Subie Boys , Lovey80 Resto

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:47 am

Ecu mounted and pic to to show it .

Now we have run the wiring for the vac/electric switches to the dash and wrapped them and run with the original so it all looks part of the harness. No loose wires.

We hope to use the origenal switch from the gear stick .

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:26 pm

Starting to sort out the wiring for the Ej motor. Got a old harness and cut out the same color wires to extend the wires on the cut down harness. That way if the car ever in the future, needs to go to an auto lekie, he can trace same /right colored wires. No guess work and heaps of dollars to pay for time , trying to work out what color for what and were.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dwayneb

Post by dwayneb » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:39 am

rtcb65 wrote:Starting to sort out the wiring for the Ej motor. Got a old harness and cut out the same color wires to extend the wires on the cut down harness. That way if the car ever in the future, needs to go to an auto lekie, he can trace same /right colored wires. No guess work and heaps of dollars to pay for time , trying to work out what color for what and were.

That is some excellent attention to detail, hats off to you. :)
Back in a Subaru, 03 Forester XS:D

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:24 pm

The wiring is a little further now. Made up the fuel pump wiring and fitted it.

Steve made up the mount for the Awd switch so it fits to the dash , like a normal switch.

Most of the wiring , but not all, is now done in the engine bay.

Mounted in the Check engine light .

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1111giles

great work boys!

Post by 1111giles » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:45 pm

When this is all done and ready to rumble - i'd like to offer you my services as official test pilot - I am pretty cheap simply travelling and expenses! (that may not be cheap though!)

Great work guys..... the big day must be getting closer now have you any etf yet ( just so I can book the job in my diary !:D)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:22 pm

Going great guns guys, looking forward to seeing it in a couple of weeks. Hows that weather treating you back there?

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Very impresive work as always guys, and the mounting bracket for the 4wd switch appears to be all metal :cool:
Cheers, Mark
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:54 pm

1111giles wrote:When this is all done and ready to rumble - i'd like to offer you my services as official test pilot - I am pretty cheap simply travelling and expenses! (that may not be cheap though!)

Great work guys..... the big day must be getting closer now have you any etf yet ( just so I can book the job in my diary !:D)
Sorry 1111giles, We dont have finish dates. If we do a job, a person has to agree to a statement, that says ,," NO TIME LIMIT ". Sounds like you are looking for reason to come over to Australia. LOL.
lovey80 wrote:Going great guns guys, looking forward to seeing it in a couple of weeks. Hows that weather treating you back there?
Hey Chris, It is like English weather here at the moment. Nice warm day, then raining the next.
T'subaru wrote:Very impresive work as always guys, and the mounting bracket for the 4wd switch appears to be all metal :cool:
Cheers, Mark
Hey Mark, Yes the mounting bracket is metal. It all bashed, grinded and shaped out of a piece of sheet steel.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:27 pm

Hey Rick can you do me a favour and wind that Odometer back to zero for me mate while you have the dash out ;)

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Hey Chris, not so easy as people think to wind an odometer back... Actually, "winding" isn't the way to do it anyway, that's an old wives tale. If you want it reset to zero, we can do that, but the milage will be recorded on the side of the casing beforehand (to negate legal issues and for honesty's sake).
Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Moving forward alittle. Fuel pump relays are mounted in now. As they are mounted in the cab most of the time and i mounted them in the engine bay, i made a cover to protect them from any water that may splash them.

The on wire need to be repaired so i cut a wire out of a liberty harness that had a couple of extra wires coming off the wire. The extra wires were used to connect one of the power wires from the computer and the power for the electric/vacuum switches for the diff lock. Once all that was connected , it was all wrapped so it all looks part of the harness.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:54 pm

One more step done. Speed sensor is now fitted and wired in. Drilled a hole as close as possible to where the sensor is mounted and put a grommet to run the wiring through.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:42 pm

Wiring in the gearbox now. The standard L series box only has 2 to 3 switches on them. The RX box has five. So extending the wires ( colour matching the wires , as usual ) and working out what each one is so once they are extended , we can get new plugs to wire them to , to plug to the loom.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:04 am

Going great there lads. I did reply a while back to the ODO joke but it's gone. For reference mate she can stay as she is. Getting excited. Won't be long before I am back to see it.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:39 am

speed sensor - looks just like a cruise control sensor ! Good to see you are fitting one. Others in the past have said it is not found to be needed.

Sure you have done these before but can I say I have fitted speed sonsor in the past for my cruise control installs and I have broken a few brackets due to my design :) and inexperience when too little clearance and too much movement of the uni joint of tail shaft. I wonder if you have considered mounting magnet(s) on a CV shaft up frontr where it is easier to observe and access

Have to admit, I have not been keeping up with this mammoth project - but I will

Jonno

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:14 pm

steptoe wrote:speed sensor - looks just like a cruise control sensor ! Good to see you are fitting one. Others in the past have said it is not found to be needed.

Sure you have done these before but can I say I have fitted speed sonsor in the past for my cruise control installs and I have broken a few brackets due to my design :) and inexperience when too little clearance and too much movement of the uni joint of tail shaft. I wonder if you have considered mounting magnet(s) on a CV shaft up frontr where it is easier to observe and access

Have to admit, I have not been keeping up with this mammoth project - but I will

Jonno
Jonno,

Yes it is a cruise control item. It is just a reed switch. We have fitted one before . It is on Ross's M.Y. turbo 81 wagon . It hasn't given any trouble at all.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Today's work has moved the winch bar alittle further alone.

Also today see's the gearbox and alternator all wired up.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:27 pm

Damn this subi is going to be one awesome piece of kit once its all finished up!

I've got a question about the AWD box - what are the extra switches for?? I've got one at my pero's joint that I'm now super keen to check out!

Again, love the work and the attention to detail!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:37 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Damn this subi is going to be one awesome piece of kit once its all finished up!

I've got a question about the AWD box - what are the extra switches for?? I've got one at my pero's joint that I'm now super keen to check out!

Again, love the work and the attention to detail!

Cheers

Bennie
Hey Bennie,

This box has 5 switches on it . We have got 4 out of the 5 connected back into the original lights on the dash. The switches are ( so far ) reverse, low, awd in, and neutral for the computer. The fifth , we have worked out yet. The fifth switch is wired up to the connecting block so if worked out in the future, it can still be wired up like the rest.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:57 pm

rtcb65 wrote:Hey Bennie,

This box has 5 switches on it . We have got 4 out of the 5 connected back into the original lights on the dash. The switches are ( so far ) reverse, low, awd in, and neutral for the computer. The fifth , we have worked out yet. The fifth switch is wired up to the connecting block so if worked out in the future, it can still be wired up like the rest.
Hmmm... I don't recall my EJ's ECU needing to know when the gearbox is in neutral... Interesting.

I want to go home now!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subie Boys”