Chridk Brumby, Subie Boys

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:44 pm

Sorry Chris. Didn't get anything done on the brumby today. Monday ross and myself had to change out a diff in a camper van. Yesterday you can see what we did. Today we did a full detail on a commodore. And starting tomorrow we have to do a paint job on a Toyota light truck. That will take us through to about Monday. Ross and i will be doing the truck , so steve can still do the panel work on the brumby.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:09 pm

Hey Chris,

told Steve today about the chassis mods, he came up with a good idea. you keep that same chassis size, same crumble zone affect. his idea is; move the chassis out the distance required.

Let us know what you think or if you don't quite understand, give me a call and I will explain more.

Started bare metaling under neath and found more rust in the chassis, so have to make another hole.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:11 pm

rtcb65 wrote:Started bare metaling under neath and found more rust in the chassis, so have to make another hole.
You sound really dissappointed at that fact rick... I think you enjoy making holes :D

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:34 pm

El_Freddo wrote:You sound really dissappointed at that fact rick... I think you enjoy making holes :D

Bennie
Making holes is good bennie. It finds more and more rust to cut out. By the time the brumby is finished , i think i can almost say there will be no rust in it. The disappointment you are sensing must be the fact of unable to move forward at our normal rate.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:45 pm

haha. thats wicked good guys. good to meet up the othe day. its real inspiring stuff seeing people doing the same kinda stuff as me (in the flesh too:) didnt meet u steve tho but next time maybe eh. good thinkng shifting the rails wider. just about no one would notice (feds ect)
or you could slice the body clean down the center and widen the whole show. 2 easy. haha. have a good one Boyz (and ocourse Girlz)
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:23 pm

Steve has been a busy boy the last couple of days. A few holes have now been filled in.

Also i have been sort of under the car baring the floor plan. Steve had the brumby on an angle to weld in the panels which made it easier for me to strip the floor pan.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dibs

Post by dibs » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:06 pm

hi guys
that rear engine stay bracket end up . the one below the spare.just curious .thinkin of my build
i was in awe of chrises rebuild cant imagine the end result.
dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chridk

Post by chridk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:28 pm

Once Again Lookin Good Boys

Lucky you posted that question Dibs, The engine stay had slipped my mind.
I should probably have a list but that would be to organised for me, hahaha.

Might make some enquiries tomorrow bout the stay.

Cheers Chridk

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:24 pm

You guys could almost build a car from scratch! The body, at least.

That'd be awesome. A fresh, days old Brumby to work on. Guaranteed rust free!
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:55 pm

Build a car from scratch? Probably could if we had a reason I spose... I am restoring a 1962 Volkswagen Type 3 Notchback as a 60's road racer though, and I decided a week ago that I'm going to drill every spot-weld and reduce the car to a stack of pressed steel panels. Then after restoring each sheet of steel, I'll hot dip galvanise everything before plug-welding it all back together and soldering every seam to seal everything. This will be a fully remanufactured and hand built car in every respect. It'll come together with original pale green paint and coffee coloured racing stripes, red stripe racing tyres, no hubcaps and it'll sit lower than original. Motor will be oldschool with magnito ignition and every part hand finished and polished or painted.

Back on to Chris's Brumby now... Here's a few pics of how it's now starting to look.

Because the back panel of the cab was so badly bent and dinged, I had to break it apart to straighten it out properly, then weld it back together with the new sections I'd made up for it.

Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:20 pm

absolutely unbelieveable

as always.
Settlement Creek Racing

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:55 am

A little update from yesterday...

Got the cab wall back in.

And cut the driver's side sill open and made a replacement piece out of the leftovers from the other side for the rusted section.

Finishing it off today, but got some tacked in yesterday arvo...
Steve.

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:02 pm

Today, after finishing the bit of work on the driver's sill, I finally got to do some engineering and modification on Chris's Brumby. One of the things this car needed in order to cope with what I've heard Chris is going to put it through and the power it's going to have, is some extra rigidity in the chassis and some gusseting.

Although the frame needed more strength to cope with being driven hard, it still has to incorporate crumple zones to cope with a crash should it happen. I did rearrange where the weakest point is, so that the back of the cab will absorb more energy before distorting too much. All in all, the car's frame now has some of the strength it needs in it's new life as a part-time race car, whilst being safer at higher speeds than Subaru designed it for originally.

Firstly, here's the finished sill and "A" pillar.

Okay, this is the first stage of giving this car some more backbone. One side is original and the other has the new section grafted in. I designed this part to transfer stresses from one end of the chassis to the other without putting so much through the floor. In practice, what this means is instead of the body structure having to be such a major component of the overall frame, it now acts more as bracing for the full length chassis...

And this is a better view along the newly amalgamated ladder frame chassis with both sides finished.
Steve.

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:59 pm

that is unreal!! keep up the good work boys!!
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:03 am

Very Very nice work. What colour is she going to be?

Cheers

Chris

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:09 am

lovey80 wrote: What colour is she going to be?

Cheers

Chris
I believe it is going to be the only color there is ,,, blue,,, Chris is not quite sure on weather to keep it original blue or something like the new camery bright light blue. Unless he has change his mind. Correct me if i am wrong Chris.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:27 am

The new Hilux blue is pretty....
Settlement Creek Racing

chridk

Post by chridk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:32 pm

Yep Blue will be the colour.

And Steve i am starting to think you don't have hand, you just have wands of metalic magic. You wave them over the car and hey presto, shaped metal forms before your eyes.

Thanks again boys

P.s I picked up a bonnet scoop for Steve to massage into the bonnet

Cheers Chridk

roscoruby

Post by roscoruby » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:04 pm

Sorry to any one following this tread. Waiting on steve to post this weeks pics of what he did.
Ross
1996 Gen 2 liberty Wagon, manual with L series low range Awd and vlsd .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:01 am

Not much to show Ross, I didn't do much...

Steve.

Return to “Subie Boys”