The Brumbyrunner Project

Moderator: brumbyrunner

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:00 am

nice work Bur! That was put together really well.

the chase cam footage from Brett's car and the drift at the end are the best bits! The melon holes look bloody intimidating form inside the car though.

I reckon we are going to get some very good footage this year at Finke.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

dibs

Post by dibs » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:03 pm

bloody riper

looks like a fairly smooth ride from the incar pic. needs exhaust noise but lol

well done all those concerned

dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:51 am

its the quietest car in the competition... definately needs more bark!
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

subiwidow

Post by subiwidow » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:58 pm

The choice of song was fantastic. About 2 brothers racing. Don't know if it was fluke or professional, but in the song it is taking about a having a car chase, and Stuart is driving in all this dust. Absolute perfect timing, must have been a fluke. Well down, I loved it. :-D

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:32 pm

I don't know about it being a fluke. Full credit must go to Wilbur, I showed him the files on the SD card and he worked out how to change them to avi. and then save them to my desktop.
He told me about the trip movies he'd made so I showed him the free editing software MA uses for our school stuff and he did the rest. I didn't see him again until it was finished and then I popped it onto youtube.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:56 pm

I talked to Albins and they are going to make the rear shafts for me no problem.

The problem seems to be the availabilty of Turbo Leonie auto front inners. All the shops I've tried come back with the same negative response.
I would be happy to run 30 internal spline but these were never made for the 23 spline gearbox so it's starting to look like I'm stuck with the much smaller 23 internal spline.

On a more positive note, the rear shocks have been made and shipped so should be here by the weekend.
Settlement Creek Racing

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:05 pm

Have you tried townsville cv's as i was in there on thursday and we were talking about those exact CV's, i am pretty sure he has some, but i could be wrong.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:16 pm

I've been talking to George a fair bit, even told him who recommended him. You must be in the RAAF?

He is trying to find some NTN joints through a source but it seems everyone hates dealing with that company because they can never find there own products and their part numbers don't even match. No wonder the OEM went away from them.

George is my last hope. Every other lead I had has been exhausted. If I knew these joints were so rare I would have gone with something more readily available.

I'm not fussy on brand anymore either so if anyone has advice on where I can buy 4WD Turbo Leonie auto or 4WD Vortex auto, front inner DOJs then lets hear it. They are a 95AC joint with a 23 external spline and a 25 internal spline. Every shop I've talked to substitutes the front drive shaft for these cars with a 23/23 spline unit from a non turbo L series. Driveline Services, Repco, Universal Driveshaft & Hardi-Spicer.
Settlement Creek Racing

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:53 pm

brumbyrunner wrote:I talked to Albins and they are going to make the rear shafts for me no problem.

The problem seems to be the availabilty of Turbo Leonie auto front inners. All the shops I've tried come back with the same negative response.
Stuart are you after new ones or good second hand ones?I've got a few floating around from the few i've pulled apart.At least 4 i think.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:15 pm

Thanks mate, hold that thought, I might need them yet.
Are they any good?
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:55 pm

Well so much for the 25 spline rear axle plan. For whatever reason these joints are long out of production. I could rustle up enough good used ones to keep me going but spending good money on custom axles to suit joints you can't buy off the shelf is not much of an option.
I now have to decide between 30 spline joints as found on the 2WD 1800 Impreza or 23 spline as found on all MY and non-turbo 4WD Ls. The shafts and cups are about the same size, midway between the 25 and 22 spline stuff. I think they're both 87AC joints as well so the only difference might be the pluge depth. I'll check tomorrow and decide from there. Either way they're both stronger than the 22 spline joints I've been running with no problems.
Settlement Creek Racing

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:58 am

Yes i am. George is a really helpful bloke and will bend over backwards to get anyone out of strife.... Good luck with it, if you need any photos, etc sent to you let me know and i will call in and see him.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:29 pm

The new shocks arrived here on Good Friday after a long and arduous journey half-way around the country. Would you believe that the mail contracter is not allowed to bring me a box weighing 34kgs?. Amazing.

They are enormous in the flesh. 35" from eye to eye and 24" of springs.

The lower mounts are made up with 5 positons from 0.7 to 0.9 motion ratio but the top mounts will take some working out.

Everything is lining up so far with just enough room between the subframe and the tyre for a 105mm OD coil spring.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:19 pm

Bit more progress.
The shock length is perfect. This is full bump.

The shock tower is coming along. We had to make a few compromises with the position of the top mount and where we were bracing it to. If I could have built the trailing arms when the cage and body were done it would be very different.

Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:50 am

Finished the top and bottom shock mounts and braced the top mounts together. When we built the new inner guards a few years ago there was about 40mm of outer guard left at the top of the wheelarch. With our new found bump travel, this had to go. Cutting, welding and sanding made a bit of a mess of the paintjob and the wheelarch isn't as pretty as it used to be but Wilbur reckons flares will fix it :)
Settlement Creek Racing

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:37 pm

Go the bushwackers. :D It'll look proper crook.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:46 pm

It sucks that Bur is the only one who gets to play racecars!

you didn't let him near the thing with a grinder did you?

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:52 pm

vincentvega wrote:It sucks that Bur is the only one who gets to play racecars!

you didn't let him near the thing with a grinder did you?
What, you mean like this? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:56 pm

Upper shock mounts

Lower shock mounts
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:03 pm

Drivers side wheel arch after we'd finished.

Tyre has about 15mm of clearence at full bump. If it does hit the inner guard, at least it will be rubbing on a flat surface.
Settlement Creek Racing

Return to “Brumbyrunner”