Subie Boys Next Wagon Resto

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:24 pm

Question, which was asked before, but not answered.

What rust inhibitor are you using in the chassis rails, and underbody?

What sort of welder are you using to do the panel repairs (rust replacement)?

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:19 pm

The inhibitor we use is called PENETROL ( How ever it is spelt ) . It is mainly used as a paint additive to help paint stick better to what ever surface it is applied to and spread evenly . We have found it to also slow down and in some cases stop rust and stop it from forming.

We mix it with body deadener and spray it on and then give a couple of days to set and then spray chassis black mixed over the top of the deadener.

The welder that is used is a mig. Nothing special , just need some one to drive it well. Which is not me. lol.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:30 pm

A bit of an update on the car, Cleaned up the master cylinder and put a kit through it . Cleaned the engine bay up and gave it a coat of paint.

Also cleaned up the calipers and gave then a bit of color to match the rear drums. Also the caliper retainers. gearbox cross member and the sway bar.

Even the tail shaft has been given a cleanup and a very fine coat of paint as to not out balance it.And the etched coated item hanging in the front is one of the four window rubber channels which has been remover , cleaned and ready to be undercoated.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:32 pm

Here's a bit more rust, from around the window in the tailgate, which only looks like a few bubbles before you take the window and rubber out. No surprises for us, but most people have no idea at all.

Then I get stuck in and hammer out yet another little panel to bring it back to how it should be... Not many people realise just how important these areas are if (or when) you have an accident. Bog = injuries/death, steel = "a fighting chance".

Inside of the same piece of steel (blotches are the zinc coating, not hammer marks).

Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:29 am

mate you have some insane sheet metal skills. I dont know how you knock up those replacement panels but they are mint!
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:45 am

vincentvega wrote:mate you have some insane sheet metal skills. I dont know how you knock up those replacement panels but they are mint!
+1 im shocked mate! how long have you been in the industry?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:28 am

ACtually, lets take that incredulation to the next level and make it a question...how DO you do that, make up those panels. Im looking at the front of the tray i my brumby and thinking I need to do this, but have stalled due to not knowing how to get/make a patch panel.

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:29 am

lol...and just looking at your signature....Im keen to talk ea81T rebuilds when you have a spare moment!

riksta

Post by riksta » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:19 pm

You shore have some skills when you have a hammer in your hands, and I to am wondering too how you can do that from a flat sheet of steel and not have it starch and twist out of shape.
When I have made a rust repair replacement panel in the past that peace you have just done would be made up of 3 peaces of steel, all I can say well done and you have one hell of a skill.

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:37 pm

That is what i keep telling Steve . His talents are second to no one. He manipulates metal like you wont believe. What you see is minor to what he can do. And that is only one thing out of many. Electronics, painting/ mural , designing and more.

But trying to get him motivated to do things is a different story,, hay Steve. lol
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:47 pm

On to the panel work now. Ross and myself Got into more rust today. Ross did some plating while i stripped the paint off the doors.

We line up the doors and make a production line out of them, One has the paint coming off , as the next is getting any dents taken out . And the next is getting the smallest amount of filler on it ,

And last but not least , the doors have etch primer put on them.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:31 pm

Very impressive operation....good work guys..

dibs

brumby

Post by dibs » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:14 pm

gday steve you got room for the brumby .got a vortex and della said i gota get the brumby out so im hoping to bring it up this week or on sat
dibs
will ring through the week workin night work in brisbane

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:26 pm

Not much to Say at the moment , still working on the panels. Cleaning them down , straighten them , little bit of filler, feather it all out ready to be etched. Little bit of welding to go on the body and a little bit of welding to go on the doors. Not much point putting up pics as they would all look the same .
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hamish71

More Questions...

Post by Hamish71 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:54 am

More questions:

1. ratio of penetrol to body deadener mix?

2. Stripping paint off exterior panels by? (looks like wire wheel on grinder, then fill after?) Does this do much damage to panel surface?

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:18 pm

Hamish71 wrote:More questions:

1. ratio of penetrol to body deadener mix?

2. Stripping paint off exterior panels by? (looks like wire wheel on grinder, then fill after?) Does this do much damage to panel surface?

Ratio is a personal choice, Up to 25% , but gets expensive using 25%.

We use a wire wheel yes. Now with saying that, the wheel is only medium duty. We only go to the depth of the original etch primer. Dont forget by using a wire wheel, it will polish the metal , that is why we only try to go as deep as the original etch. From there we sand , as to have a non polished surface to apply the new etch to. As i have posted before , this is only my personal way of doing it . Some may agree and some may not agree. Some may have an easier way , This is just what works for me .
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:14 pm

Thanks...I need to do the tray of my ute...im scared at what I am going to find under the ute liner paint it has on it now.....its not going to be pretty.

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:38 pm

Those replacement panels look fit enough to walk a catwalk! Great work fellas.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:08 pm

A few more items a bit further along. Even cleaned the inside of the doors and gave it a coat of paint . As much as we could get to . Not perfect, but the best we can do.

The tow bar got the treatment as well.

Even stripped back the hand break and gave it a new coat of paint.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu May 01, 2008 2:48 pm

Put a coat of paint on the inside of the back doors.

Pick up the rear shocks and fitted them. Not the ones i wonted , but there are none of the type i wonted in Australia at the moment.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subie Boys”