General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Settlement Creek Racing

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Well done Stuart

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:16 pm

The astonishing thing is this vehicle not only finished the race but finished in 43rd position out of 99 entries with vehicles like $200K+ Geiser Trophy Trucks and $100K+ Jimco buggies DNFing and not making it to the end.
I love that part :cool: Well done mate that's an amazing accomplishment, hope you convinced a few people of what a Subi is capable of ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:05 pm

I love the fact they're all so gob-smacked that a brumby finished the race!

Well done, you've gotta be pretty stoked with that!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:05 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Well done, you've gotta be pretty stoked with that!
Stoked enough that I really should update this thread. I feel a bit more motivated too after being contacted by Tony from Oregon and then reading his build thread here

Just shows what you can do on a tight budget and a conservative driving style.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:06 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Well done, you've gotta be pretty stoked with that!
Stoked enough that I really should update this thread. I feel a bit more motivated too after being contacted by Paul from Oregon and then reading his build thread here

Just shows what you can do on a tight budget and a conservative driving style.
Settlement Creek Racing

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:01 pm

^ And all I've done tonight is read up on this build. Very interesting.

Also note that a gen 3/4 outback built up by a US member was up for sale last feb... Didn't hear about that on the forums!

Still going on the reading, at page 24 of 34 :rolleyes:

Good find Brumbyrunner!

Cheers

Bennie

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:43 pm

So if we rewind back to April last year, I'd put the front strut bulges into the bonnet so it could be lowered back down to it's original height, installed new rotary buckle harnesses due to the old ones being out of time and then presented the car for Bi-Annual scruiteneering in Alice Springs.

While we were there we entered a local club race, the Zaglass Memorial which is a day/night event, as a shake-down before Finke. This probably saved us from DNFing at Finke because the motor grenaded in the first couple of kms and we were in the market for a new engine. We got home and stripped the motor down to discover this

I had been planning for some time to get a built motor for the car but with only 8 weeks until Finke, I didn't think we had time to do it properly. My good mate Jeff (from *********) pulled some strings and found us a really good V6 STI import. It wasn't complete as we needed our old turbo, alternator, p/s pump, flywheel etc which was all still good from the old motor. We freighted it up to the NT, got it bolted in and running just in time to head back to Alice Springs for Finke.
It was running really rough until we swapped over the injectors from the old motor and we were good to go. Frog came through with new spark plugs, leads and coil.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:33 am

Finke 2012 was the the quietest one yet. No Backyard Boys, no family, no crew at all. We didn't even have anyone to drive the truck but my good mate Dan (with the Ranger a few pages back) had his truck going down to meet him at Finke, so we through our spares, tools and fuel in too.

Prologue was a pretty steady time of 6:06 which was 3rd in class and 50th outright from 84 starters.

Race day one saw us lose a lot of time stopping to deal with a myriad of problems. First a relay stopped the low pressure pump from working but we fixed that. Then we had our first ever tyre change when one of the MTRs went flat. And to top it all off we ran out of fuel and had to "borrow" a jerry can from a generous race fan on the side of the track. Don't even know who he is but we were very grateful. We finished day one 3rd in class and 40th outright in a time of 3hrs26min.

We had also torn a front inner CV boot so we changed that and re-gased the shocks and got ready for day 2.

We actually had a great run out of Finke and were making time on the competition when the gearbox let go about 40kms in. It looked like the front diff had tried to jump out of the case and was leaking oil badly. We decided to continue on slowly and just try to finish if the gearbox held up. The gear shifting was still okay and we still had all five but it was making a deafening grinding noise.

Strangely enough, the noise began to ease so we went a little faster, then faster again, and soon we were back to race pace albeit with only rear drive. Don't know how the gearbox held up with no oil and all that grinding, but it did, and that 20kg Viscous Centre did a superb job of directing enough drive to the back diff. We still did it in 3hrs30min and that was enough for 3rd in class and 35th outright.

You can see the small hole in the side of the case. It doesn't look much but that 'box is toast.
Settlement Creek Racing

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:59 am

So did you find out what 'let go' ? Both in the yea old engine & gear box above ?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:29 am

^ That's awesome! Good times eh?

Keen to read more when you've got the time ;)

Cheers

Bennie

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:28 am

Check out this footage of us hitting some whoops waaaay too fast....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfSy8j2_ ... el&list=UL
Settlement Creek Racing

Bantum
General Member

Speed Bumps ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:23 am

Just watched 10 min worth, very cool ... :D

I note how everyone had slowed down by the end of the run ... :cool:

Liked your run the best ( 6 min mark ), almost made it all the way too ! ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:22 am

After Finke 2012, I started work on the dry sump. It was handy having a blown motor to mock up everything and for grinding & welding without fear of damaging the motor. I bought most of my parts from Petersons in the USA and they were great to deal with. Good advise and superfast freight.
First I mounted up the Petersons scavenge pump and new ATI harmonic balancer. These are a great unit anyway, but you need one to mount the belt-drive sprocket onto. Peterson also makes this soild billet alloy mount that bolts to the alternator bracket where the aircon compressor usually lives. Everything lined up just fine with any minor adjustment available from the sprocket on the pump shaft.

Settlement Creek Racing

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:06 am

"Go the brumby!!!" ..."did ya see the brumby...?" " eyahehhhe..." "Hey!!! we could do one of them!!!!" ... "do you want a chicken sambo...?"

What makes the Oz outback the Oz outback :)

I'm guessing there was at least 4-5 feet of air on a couple of those whoops

Awsome stuff

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:09 am

Umm ... what are going to do with the water lines, as won't they interfere with that pimp setup ? ... :p

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:54 am

Loved the video. Looks like the Brumby took it in its stride compared to some of the bigger vehicles including the pro buggies!

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the setup.

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:48 pm

brumbyrunner wrote:the motor grenaded in the first couple of kms and we were in the market for a new engine. We got home and stripped the motor down to discover this
Ouch! Any idea what happened?
brumbyrunner wrote:the gearbox let go about 40kms in. It looked like the front diff had tried to jump out of the case and was leaking oil badly.
Don't know how the gearbox held up with no oil and all that grinding, but it did, and that 20kg Viscous Centre did a superb job of directing enough drive to the back diff. We still did it in 3hrs30min and that was enough for 3rd in class and 35th outright.

You can see the small hole in the side of the case. It doesn't look much but that 'box is toast.
Way to keep going against the odds...awesome effort! :twisted:

BTW, how do you find the 20kg centre onroad?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Bantum wrote:Umm ... what are going to do with the water lines, as won't they interfere with that pimp setup ? ... :p
One of the many issues that had to be sorted out. Stay tuned....I'll get to it.
NachaLuva wrote:Ouch! Any idea what happened?
Way to keep going against the odds...awesome effort! :twisted:
BTW, how do you find the 20kg centre onroad?
>I think #4 bigend let go. I honestly haven't spend much time investigating. As far as I'm concerned these motors needs better lubrication. When I get my new motor built, it'll be getting crank phasing.
>thanks
>I've never had a 20kg centre onroad but I wouldn't advise it. They're pretty tight.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:51 am

The primary goal for my dry sump installation was improving the approach angle. N/A motors are bad enough, but when you have to contend with a turbo crossover pipe in front of an already low hanging sump and then raise the body and bumper away from it, the approach angle gets woeful and the components are horrible exposed. Any Subaru off-roaders already know this I'm sure. In the beginning, I made a steel bashplate to protect the front-end and tie it all together and it's done a fine job. However, it does strike the ground regularly and needs straightening after every race.

So to this end, I tried to make everything below the block as "tucked up" and streamlined as I could. With the exhaust and sump removed the lowest hanging things are the oil pump and oil filter. I removed the oil cooler housing and using a metric nipple, bolted the oil filter directly to the block. The dry sump will hold about twice as much oil and have lines running all the way to the back of the cab, so cooling won't be a problem. The oil cooler coolant return line runs to a port in the block which un-screws and I replaced it with a plug. The coolant supply line comes direct from the water pump which also has two other outlets that I thought I didn't need. The outlets are pressed in so I removed them and tapped out the ports so I could screw plugs in their place.

I had intended to use a N/A pump (on the left) but the thermostat housing hangs down too low.
Settlement Creek Racing

Return to “Brumbyrunner”