Subie Boys , Lovey80 Resto

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:48 am

I'm even more sad now that I hear you're not doing the restos anymore Rick. I enjoyed reading your posts and was always in awe of your ability to turn these cars into masterpieces. Almost like your own TV show.. Rick's Restos :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Does anyone have some experience with ej22 engines having issues of cutting out when hot? It seems to be intermittent and when it happens it seems to go away for a while after the engine begins to rev again. The process of pushing in the clutch and pumping the throttle until the engine revs again results in a fuel smell in the cabin for a sec. I'm not sure if the two are related or it's simply a result of one causing the other.

Rick gave me a spare set of sensors but the plugs are different. So I don't want to go purchasing sensors to fault find as cash is real limited at the moment.

Point

Post by Point » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:28 pm

I know it's not EJ22 specific, but cutting out when hot is usually the dissy module. I also know the EJ22 doesn't have a dissy.... but it does have the ignitor module. On the Liberty it is mounted in the middle of the firewall, bolted directly to the metal. Where is it mounted on your Brumby? I think it would be worth checking if it is firmly mounted to a sizeable piece of bodywork that can act as a heatsink. Maybe even try mounting it to bare metal and use some heat compound?
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:09 pm

you are welcome to drop round my place and borrow some parts to test if you like. I have a complete EJ22 wreck you can borrow bits off that was running perfectly.

in exchange you have to take me for a run in the brumby ;)

PM me if keen I have the next 2 weeks off.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:11 am

It was my birthday had had way too much to drink when I put up my terrible post. I apologize to everyone on this forum for it. I am truly sorry Rick.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:18 pm

ktmtragic wrote:It was my birthday had had way too much to drink when I put up my terrible post. I apologize to everyone on this forum for it. I am truly sorry Rick.
Thank you George, I'm sure Rick will be glad to hear it.

Now.. Merry Christmas everyone and lets have a Happy New Year :cool:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:58 pm

Apologies on the thread dig!

I hoe this beast is still rocking along without any issues ;)

What I'm after is some information from the subi's boys - I realise you're not restoring old subi's anymore but I reckon you know what I'm about to ask as I'm sure you did it in this thread (pics aren't working on my phone but I'm 99% sure this is the thread).

What I want to know is how you removed the rear wall of the cab - specifically how you picked all those spot welds to allow you to put it back in again without issue.

I've got a spot weld cutter that's been awesome. But it's driven by an electric drill which is far too big to get close to the wall for a nice flat cutting angle.

Thanks in advance!

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Hey Bennie,

All we used , and have used since on the newer models is simply a cordless drill and a spot weld drill bit. Sorry mate ,if you thought it was something special. Just a drill and drill bit.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Nah Rick - that's good to know.

Might be time to up grade the quality of my drill bits ;)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Chris Love

Re: Subie Boys , Lovey80 Resto

Post by Chris Love » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:45 pm

Hello all and in particular the Subie boys. I’ve been trying to log in for a couple of weeks but my old credentials don’t work on the new site. I didn’t get a reply from the administrator. This is my new handle. Shortly after I got the car back from the boys and had it painted I was offered a Job overseas and I never got around to finishing it off completely. My needs have changed and I’m looking sell the car as an unfinished project so I can get a 4x4 that can tow a 2.5t boat.

Matt
General Member

Re: Subie Boys , Lovey80 Resto

Post by Matt » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:22 pm

You would be better off posting to the for sale site as there isnt in pictures on this thread any more :)

Return to “Subie Boys”