L 5 speed to M.Y

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:27 am

or standard thickness of an aluminium keep left sign

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:33 pm

Thanks i will have to buy some washers and then get one plasma cut out later of a keep left sign :-), i am just building my cross member for the center bearing mounting now. Man there is some serious work in it... But the results will be worth it knowing it has to twist the chassis instead of the floor.
How much did the 1 piece tailshaft cost to get done? and where did you have it done?
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:49 pm

steptoe wrote:or standard thickness of an aluminium keep left sign
works out to be 4mm or something?
cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Does anyone have a parts manual picture of the l-series linkages? (trying to get Subaru part no.s) I put some new bushes into my old L-series but no longer have the part numbers of what i bought. I am hoping to do a 5-speed into brumby conversion just thought while i was putting it together i'd give the linkages a birthday...

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:36 am

PM Username "Frog" on here or email him at AGreen@domsmotors.com.au. Andy is our Subaru Parts Gensis and will be able to get the bushes nice and cheaply! :) Or call 02 6964 1177
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

32ford

Post by 32ford » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:22 am

I am doing the 5 speed to brumby conversion and got a cable made that is brumby at the pedal but L series length, all brand new inner,outer,grommets, fittings on the ends for $160. flexible drive agencies said they could have used a second hand l cable and just swapped the end, but I decided that brand new and teflon lined would be better.

32ford

Post by 32ford » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:31 am

forgot to say I also got a brand new tailshaft made by adelaide drive shaft services. it has nissan uni at the gearbox end and holden at the other, both uni joints are rebuildable and have grease nipples. the shaft size is heaps bigger to avoid whip and it came painted and balanced for $299.55

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:03 am

Well worth a bit of a bump this thread :)

Observations over the years are to watch out for throw out bearing where it hits the fingers due to some differences of clutches in use between EA81 and EA82.

The diameter of the hole where all fingers point to each other differs, and depending on which clutch combo you go for could have the throwout bearing pushing a little further out from most central leverage point on the fingers.

Also not mentioned here , dont think, is if using the smaller EA81 clutch diameter ~ 8" ~(200mm) due to flywheel choice... I used the friction plate for Holden Gemini 1.6l petrol RWD - only one to choose from. It has a 0.1mm difference in the input spline measures and allows you to continue using the smaller pressure plate. Think I also used L series throw out bearing ? and clutch fork.

Pedals - I used MY pedal, Rick has used L series pedal - don't try install an L pedal box as suggested sometimes, unless you want unneccessary work. There is a difference in the length of the lever action - L for Longer = softer pedal ? Looks like the L pedal trick works.

No lever work involved for me as I used a matching grey (rare) L series console

coxy

Post by coxy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Apparently one of the Nissan or Isuzu throw-out bearings fits the bill, when using an EA 82 Clutch Plate with an EA 81 Flywheel, probably something along the lines of early Navara or maybe even Nissan 720 Ute and likely Early Rodeo in Australia or Frontera as I believe that is what they call a Trooper in America which is rumored to fit.This gives you a throwout bearing that fits the larger L series Inout shaft and lines up nicely with the fingers of a 225mm EA81 Pressure plate obviating the need to machine the EA 81 flywheel or adapt an EA 82 Flywheel to anable the use of a full EA82 Clutch assy.

And speaking of America when doing the MY or MV (Brumby/Brat) L series Five Speed conversion, many new guys end up on both forums USMB and AuSubaru chasing information and I have yet to see anyone actually point out this important aspect.

When it comes to clutch cables you will often read in the USA they use the original MY or Brat Clutch cable, These are not an option in New Zealand , Australia or anywhere else that is Right Hand Drive unless you want to convert to Left hand driver as party of the Gearbox swap.

Return to “Subie Boys”