Subie Boys Next Wagon Resto

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:20 pm

My appologies to all that didn't get a mention in my last post. Anyone involved in these projects needs a pat on the back!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers Chris

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:07 pm

Still raining here so still no paint going on . To keep us from going nuts we have done some work on ross's car as Lea posted earlier. Pulled the engine and replaced the clutch and pulled the front drive shafts and re packed the both ends with fresh grease and replaced the boots.

Still looks like rain tomorrow so the rear shafts will be done and if time allows , the front drive shafts in mine will be replaced with new ones.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:57 pm

As most people would know , if they know anything about Gympie or watch the local news for the area . Gympie has a bit of water in it. The weather as put a spanner in the works when it comes to putting the paint on the car . We don't have a heated spray booth. So we have had to find other things to do .

As posted a couple of days ago , we did some maintenance on our own Subaru's.
Now that is finished we started back on the project car ,

Put new bearings in the fan pulley .

Also the engine is coming together nicely. New plugs, Points, Cap Rotor button, Plug leads, Etc

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:41 pm

Rubbed the car back so if the weather is fine enough tomorrow , we hope to lay the other coats on the car.

Also most of the fittings are now on the engine and it has been sat in it's seat.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

stinky

Post by stinky » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:36 pm

Is there a reason you're keeping the fan? I've always gone with dual thermo-fans instead. I think you probably gain half a HP or so by removing the fan :D
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:12 pm

stinky wrote:Is there a reason you're keeping the fan? I've always gone with dual thermo-fans instead. I think you probably gain half a HP or so by removing the fan :D
Yes there is , I was only talking about it 2 days ago with the owner and ross.
When in the scrub or city traffic ya have a tendency to move slower, which means less air flow through radiator. Now if ya had 2 electric fans and the thermo switch decided not to turn them on. Bingo , no cooling. Or even if ya had a over ride switch in the cab, ya still have to remember to turn it on.
This way by having the mechanical fan, while the engine is running, there is cooling.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:52 pm

^Now, I can tell people that, who ask about my standard lib's ej22!

stinky

Post by stinky » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:44 pm

rtcb65 wrote:Yes there is , I was only talking about it 2 days ago with the owner and ross.
When in the scrub or city traffic ya have a tendency to move slower, which means less air flow through radiator. Now if ya had 2 electric fans and the thermo switch decided not to turn them on. Bingo , no cooling. Or even if ya had a over ride switch in the cab, ya still have to remember to turn it on.
This way by having the mechanical fan, while the engine is running, there is cooling.
Right, that makes sense. I have mine twin thermos switched via relay off the ignition circuit. I leave the relay on all the time unless I'm water crossing. A mate of mine has a temp. alarm on his so if he accidently leaves it off it starts beeping like crazy at him before it gets anywhere near doing any damage.

If you're not doing much deep water crossings then it's probably not an issue anyway.
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:09 pm

Wow certainly coming together nicely! progress is amazingly fast.
How come the engine bay is in black and not matched to the rest of the car?

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:47 am

AndrewT wrote:Wow certainly coming together nicely! progress is amazingly fast.
How come the engine bay is in black and not matched to the rest of the car?
2 thoughts for this one. The floor pan comes right through into the engine bay , so we followed it . And the other reason , the age i am , a 70's , early 80's left over , it was the thing back then that everything that wasn't the outside of the car , had to go black. Eg: Engine bay, interior .
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:26 am

ah yeah cool. One of my old 70s RX-7s had a black engine bay and I never understood why :P

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:33 pm

Ok. Next step, Top coat is now on . A couple of bits to re do but nothing major. With the color being so dark and spraying in a shed and not wishing to own our own power station , it is hard to see to lay the paint . Also don't wont to paint out side , Last thing we need is , once a panel is sprayed, is a leaf or a branch land on it .
It has been about 36 hours since the paint went on, so started to put things back on. Head lights and some stripping.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tex

Post by tex » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:43 am

Damn you guys do such a great job and so quickly too I hope the weather is treating you a little better now! Congrats on the great work again and I think beers should be added to the receipts pile!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:20 pm

Slowly getting there. From here on there is alot of cleaning to do . All bolts and nuts get cleaned before they go back in. Run them over the wire brush. Toay a few things were cleaned and painted and some added to the car.

The Guard holders. wiper arms .

Center caps cleaned and polished.

And the grill and front bumper.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:10 pm

Clean polish and fit out Door handles , inside and out, locks , latches all 5 , wagon windows, fuel cap, tail lights and a badge.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

riksta

Post by riksta » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:34 pm

I love that colour blue on the MY shape, looking hot guys.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Small update , Two days worth of update as i forgot the camera yesterday.
The electric windows are in and central locking in windows are in.

Also the wheels and tires are on.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dodzy

Post by dodzy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:15 pm

:D

im very envious guys!!

very interested in how much $ it all comes to in the end.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:13 pm

No pics today. Put the wiper motor and drive arms in after cleaning and greasing them.
Gave the radiator a clean up and a coat of paint and the fan cover ( electric one).
Also got all the wiring layed out and together for the electric windows, central locking , power mirrors ,electric tailgate release and the alarm. Put in slave fuse box to run all the extras to run off.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:24 pm

What we were up to today. Doors are now wired up with electric window wiring and central locking and power mirror wiring. . Last bit of stripping is now on , a couple of more badges are on and solenoid is mounted in tailgate.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subie Boys”