The Brumbyrunner Project

Moderator: brumbyrunner

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:23 pm

There's plenty of roll cage pics back near the start of this thread.

Wheel travel is currently at 10" front & 12" rear but there's more to come.
Settlement Creek Racing

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:50 pm

ahh yeah im looking to build up a MY that i might be getting for offroad racing but yeah id need more travel than that.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:56 pm

You'll need to go wider to get more travel than that. Even if you double wishbone the front, it won't gain you any more travel.
Whose shocks are you using?
Settlement Creek Racing

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:22 pm

at the momenbt i havent even bought the car but am thinking double scissor wishbone on front to sttart with and quick disconect shocks as well as sliding axles gonna be an expensive build but i dont like to do things half a$$ed

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:52 pm

Finally found the time to spend nearly a full day on the ute. It's currently sitting in the very nice workshop of one of my sponsers, Arid Airconditing, waiting for a custom alloy dash to be fabricated. It sure is a pleasure to have a clean, airconditioned sheet metal shop to work in.
The owner and I got the frame finished using a curved 25x25 RHS between the A pillars and two support brackets that brace to the trans tunnel. Next step is to cut out the alloy sheet for the top and facia which'll be held in place with 6mm capscrews into nutserts. The design allows for the top of the dash to be removed while leaving the facia portion in place for maintenance.

Then all we need to do is......a complete rewire. You ready Dane? I drilled out the key barrel mounting rivets on the steering column today as well so we're all set for a starter button. Is it too late to change to a flush mount speedo display?
Settlement Creek Racing

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:25 am

Are you doing ECU at the same time as the rewire? Or are you just wanting the ancillaries rewired just now? Did you end up getting the fuel pick ups changed on the tank? Are we going to run the time fuel pumps and get rid of the surge tank now too? Better/bigger intercooler and ducting?

I got the pics on the phone and from what I can see it looks great.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:49 am

the speedo you have can be panel mounted. It wont be flush but I think its the way to go. It will only stick out 20mm or so. I you want to do this then let me know and I will send you a drill template.

Rewire: not sure what you have in mind but between Brett and I it won't be a problem. Its just a matter of finding time to do it.

I think the removeable top panel is a great idea. Should make life much easier.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:35 am

Sorry that should have said twin pumps.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:23 am

Outback bloke wrote:Are you doing ECU at the same time as the rewire? Or are you just wanting the ancillaries rewired just now? Did you end up getting the fuel pick ups changed on the tank? Are we going to run the twin fuel pumps and get rid of the surge tank now too? Better/bigger intercooler and ducting?
I got the pics on the phone and from what I can see it looks great.
No plans to do ECU yet, I really just want to clean up the unnecessary wiring behind the dash and then wire up the new gauges and switches. It's going to be a battle getting the car back here before the wet so I can build the new front control arms before Hyden. Fuel tank and intercooler will have to wait until the front suspension and dry sump/exhaust header re-work is done.
Can you post up the pics from your phone?
vincentvega wrote:the speedo you have can be panel mounted. It wont be flush but I think its the way to go. It will only stick out 20mm or so. If you want to do this then let me know and I will send you a drill template.
Rewire: not sure what you have in mind but between Brett and I it won't be a problem. Its just a matter of finding time to do it.
I think the removeable top panel is a great idea. Should make life much easier.
Sounds good, better send up that template.
Re the rewire: Can't you just pop round one weekend when you're not painting the bedroom?
And what's the deal with corner weighting?
Settlement Creek Racing

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:34 am

Can you build the control arms in the template brumby and then fit them later? Have you got all the new gauges yet? Ive got the time right now to rewire it. If it is January then I would make the time.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:20 am

brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:24 pm

Thanks Dane, that phone takes better pics than the last one I had.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:43 pm

The dash is nearly finished, the alloy sheet needs to be bolted down and holes cut for gauges and switches.

The car is back home again now after a quick run to town to pick it up before the wet sets in.
Settlement Creek Racing

riksta

Post by riksta » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:37 pm

looking real good, I think by the time you get some gauges in there it will look real cool, nice job man, whats next on the to do list?

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:28 am

paint the nursery, build a stockcrate on the 6X6, build the armour and bionic arm on a new bullcatcher, clear some fencelines with the dozer............ah you mean on the racecar? :lol:

After the dash is complete I'll have a play with the front end again. I want to build proper hinged type lower control arms to stop the binding & bending. I also want to increase track width but then I'll have to get custom driveshafts made to suit. I'd like to try and do something with the sump/exhaust crossover/engine crossmember setup to improve the approach angle before I accept that I'll have to run a dry sump.
Probably lift the front of the car another inch or two so I can dial up the rideheight on the rear coilovers and run more bump travel.
And then there's the gearbox problem.......
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:52 am

Progressive shift light.

Settlement Creek Racing

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:41 pm

is that shift light an off the shelf unit and control??

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:46 pm

kick ass.

tip for the dash. cut out pieces of paper the size of everything you want to mount on the dash and play around with positioning. you only get one chance to get the holes in the right spot! looks excellent mate.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:10 pm

vincentvega wrote:kick ass.

tip for the dash. cut out pieces of paper the size of everything you want to mount on the dash and play around with positioning. you only get one chance to get the holes in the right spot! looks excellent mate.
That's not a bad idea! I was just going to use a white board marker and a rag.
Circles of paper held on with blue tack will be just the ticket.
At this stage I have 7 or 8 gauges I want to fit plus your speedo display, master switch, starter button, horn, camera switch and shift light. I'm sure there'll be more.

Spike: shift light is off the shelf.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:40 am

playing around with gauges...
Settlement Creek Racing

Return to “Brumbyrunner”