Building a car

mattims

Post by mattims » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:38 pm

its a cunning ploy to make you buy new cars... then break them and modify them anyway.. i dont think i quite understand it.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:14 am

Congrats mate, have fun with her!

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:39 pm

AndrewT wrote:But yeah, if I was worried about all the ridiculously bureaucratic system of legalities associated with modified cars then I'd just drive around in an inferior car with less modifications, but wheres the fun in that! :)
Ahhh got ya... then why not just leave it like this ( pic below with these plates) and save yaself all the hassle :-P

Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:10 pm

Because for the purposes of a quick test run around the block, those were the plates from my wagon.
Now the RX has it's own registration and plates making it totally legit rego wise (well the plates will come soon enough once the government gets it's act together. The stat decs take ages!).

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed May 14, 2008 10:49 am

After paying for and receiving my new license plates a while back I've just got the receipt for the new registration in the mail.

It's got the Make (subaru), Body (sedan), Year (1986), Colour (wh), Tare (1600), Engine number (xxxx), VIN (xxxxxxBR0BExxxxx) and a few other little details all filled in fine.
But the Model and Engine Capacity fields are just completely blank.

I thought it was a bit strange for these two seemingly key bits of information to be left blank (especially seeing as it's only recently been through the police inspection!) so I called up the DPI.

They had to check with the supervisor etc etc...
Apparently for light non-commercial cars, especially ones this old, that kind of information is not even required and the inspectors just don't bother to fill it in any more.
They said they just need the make, engine number and VIN number and the department is happy.

How slack can the WA licensing department get!

I'm just disappointed the rego papers for my Genuine RX-Turbo just say "Make - Subaru" on the paperwork!

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Wed May 14, 2008 1:32 pm

AndrewT wrote:
I'm just disappointed the rego papers for my Genuine RX-Turbo just say "Make - Subaru" on the paperwork!
yeah that might come in handy if the car ever gets sold.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:52 am

Update on the RX.

Well I've had a bloody good run with it. Put over 60,000kms on since building it and it's barely skipped a beat. I had a slight issue early on with injector Oring seals....but this could have been avoided if I'd sprung for getting the injectors reconned during conversion.

Now that I've upgraded to the GT legacy, the RX is completely surplus to me.

I plan to part it out.

I'll most likely be handing in the licence plates and getting the body disposed of. Not the best end for the car but it's had a good run. I'd like to pass it on to somebody else but I can't see a practical way of doing it. I need to keep alot of the parts for MonsterWagon (engine etc). I can't see it selling very easily as a fully licenced car minus these parts...a few months ago I put an EOI up for this scenario and had a grand total of ZERO enquiries. Therefore basically the car has to go in the bin. I'll sell as many of the unwanted parts as I can (rear discs etc).

For others wanting to do a similar conversion to their L series, I HIGHLY recommend this conversion. It really turned the car into something else entirely. It's been great on fuel, fantastic to drive (either spirited or cruising) and very reliable. Hopefully this thread should serve as a fairly good guide in addition to all the other info available on the forum and I hope it helps.

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:58 pm

has your tool box space rusted out like my rx and it is the only rust i have to fix up to get rego .

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:51 pm

Nah the toolbox area wasn't too bad.

I'm happy to report that this car is now destined to live on!
I was planning to part it out and have the body taken away to the scrap metal murchants and crushed - there was nothing else I could do with it.

But now it's been bought by someone and from what I understand the plans are to return it to stock spec (EA82T) and fix it up good. I'm sure they will announce it's progress on here eventually.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:35 am

Good to hear AT! We need to keep as many of these old subi's on the road!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “AndrewT”