Fat '84 Touring Wagon

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:05 pm

I do want to give credit to Ross and Lea, even though I was being cheeky in my post above. Without their patience and help the car would not have even happened in the first place. And yes, Ross was the one that suggested the filter would be blocked too.
Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:01 pm

OK, news just in... Completely killed the motor this morning, very suddenly. Then proceeded to kill the auto towing the car 100km to home. Not a worry though...

It was very sudden. Car was running perfectly up until this morning, when no sooner had the oil light come on, one of the big end bearings spun and caused the whole motor to collapse in on itself shortly afterwards. Oil level was fine up until this morning's episode, but was suddenly empty. When we put more oil in, it maintained the level perfectly, so I haven't a clue where the other oil went.

Hopefully picking up rebuilt replacement motor tomorrow (still bolted in a car) and connecting that to the spare auto I have already. So not half the drama it could have been. It's entirely possible everything will be fixed/replaced on the very next day after this catastrophic event. Will keep you posted...
Steve.

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Who was broken down near Gympie late this afternoon?
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

rtcb65
General Member

Break down

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:07 pm

INEEDABEER wrote:Who was broken down near Gympie late this afternoon?
I can only tell what i have heard , so dont quote me on it. She broke down in Maryborough. Roscoruby drove up and towed it back. I believe they made into gympie around 5.30 to 6.00 pm . Like i said , that is what i have been told . I have not talked to steve as yet . so i dont know the whole story.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:07 pm

thats annoying...good luck with the replacements.

was it jsut the original motor or had u guys replaced seals and the likes. (guessing it wasnt a rebuilt motor)

was it oil pump failure?
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

rtcb65
General Member

motor

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:11 pm

Matatak wrote:thats annoying...good luck with the replacements.

was it jsut the original motor or had u guys replaced seals and the likes. (guessing it wasnt a rebuilt motor)

was it oil pump failure?
Not a rebuild . It came out of a car and was put under the house . I could say i told him so , but i wont. He got it out and test fired it and put it straight in against our better judgement.

Well we learn as we learn.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:59 am

Bugger about the engine i hope the next engine to go in has a better run
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:07 am

sorry to hear mate. hopefully ur back in action in no time
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

riksta

Post by riksta » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Thats not good to hear.
Hope all is back to being well soon, good luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks for all the support guys, it's very much appreciated.

I bought another car today with the motor I needed and already have it sitting on the bench with bits swapped over to set it up for my car (and changeover from manual to auto). The guys helped pull that one out and they then pulled my other motor and transaxle out. I knew this car was there for a few weeks now, as that's where my exhaust came from, and at the time I noted that it had fresh heads and the block looked like it had been done too.

Well, after ripping the back housing off the motor I discovered it has new pistons, rings and bottom end appears to be renewed as well. The heads appear to have been new ones, not rebuilt after all. On top of all that, it hadn't even been started up after complete reconditioning. Not bad for the $200 I forked out for the whole car, which I'm handing over to Rick to restore for his other half (the sedan is in surprisingly good condition too). I only bought it for the motor, to drop into mine to get it going after blowing the motor yesterday (big ends spun and tore apart), and have ended up with a brand new motor much sooner than expected, for a pittance.

Anyway, I'm picking up my other auto box from storage tomorrow morning and hopefully will have everything screwed back together ready to drive it home in the arvo. I'm actually really glad the motor spontaneously imploded right now, as it's allowed fantastic things to happen, including scoring a $188 R/C Hummer for $48 at Big W, because it didn't work properly (which turned out to be that the rechargeable battery needed charging up), simply because I had to keep myself occupied while waiting for Ross to drive up from Gympie to where I was stuck in Maryborough.

As for stuffing the auto by towing it 112km at up to 90kph to avoid being wiped out by trucks and cars that couldn't comprehend that we were doing less than the limit, my point of view is that it was an acceptable sacrifice and we'd made that decision before we went and did anything to harm it.
Steve.

roscoruby

Post by roscoruby » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Hopefully Steve's car will be going tomorrow. Engine runs fine, just need a bit more fluid for the auto & she should be a goa.
Ross
1996 Gen 2 liberty Wagon, manual with L series low range Awd and vlsd .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

She's back

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:40 pm

It has been around the 36 hrs now. All seems to be going well. It looks like steve had the luck of the draw. When he brought the leone from the wreckers for a double tun ( $200 ) it looks like it was a total rebuild. Never been fired up since it was rebuilt. Even new pistons so steve reckons . I know the exhaust ports were clean , had the shot peened look. Also looks like the second auto box we had is the better of the two according to steve.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Number 2

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:35 pm

And number 2 engine is dead. So back in the shed , well in the yard anyway. This one through a leg out of bed as the saying goes. Rod through the top of the block. We only have one EA81 left so i hope it stays together. This time steve is going to pull it down to make sure it is ok inside . Something he failed to do with the others.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LEALAROO

Post by LEALAROO » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:44 pm

As Someone said awhile ago that the Subie's are bullet proof. Well they may well be but they aren't Steve proof. Ha, ha. He is certainly making a job of this one, but hopefully he will get it right this time. I'm sort of getting sick of seeing it come back all the time not under it's own power. lol:
Lea

Subie Boys's
Roscoruby's

Better Half

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:50 am

rtcb65 wrote:And number 2 engine is dead. So back in the shed , well in the yard anyway. This one through a leg out of bed as the saying goes. Rod through the top of the block. We only have one EA81 left so i hope it stays together. This time steve is going to pull it down to make sure it is ok inside . Something he failed to do with the others.
Bugger eh?

Well, third time lucky. I guess you've got some good spare heads now...

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

rtcb65
General Member

new engine

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:25 am

This time it is all out on this engine. Out comes the engineering for this engine. Steve is looking at decompressing the chamber by taking some of the alloy out of the head so he can fit a turbo . A basic system. Just the turbo and the ducting for it and the waste gate into the exhaust. That is the plan so far that i know of. Still running a carby , Pre turbo. I myself will be watching this set up closely , more knowledge for me to learn. As the saying goes : The more you learn, the more you should realize that you didnt know .

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:11 pm

Rick's right, I am going all out to make sure this motor is the final one for this car. I was going to build one up over time with a turbo and bigger carby, but that's been brought forward to now, since it appears it the only way I'm going to get a decent motor for my car.

The block I'm using has been sitting around for a while but appears to have less than 5000km on new pistons, cam, bearings, lifters, pushrods etc... I'm putting more fresh bearings in the bottom end and using the brand new heads off my second buggered motor, after increasing the combusion chambers from 45cc to around 52cc. Then mating up an RHB5 turbo with custom manifolds and remote mounted Varijet carby.

The other things I'm doing is cleaning up the motor inside and out, removing mould flashing and blemishes. All the moving internals and their bearing surface edges will be chamfered and linished by hand, making certain every part runs smoothly with all other parts around it.

Here's a couple of pics I took this afternoon. The head is an odd one that is the same casting design as the new heads I have, which I cut into in order to work out material thickness for when I enlarge the chambers.

Steve.

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:29 pm

Minor progress, she's starting to come together now that the engineering of the whole thing is done and I'm now left with just painting, assembly and fitting/finishing. The blown motor (the one that has a hole in the top from where the conrod left home) is serving as a buck for measuring and fabricating the plumbing and mountings for everything. Blew the first motor, blew the second one too, so now deliberately blowing the third one before it gets bolted in...

Steve.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:42 pm

HOLY CRAP mate.

that looks awesome.

nice job on the custom intake.

i feel it wuld be more at home on a Dual port tho.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

riksta

Post by riksta » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:42 pm

WOW!!! thats some pipes you got there, I say pipes, blue pipes, love pipes, give me pipes.

Looking good, hope it go's as good as it looks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

Return to “Subie Boys”