The Brumbyrunner Project

Moderator: brumbyrunner

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:55 am

Did you sort out the starting issue yet?

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:39 am

No, been too busy.
Knocked these templates up last night. Water temp gauge should be in todays mail so if it's any good I'll order the full set.
How easy/hard would it be to find the warning light signals from the factory cluster for oil pressure, charge, ignition (and anything else I've missed) and wire them up to individual LEDs in the dash?
Settlement Creek Racing

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:43 am

dead easy mate. no problem at all ;)

take the rear boot off the speedo so you can sit it flush up against the dash and decide where you want it. You will probably need to disconnect the wiring from the back of the speedo. Just push the orange tabs down to release teh wires.

make sure you take a photo of where the wires go first though... I dont remember what goes where. Will save me figuring it out again!
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Handy being able to lay out your gauges where they work for you. Realizing you have a co pilot and not knowing just how busy you are behind the wheel some will install their oil, amp and temp gauges where their needles will point straight up at normal operating ranges, at quick glance you check for vertical instead of reading the gauge. Just a thought...and I'm glad to see things happening again with the Brumby.
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

subarooster

Post by subarooster » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:11 pm

Just a quick tip, be careful using an LED for your charge light because it uses the resistance in the bulb to excite the alternator to start charging so u'll hav to run an in line resistor. ;)

Current Projects: *Offroad Racing MY Touring Wagon.
* EA82T Jap spec L series Wagon.

Previous rides: *Supercharged EJ25 Rwd Brumby
* 2 x 91' L series Ej20, 3 inch lift, mud tyres.
01' Liberty B4.

brumbyrunner
General Member

charge light

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:11 pm

So, you're better off running a conventional bulb type idiot light?
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:29 pm

I found these Isotto Metrika gauges and thought they might be just the ticket for the new dash. They use stepper motors and subsequently run a full 270* sweep. They're all metric, 52mm and there's six plus a tacho (allbeit a monter 5") in the range. Just what I need really. Pretty good value when you order the full set too.
So not trusting the website, I just ordered one to see what it was like.
This is what they look like.
I haven't hooked it up but first impressions aren't good. The face sits very deep and with the curved lense, makes it difficult to see from the side. Then I found out the oil temp was discontinued.
The search continues....
Settlement Creek Racing

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:04 am

Just for kicks here are the 2 performance and racing equip outfits in the us. Both are on line only stores with lots of eye candy..
http://www.jegs.com
http://www.summitracing.com
Mark

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:10 am

Thanks for the links, there's certainly plenty to look at on those sites.
Unfortunately, most US on-line shops and manufactures sell products that don't cater for metric customers.
Settlement Creek Racing

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:12 am

yes I agree, I took a look earlier and very few speedo's had kph's, and those that did had mph emphasized. I thought you already have your speedo. Well at any rate its good to know whats out there. I couldnt find an au distributor for sunpro or vdo, I think there pretty close to top of the line. I do now that sunpro offers metric kits on their gauges, used them on my subi. Au has some great vendors for sub performance and acc. that we dont have here.
Good luck Stuart,
Mark

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:43 am

I use a custom GPS speedo kindly built and supplied by vincentvega and the company he works for.
The metric gauges I'm talking about are degrees C and kPa.
VDO, Autometer and Stewart Warner all have metric versions but mostly only found in Aussie stores.
At the moment I'm leaning towards the Stewart Warner Performance line like this one.
Settlement Creek Racing

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:53 am

What about apexi and buying direct from Japan?

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:11 pm

sweet! I forgot all about stewart warner...and had not considered c vs f on the temp either.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:25 pm

When I put the rear shocks in before Gundy, it became apparent that I hadn't cut enough out of the wheel arches. I didn't have time to carve up the body then so I limited the bump travel to stop the tyres from contacting the inner guard. I'm now going to make full use of the 2" of extra wheel travel and also take advantage of the internal hydraulic bumpstops that these shocks come with. As you can see, the tyre just touches the inner guard at full bump.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:46 am

Got some work done on the rear guards today.
Here's a close up of the rear tyre at full bump before we started. You can see that it's almost touching.
So we re-cut the wheel arch a bit higher and made sure there was enough room to run 32" tyres this time. It'll actually just fit 33"s but i can't imagine running them on this track width.

We cut right in to the rear pick up points on the cage leaving in the strengthening rib that runs down to the chassis rail. Also looking at relocating the battery box behind the fuel tank and maybe running the exhaust out through the side panel where the battery used to live.
Settlement Creek Racing

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:50 am

Lookin mean...how far away is your next race season?

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:53 am

as a scrutineer im pretending i didnt see that lol.
work looks reasonable. just for a bit of fun you should about running somother events itll teach you how to drive differently.
i started years ago with motorkhanas and we reacon thats moved over to the track with my control and choice of line, for off road try some dirt motorkahnas or rally style events, less bumps and you learn to get close and choose a line

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:32 am

"structural integrity" :)

lucky the rear half of the chassis is really only carrying fuel, the spare and a diff.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:58 am

T'subaru wrote:Lookin mean...how far away is your next race season?
The first round in the Australian championship is over Easter which is the first weekend in April. I'm going to try and make it but there's a lot to do before then.
spike wrote:as a scrutineer im pretending i didnt see that lol.
See what? There's nothing there to worry a scrutineer. :confused:
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:49 pm

Got the wheel-arches re-sheeted today. Last time we did this we cut and welded a bunch of small bits together because we couldn't get the shape we wanted and were constricted by the original mudguards' shape. No such problems this time round, we used a single curved 1.6mm sheet for the wheel-arch so now we just have to fill in the gaps. We ended up inside the factory fuel filler door so that will now have to be welded up as well.

Settlement Creek Racing

Return to “Brumbyrunner”