The Brumbyrunner Project

Moderator: brumbyrunner

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:26 pm

Outback bloke wrote:Did you sort out the starting issue after the dash was built?
I'd been putting off doing anything with the dash until that matter had been resolved but had another look at it this afternoon because we need to get the wiring tidied up and all the gear mounted in the dash.
Jim actually found the problem, two blown fusible links in the engine bay fuse box and it fired straight up. I suspect that it was caused when working on the dash in town. It's a relief to have it running again. Only had about 10 minutes to spare before Topgear started!

The water lines cut and re-welded to suit the new radiator and water pump locations. Image

Water pump now sits directly in front of the water outlet so should prime up well. Image

Battery box now fits snugly beside the narrowed tyre rack. Getting the battery in and out now is much easier.:)
Settlement Creek Racing

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:45 am

looking good! the plating job you did on those guards is seriously impressive. Wish i could weld half as good as that. I am the master of pigeon shit welding ;)

When are you going to fly down to Brisbane and pick brett and I up so we can rewire the thing? ;)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks bloke.

It's cheaper to fly commercially than in your own plane. Plus they have a dunny, a full bar and some other poor bugger drives it for you.

If you do want to fly up here for a few days, it would be better to wait until the gearboxes and shocks are rebuilt and back here first (or bring them with you) so we can do some testing.

I discovered this morning that the spare gearbox is not cracked! There appears to be nothing wrong with the case at all. After oil poured out from the bash-guard and the gearbox was covered in it, I thought I could see cracks around the crown wheel nearly as bad as the main 'box. Now that it's all cleaned up, the 'box looks fine. I'll have it out by this arvo so know for sure then.
Settlement Creek Racing

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:34 am

I thought we found a small hole on the passengers side around about where 2nd gear is, I mean was.

Let me know when you get all the bits back and depending on how much work I have on at the time and Dane, we may be able to shoot up there. Just need some notice.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:11 pm

Change of plans on pulling the gearbox. Decided instead to make the most of Jim and start tidying up the wiring and finishing the dash. Put our old, existing gauges in for the time being. Speedo and UHF took a bit of mucking around but worth the effort.

This beats standing on your head!
Settlement Creek Racing

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:45 pm

no update today? bummer. was looking forward to it. my favourite way to procrastinate at work ;)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:22 pm

by the way when you flush mount our indicators you normally take the rear boot off:

might be a good idea to leave it how you did though because the rear boot will keep the dust out. If you take the boot off though the speedo will mount probably 10mm closer to the dash.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:37 pm

I love the proper crook short cut for plumbing in the boost gauge too. Saves having to go through the firewall hey? :D

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Vincentvega,... what is that?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:37 pm

vincentvega wrote:by the way when you flush mount out indicators you normally take the rear boot off
Now you tell me! We couldn't work out why your template was so wrong but we ended up making our own. It does stick out a fair bit but no more than the UHF and it makes it easier to reach the buttons :) Looking at your pic, I think we are better off with it sealed.
Outback bloke wrote:I love the proper crook short cut for plumbing in the boost gauge too. Saves having to go through the firewall hey? :D
That's actually the water temp capillary :) but you should see it now! The entire dash wiring is spread through the top of the dash and onto the motor. I was dreading this job and there's no turning back now. I just hope it still runs when we're finished otherwise we'll be in a real pickle.
We started on the rear loom and cleaned that up, removing about 2/3 of it. The tail-lights, roof lights and rear relay block are all on separate looms for ease of repair. The rear relay block consists of a relay each for the water pump and low pressure fuel pump so they can be switched independently for priming and also for the fans and EFI pump.
Today we tackled the headlight wiring and built a stand-alone loom to feed the headlights, parkers and indicators. Didn't get it finished but we're on the home stretch. The Impreza power distribution box on the front guard that houses the high beam relays and fuses is no longer used for this. We have a new relay block on the firewall and everything is now positive switched. Also have low beam on all four headlights and a high beam flash button on the passenger side dash.
Suparoo wrote:Vincentvega,... what is that?
It's the back of the speedo.
Settlement Creek Racing

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:53 pm

brumbyrunner wrote:I just hope it still runs when we're finished otherwise I'll have to fly Brett and Dane up here to clean up our mess then go fishing*
now thats a bloody good idea.

Suparoo: thats what the back of stuart's speedo looks like, but in the real world its a weight indicator.

*this quote may be slightly modified

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:21 pm

vincentvega wrote:now thats a bloody good idea.
Yeah, yeah.... if you were really coming we'd be drinking Bourbon by now.
Settlement Creek Racing

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:28 pm

been doing a 'little' bit of wiring i see. fun job that, but necessary for reliability. dont want a blackout at 150+kph. just wish to pass on my sympathys to you. i know your pain.

lol.
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:27 am

Battery box has been relocated to the rear and a toolbox as well.
New home for the ECU.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:30 pm

The wiring is all but finished now. The dash is almost kitted out too, just waiting on some more bits like the tacho, oil pressure and oil temp gauges. We've had some delays with our mail due to all the rain but should be able to get back on track now it's moved down into Qld.
Here's what it looks like so far.

With that under control, work started on the body.
We'd damaged the right front mudguard on day 1 at Finke when the radius arm bent and the tyre moved back 6" so that was hammered straight.

On day 2 a buggy scrapped the left door while passing us in the dust after we broke a front driveshaft so that was knocked out and filled.

And the rear guards needed attention after all the cutting and welding.
Settlement Creek Racing

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:31 pm

looking sharp, im liking the big red light in the center, whats it for??

btw, how'd u get the bitchumen from the floors???

cheers, rohan.
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:45 pm

brumbyrunner wrote: Here's what it looks like so far.
It looks like the cockpit of a Cessna.

Very well done!

What does it weigh now? More or less than in factory trim?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:12 pm

maxxair wrote:looking sharp, im liking the big red light in the center, whats it for??
btw, how'd u get the bitchumen from the floors???
cheers, rohan.
It's the alternator warning light. All the smart minds (including subarooster in a previous post) advised that a bulb type light would work better than an LED which is what I'm using for everything else.
The bitumen came off very easily but I've heard it can be a real drama. I read an article recently in Peterson's 4WOR (I think) about using dry ice to loosen it up. I've used a blowtorch before with good results too.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Suparoo wrote:It looks like the cockpit of a Cessna.
Very well done!
What does it weigh now? More or less than in factory trim?
Yeah, there's a real risk of going overboard with the whole monitoring thing. I've had old rally guys tell me all you need is a water temp gauge and an oil pressure light, anything else will only distract you and you should keep going until it stops.
But I'm a bit of a control freak. It comes from running your own business and having to keep tabs on everything and everyone.

Regarding tare, I haven't weighed the car since June 2008 and despite my best attempts to encourage one of my sponsors to set me up with corner weights, I still have no way to weigh the car at home. But back then it was about the same as a stock Brumby, give or take a few kgs. There's a free public weighbridge in Alice Springs so I try to do it whenever I go to the Finke race.
Settlement Creek Racing

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:49 pm

Cool, yeah u need a bulb for the power consumption to make the alt kick in. led wont draw enough. sounded strange to me at first, since i figured, its spinning so its charging. not the case.lol.

DRY ICE!! yeah, thats the smartest thing ive ever heard, bake it real brittle then chisel it in big peices. 'sounds' easy at least.
blowtorch hey, howd that go for ya?? nice and stinky??
not knowing better, i used a wire cupbrush on a grinder, and not knowing better used 'straight', not twisted, cup brushes. this is a truly horrible way of doing it. takes ages, flicks melted black shyte everywhere and the wires flick out, into your face and clothes occasionally, but mostly into you ballsack. took 2 cupbrushes, and 2 grinders, 3weeks and HEAPS of beers. truly horrible, avoid at all costs.

whens fink on next? im going to try come for alook, as offroad seems way more fun than rally.
Cheers, Rohan M.

Return to “Brumbyrunner”