Rick's Outback

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:19 pm

riksta wrote:Nice one Rick.

I know you wont know yourself, You have just done what I did allmost six years ago, I went from my old Green MY83 wagon to a gen3 RX Liberty wagon, Its a big change and a hole lot more room and a whole lot nicer to drive.

I allways liked the gen 2 outbacks in blue, and I would think twice about swapping the auto, I did not like mine at first but have changed my mind now, after seeing how far offroad it will go.

Rik.
Thanks Rik, The drive home Showed the the big change as you spoke about. They are nothing alike. The main reason for swapping out the auto to manual is the auto has no 3rd gear and i still have the gearbox that A.P. put together for me , that i was going to put in the M.Y. I dont wish to waste all the good work he put in to it . LOL.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:29 pm

As i said in the first post , the clear coat is peeling . So i have the bonnet back ready to re coat, now just the rest of the peeled panels to rub back it . Also took the auto out ready to put the manual in.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:02 pm

gee you guys are fast workers!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:40 am

I think it would look good in blue with a dark silver/gunmetal grey lower half and garnishes ! PAINT IT BLUE :-)
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:36 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Sweet! Sounds like you boys are onto something good up there! What an upgrade.

Will there be a change of wardrobe to go with the upgrade in vehicles? Sounds like you won't know yourselves!

Cheers

Bennie
Hey Bennie,

No change of wardrobe , we are still Rednecks. Just in new model cars. LOL.

FROG wrote:I think it would look good in blue with a dark silver/gunmetal grey lower half and garnishes ! PAINT IT BLUE :-)
Hey Andy,

I like the idea of the blue and gunmetal . Once i get it on the road and drive it around for a while , to get the budget back in line to where i like it. I think i will do the colour change.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:56 pm

rtcb65 wrote:What is your reason for not painting it blue or is blue just not one of the colours you don't like ? The reasons why i was thinking of paint it blue is , 1: blue seems to be our trade mark colour, 2: the colour that is on it is the rusty brown red. I am not that fussed on it.
blue might look good on the older subis and wrxs, but on an outback i reckon it would look very tacky.

but hey thats just my opinion :)
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:27 pm

98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:31 pm

Blue manual only for me :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Starting to prep things while waiting for the new rear main seal to turn up. Gear stick and range lever in , but may need little mod done ( make longer mount as stick set out of liberty/impreza ) . Clutch pedal box clean ready. Preping box , speedo sender and mounts. Looking into wiring on box and in car, different. Looks like may have to make up adapter to go between the two. That way box still has own wiring and car has it own wiring , just incase .

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:49 pm

once you got all these going you need to update your subie boys logo

looking good, cant wait to see it go extreme

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:50 pm

I am chasing a diagram of the auto wiring plug ( car side of auto gearbox plug ) so i can adapt it to the gen 1 gearbox wiring plug . Basically make a adapter to join between the to. If anyone can help , i would be great full.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Gearbox is in and brake pedal has been changed out.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:48 pm

A couple of steps forward. The clutch pedal box is in and all connected. Exhaust is back in. Now to see if the cruise button can stay where it was, with the range lever now there. I was lucky to find a manual gear boot in my home town. One other thing i found , if what i reading and noticing , the speed censor was in the auto box. The gen 1 box doesn't have one in it, so it looks like i have to fit another. The wiring to join the 2 systems up electrically is going to be a job and a half ,Eg : reversing lights, low range, neutral switch and the park and neutral lock out

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Point

Post by Point » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:29 pm

so you're using a G1 box in a G2 then? I was wondering about the cable clutch. you should be able to get a speed sensor to just plug into the G1 box. I did it the other way, and took the speed sensor off my 98 forrie box and put the G1 cable straight on. I will be watching what you do with the wiring as I have to convert my G1 Lib to manual soon.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:56 pm

you may want to take that foot rest out, it will be a auto one which are bigger the the manual ones and every time you put you foot on the clutch you will hit the rest!!! other than that top work!!!
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:18 pm

Point wrote:so you're using a G1 box in a G2 then? I was wondering about the cable clutch. you should be able to get a speed sensor to just plug into the G1 box. I did it the other way, and took the speed sensor off my 98 forrie box and put the G1 cable straight on. I will be watching what you do with the wiring as I have to convert my G1 Lib to manual soon.
yep Gen 1 Lib box behind Gen 2 EJ25 outback engine - no problems.
That box did have cable sensor, pulled it out and you can install electric one - no problems.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:52 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:yep Gen 1 Lib box behind Gen 2 EJ25 outback engine - no problems.
That box did have cable sensor, pulled it out and you can install electric one - no problems.
Cheers
AP
Hey AP ,

Got the box wiring sorted out today. What a nightmare. Steve , myself , Ross and pages upon pages of wiring diagrams. But it done. Now to make up a new plenum mount , exhaust bracket , change diff ratio and find a second/tail part of a tail shaft that is 900 mm long and it should be close to being ready for rego. Fingers crossed.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:27 pm

You can trim the footrest down easy enough, worked on mine.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:39 pm

Solved the foot rest prob. I remembered i had on out of a forester , So i put it in. Steve worked his magic and made up a set of plenum chamber mounts to replace the auto mount ones.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chridk

Post by chridk » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:02 pm

Hey Rick lookin good, did you sort the shifter linkage problem ?
Cheers Chridk

Return to “Subie Boys”