Rosco's liberty wagon

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:21 am

LEALAROO wrote:Well everyone we have had another mishap with Rosco's wagon. Unfortunately it was just us girls this time. On our way home from Nambour & Noosa the wagon decided to blow off some steam coming into Cooroy. Here we were just the Subie girls trying to cool her down but without any luck.
The whole point of this post is to say no one stopped to see if we were ok & it was broad daylight. Even though I know my share about cars this time I was out of my element. Luckily the Subie Boyz got a trailer from a mate & came & rescued us.
What is this world coming to.
Yeah Lea it's horrible the world has come to this but there is those weirdos out there that pretend their broken down then when you stop to help them, they bash you and steal your car. Even heard of them using a couple of girls to get people to stop then the guys jump out of the bushes :twisted:

I hope you got it sorted and are all ok? did you find out what cause the trouble with the overheating?

Cheers,
Paul
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:56 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Yeah Lea it's horrible the world has come to this but there is those weirdos out there that pretend their broken down then when you stop to help them, they bash you and steal your car. Even heard of them using a couple of girls to get people to stop then the guys jump out of the bushes :twisted:

I hope you got it sorted and are all ok? did you find out what cause the trouble with the overheating?

Cheers,
Paul
Hey Paul,

I second what you are saying. Yar not wrong about the weirdo's . It is bad the way the world is turning out. Not that long ago , people could go out and leave there front door open and there was never a problem when you come home. These days people don't wont to work for what they wont , they think it better to steal it , or are just jealous of what you have and destroy yours , because they don't have one. End of my rant.

Looks like the head gaskets have decided to take early retirement. So we have a couple of other ej22's to put in to get the car going again , until this one gets what it needs to get going again.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:40 am

Yeah Rick I remeber those days too.. so can't be that long ago cause my memory is only short term.. too much of the good life :p

What caused the car to overheat in the first place?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:47 am

RSR 555 wrote:Yeah Rick I remeber those days too.. so can't be that long ago cause my memory is only short term.. too much of the good life :p

What caused the car to overheat in the first place?
Looks like the head gaskets have decided to take early retirement, So we have a couple of other ej22's to put in to get the car going again , until this one gets what it needs to get going again.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 am

rtcb65 wrote:Looks like the head gaskets have decided to take early retirement, So we have a couple of other ej22's to put in to get the car going again , until this one gets what it needs to get going again.
Sorry Rick.. I did read that before but head gaskets will only go because something else has failed and unless that is fixed.. they will fail again. Not trying to be funny.. just making sure that you're not havng to do the job twice.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:31 am

RSR 555 wrote:Sorry Rick.. I did read that before but head gaskets will only go because something else has failed and unless that is fixed.. they will fail again. Not trying to be funny.. just making sure that you're not havng to do the job twice.
Not a problem. I understand what you mean totally. We are putting another engine in , in the mean time , so car still goes. We will be getting heads faced , new water pump, seals , timing belts etc. While front is off the motor , we will be replacing everything we can . Playing the catch up game with the car.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Got the other engine in and going. Cool. First ej refit. But. There is always a but, with the warming of the engine from the blown head gaskets, it likes it may have done something to the auto box. It not playing the game now. Ross is now thinking of looking for a manual set up to put in , unless some one can shine some light on the auto for us. We have jump in the deep end with the jump to the liberty's, and i am loving it, even with all that is going on. What a way to learn. Pulling them apart and putting them back together straight up. Learn Learn Learn. Love it.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:00 pm

can you be more descriptive than the auto is not playing the game?
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:55 pm

vincentvega wrote:can you be more descriptive than the auto is not playing the game?
Hey V.V.

IT is holding in first longer than it should. Basically if ya wont it to change to the next gear, ya have to take ya foot of the throttle some what and once ya can get it to top, once ya touch the throttle the slightest, it will drop back. Wont drive in top . That is at high way cruise speed. Hope that helps. If need more info , please let me know. Or ask some questions , that way i can give the answers you need. If that way will help better.

Thanks
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:57 pm

Hey Rick,

Make sure both large plugs are "clipped" in.. is the 'power' light flashing after start up?

Cheers,
Paul

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:10 am

RSR 555 wrote:Hey Rick,

Make sure both large plugs are "clipped" in.. is the 'power' light flashing after start up?

Cheers,
Paul
Hey Paul,

We have unplugged and re plugged the plugs to the auto. No power light flashing in the dash cluster. Even tried a different auto computer just to make sure it wasn't that.The only thing out of the ordinary , that was done, during the lifting of the engine , the chain pressed on the throttle positioning switch and broke the casing ( wouldn't lock on ). To fix that , we cut the plug off and soldered another plug with wires on. Then tested the joins to make sure there was a good connection ( multimeter )
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:38 am

rtcb65 wrote:Hey Paul,

We have unplugged and re plugged the plugs to the auto. No power light flashing in the dash cluster. Even tried a different auto computer just to make sure it wasn't that.The only thing out of the ordinary , that was done, during the lifting of the engine , the chain pressed on the throttle positioning switch and broke the casing ( wouldn't lock on ). To fix that , we cut the plug off and soldered another plug with wires on. Then tested the joins to make sure there was a good connection ( multimeter )
Cheers Rick.. I'm thinking along the lines of that TPS not working correctly :???: may need to check that with that multimeter (the ohms readings should be in the WSM) The TPS will definately stop the auto from changing correctly.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:37 am

go here http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/sho ... ht=code+31

then read post 6 by Al, this is how you check and set the TPS!!

bryan
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:19 am

RSR 555 wrote:Cheers Rick.. I'm thinking along the lines of that TPS not working correctly :???: may need to check that with that multimeter (the ohms readings should be in the WSM) The TPS will definately stop the auto from changing correctly.
Captain Obvious wrote:go here http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/sho ... ht=code+31

then read post 6 by Al, this is how you check and set the TPS!!

bryan
We tried to cheat , by swapping throttle bodies. But that didn't work. I don't know weather the throttle body and tps wasn't any good , or there is a difference between auto and manual throttle body's and tps and auto ones , but it didn't work. So here we go , try to do Paul and Bryan's idea. Set the tps. I will let you know how it goes.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:12 pm

One Subaxtreme bash plate of a 6 cyl outback modded and fitted to a gen 1 .

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:42 am

Thanks to all who point us towards the TPS. So far the car is alot better , but not all the way there. So we are going to try to cheat again by setting up another ej22 that is known ( replacing timing belt , pulleys , water pump, etc ) and putting it in. The motor that is in it is unknown. So we are going to try another. The gearbox in the car is also now,, an unknown item, as it got rather warm with the original motor. So if anyone has a manual set up they wish to part with , feel free to contact us.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:29 am

Rick.. if possible? run a compression check on the engine before you pull it out.. it will hopefully give you a good idea on it's condition.

Cheers,
Paul

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:32 am

Hey Paul, too late... The old motor is already stripped down and the replacement motor is sitting on the bench twiddling its thumbs waiting for a water pump gasket. The replacement came from a good source and its only issue was a snapped timing belt. Ross and Rick checked it over before fitting it, which is why the water pump is being done now, as it was a bit tired.

Funny how it's easier to fit another motor than bother fitting a timing belt. Another thing you've gotta love about Subies...

A compression test would still be in order though, even if it won't have much influence on whether Ross fits it or not. If it's not good enough for him, he'll just replace it again in due course.
Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:36 pm

No probs Steve.. you guys work fast :cool:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:04 pm

We are still having no luck with this car. So to find out if it is the motor or gearbox, the auto is coming out and a manual is going in. The dual range gen 1 box out of my outback is going in. I have another box to put in mine.

Out comes the box.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subie Boys”