Subie Boys , Lovey80 Resto

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:27 am

whoops......looks like there's some discontent in the ranks.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Settlement Creek Racing

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:13 pm

Got a chance to take some more paint of her today. Slow but steady .

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Do you use a wire wheel on an angle grinder to take all that paint off?

I dont know how you hang on to it for so long. I hate the vibration from those things!!
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

roscoruby

Post by roscoruby » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:00 pm

vincentvega wrote:Do you use a wire wheel on an angle grinder to take all that paint off?

I dont know how you hang on to it for so long. I hate the vibration from those things!!
Yes we do. A wire brush ( 2 types, cup and flat to suit where we are up to ) on either a 5 inch grinder which i normally use and rick uses a 7 inch grinder with the wire brush on. Once you have done it for awhile , it is not that hard to use them for hours on end. It would be like anything , if you do it long enough , it becomes easier.
Ross
1996 Gen 2 liberty Wagon, manual with L series low range Awd and vlsd .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:15 pm

While Ross was doing some resto work on his massage recliner , i took some more paint of the brumby. Found a little bog.

I will be contacting a couple of the people on the list of cars we will be doing. We wish to shrink the list down from 9 cars. Once the list ends , we are having a break for 12 months to fix our own cars. When i drive in the rain , my feet get wet and i dont have the window down or the door open , just getting in first..lol..

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:24 pm

Had some time today to take some more paint off. Picking the places to remove the paint first. As Steve is in the last stretch of the project he is working on. ( the person it is being built for, prefers it not to be put on forum, and have to respect his wishes ) so i am clearing the areas that are to be seam welded and strengthened for the extra power of the EJ motor.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:32 pm

While Ross was out maintaining a couple of elderly peoples lawns , i got a chance to remove more paint.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Ross and i grabbed a wire brush each today and went at it .

This is inside the tray. The stuff in there used as a protector , it comes off but is a little harder to get off than the paint.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:14 pm

Good stuff!
rtcb65 wrote: Image
I noticed you've done the same thing as me with the captive nuts - snapped the bolts that hold the bumperettes on the rear of the brumby... I did this on Sunnie and am yet to get replacement nuts and bolts, I'm just glad I can access the rear nut easy enough to replace with a none captive nut.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:28 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Good stuff!

I noticed you've done the same thing as me with the captive nuts - snapped the bolts that hold the bumperettes on the rear of the brumby... I did this on Sunnie and am yet to get replacement nuts and bolts, I'm just glad I can access the rear nut easy enough to replace with a none captive nut.

Cheers

Bennie
Hey Bennie,

Yer, it has happened to a few of them. Rust builds up on the thread and they wont come out. Break off instead. We will open the area's up and either take the bolt out or cut the nuts off and put new one's in. Then put anti seize or alike to try to stop it happening again.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:45 pm

And it still goes on, well off actually.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Coming along good now boys! I bet hanging onto the ginder your glad that the weather is starting to cool down. Looking good

Cheers

Chris

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:28 pm

Spent a couple of hours on the brumby today, removed the spare wheel mount and got the retainer ready for dressing up and strengthening . Also still at it , removing more paint.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:37 pm

Looking good there.. you guys are busy!!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

tex

Post by tex » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:39 pm

I can't beleive how many spot welds there are holding on that little spare wheel bracket, I'm still in this process!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:51 pm

tex wrote:I can't beleive how many spot welds there are holding on that little spare wheel bracket, I'm still in this process!
I am not completely sure, i think there was around 14 , give or take.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:22 pm

Took some more paint off her and some of the ute tray stuff. ( What ever it is . A coating used as help protect it). It takes awhile .

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:32 am

coming along very nicely boys! Only a couple more weeks before I get to see it again. How many cans of cold gal you up to?

Cheers

Chris

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:08 am

The light at the end of the tunnel is visible . About 80% of the paint is off the brumby now.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:32 pm

Got into it again today, removed some more paint. Looks like it is time to hang up the 7 inch grinder and get the 5 inch out, so the spots the 7 inch cant get to, will be reached. Here are some over all pics.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subie Boys”