KYB shocks and Kings springs which I'd bought brand new but this was quite a few years ago now and the car saw a lot of 4x4ing on them back then. Looks like I've worn them out.
I've had the set I was running in the RX Sedan (exactly the same kind) sitting in the garage ever since I sold the RX. They were basically still brand new, didn't see much use and it was only on the road too. These aren't the slightly longer 2wd ones but seem to suit well enough.

Put the diff hanger and the shocks/springs in early this morning. Big difference :)
Handles even better around corners now with the new shocks/springs and the diff bush fixed the thud straight up.

I've got a few spare moustache bars sittings around too, I really should get around to zapping up a double one at some stage, still just running the standard one but it's still completely straight somehow!

Dann

Post by Dann » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:54 pm

looking gwd there, haha really stands out now :)
Cheers,
Dann
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... t=dann%27s

Looking for:
- LSD diff

Return to “AndrewT”