Subie Boys , Lovey80 Resto

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:02 pm

I thought i should add, out of the $50 , the 3 of us get $4 each for our time and effort we put in making each one of these, the rest goes on the items to make them, Eg: glass mat, resin , hardener, thinners for clean up of the brushes and roller.

I also should say thanks to Ricksta, If we didn't buy his old M.Y. , we wouldn't have got the roof console out of it and add our ideas to it and , ended up with what we have now. Thanks mate , for leaving it in the car we got off you.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dwayneb

Post by dwayneb » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:35 am

Put my name on one then, I'll come up and pick it up, when you do it.

Thanks

For a Brumby
Back in a Subaru, 03 Forester XS:D

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:30 pm

So we don't bog this thread down and go off subject , i have made a new thread for the roof consoles.
showthread.php?p=123807#post123807

Today we Fitted new disks on a Tarago , new ball joints to a Navara and in there some where, Steve made up some bracing for the strut towers,( they are siting on the blue brumby just for show , that is why they dont look like they are fitted ) while Ross and i made up the mold for the roof consoles. Which is now on the above thread.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chridk

Post by chridk » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:56 pm

You could just weld them onto the targa brumby, I won't tell if you don't. Some more of steve's metalic magic being weaved, they look
bloody awsome.

Cheers Chridk

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:25 pm

chridk wrote:You could just weld them onto the targa brumby, I won't tell if you don't. Some more of steve's metalic magic being weaved, they look
bloody awsome.

Cheers Chridk
I was thinking you might say that when i was typing it , i almost put " sorry chridk , not welding them in there " lol . I think i have said this to you before, what you see is what you will be getting .
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:16 pm

rtcb65 wrote:So we don't bog this thread down and go off subject , i have made a new thread for the roof consoles.
showthread.php?p=123807#post123807

Today we Fitted new disks on a Tarago , new ball joints to a Navara and in there some where, Steve made up some bracing for the strut towers,( they are siting on the blue brumby just for show , that is why they dont look like they are fitted ) while Ross and i made up the mold for the roof consoles. Which is now on the above thread.

Are they made to make the towers stronger?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:23 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:Are they made to make the towers stronger?
Cheers
AP
They are the same as the strut braces you can buy , but dont get in the way like the braces do. They arent there to stop all the movement , but just to help out with the extra power of the EJ motor . Just to help the stresses and help hold the original spot welds, hold the car together.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:29 pm

rtcb65 wrote:They are the same as the strut braces you can buy , but dont get in the way like the braces do. They arent there to stop all the movement , but just to help out with the extra power of the EJ motor . Just to help the stresses and help hold the original spot welds, hold the car together.
Fair enough sounds good idea to have that there. Its a useless space behind the towers anyway (was looking at that in my liberty on other day)
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:29 am

More lurking nasties revealed, while I was popping panels apart in order to straighten the kinked chassis rail...

Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:14 pm

Steve got into the Brumby today. Put in the strut braces that he thought up , hammered out and now welded in ( Sorry Chris K ). Also put a few more stitch welds in , in places that he found to be lacking . Last but not least , he decided to make up a new engine stay rod mount as the original looked a little bent and the bolt had to be move so it was pointing the other way to suit the E J engine.
Luckily he did , the amount of spot welds that you would expect to be holding that item on was lacking. The were only about 30% of what you would expect. The robot must have had a hick up when doing that bit.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chridk

Post by chridk » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:19 am

Dam, they look great, i am suffering from the green eyed monster of envy. Keep the awsome work rolling on boys & girls.

Cheers Chridk

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:11 am

Heree's a slightly nicer pic of the bit I had to make up. and a view of the area under the original mounting. 9 spot welds down at the bottom, 2 where it joined the underside of the spare wheel mount and nothing in between. The new mounting should be strong enough for a few horsies...

And some more pics of the strut baracing and stitch welding (full seam welding will cause more problems than it solve if anything HAS to bend).

All looks a bit ugly and messy right now, but a bit of paint will make it look prettier.
Steve.

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:03 am

Looking great there steve! Is Rick standing over you with a whip or something? Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers

Chris

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:58 am

Nah mate, he was actually asking me to slow down a bit so he could keep up with progress pics. If he brought the whip out, there wouldn't be much work getting done. ;)
Steve.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:34 pm

Steve got the engine retainer mounted on today. He didnt get anything else done because we had to drag him off the brumby, to make up some seat mount frames to be able to fit a set of sport type seats to a L series.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:28 pm

While ross and i where detailing a navara, Steve got back into today. Some more bracing for towing to keep the back end together. Also the wheel well ( spare wheel mount ) has been started.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:43 pm

Some more pics of the same...

Steve.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:48 pm

great idea for the spare. I had always thought mounting the spare off to the side and putting a bump in the tonneau cover was a good idea. This is way better.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:55 pm

vincentvega wrote:great idea for the spare. I had always thought mounting the spare off to the side and putting a bump in the tonneau cover was a good idea. This is way better.
I think so to, It puts the spare out of the way and still keeps most of the load space. That was the idea behind it anyway.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:47 am

It looking like you boys are cooking with gas now! Rick have you set up a bed in the shed so Steve doesn't have to leave it? Sweat shop style ;)

Really looking good!

Return to “Subie Boys”