Subie Boys , Lovey80 Resto

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:23 pm

rtcb65 wrote:The battery tray is removed and a new one is going to be made to suit the other side. As were it was , is where the air fillter is going. Beside the wheel well , there is to be a box made to take a back up/accessory battery . IF we can make it fit.
Why not put the secondary battery in a box under the tray in the cavity beside the spare wheel? There'd be plenty of room to put it there with a bit of protective plate to look after it offroad. It'd keep the tray looking clean with just the spare in there...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:22 am

Elfreddo,

I think thats exactly what Rick was trying to say. The plan atm is to have the aux battery underneath the tray next to the wheel well with an access door cut into the rear wall of the cab. Thats of course if a big deep cycle battery will fit in the space left over from the well. I suppose if it is possible these lads are the ones that will put it off.

She certainly will be a unique little brumby. Rick keeps coming up with mods that I hadn't even dreamed of until the build started. While the wheel well and aux battery under the tray were my idea's I think a few will be shaking thier heads once she is done with all the weird and wonderfull little touches Rick has instore. Every time I see him he has a new one ;)

A lot of credit needs to go to these three and thier very nice back up crew that keeps them going.

Cheers

Chris

Jludcke86

Post by Jludcke86 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:20 pm

lovey80 wrote: A lot of credit needs to go to these three and thier very nice back up crew that keeps them going.

Cheers

Chris
Thanks alot for that Chris,
Jasmine
Rick's Other half

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:31 pm

Steve was at it again today. He made a new battery mount for the other side of the engine bay, where it has to go to suit the EJ transplant.

Also made and fitted 2 floor braces/ seat mount.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:04 pm

Here's the finished battery platform, on a piece of the same sheet it was hammered out of, just for some perspective...

And here sitting in its final resting place.

All welded in and finished.

And these are the only tools used in shaping the piece up, except for the drill press further along the bench. The vice is the only former used to beat it over, and the sockets are just used to flange the hold-down holes.

Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

32ford

Post by 32ford » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:48 pm

craftsman at work. really nice to see proper panel beating going on, not just remove and replace.

riksta

Post by riksta » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:54 pm

love your work man, good job well done.

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Today Steve made up a center bearing carrier. Even though this car will be running a single drive shaft, we are putting a bearing carrier in. That way if anything happens to the single shaft, there is the option to put the 2 piece shaft in. There would be a lot better chance to find a 2 piece shaft at a moments notice than a one piece shaft. This bearing carrier is not going in this one yet. It is going in one of ours to test it. To make sure it does the job. We would rather test it on our own car and make sure it does the job, than put it in a project car and hope for the best.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:21 pm

2 piece shaft would be better option due movement etc.. Gen 1, 2 & 3rd Liberty has two shaft, but fair enough about single shaft.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:14 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:2 piece shaft would be better option due movement etc.. Gen 1, 2 & 3rd Liberty has two shaft, but fair enough about single shaft.
Cheers
AP
People seem to like the singles, it saves buying 2 uni joints and replacing the centre bearing. At least this way, he has the choice .
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:02 pm

That is one neat centre bearing mounting point! It looks heaps stronger than the L series unit - it's pretty much two captive nuts with a small bit of reinforcement around them, not a full on bar from one part of the underbody rail to the other... Good work!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

dukbilt

Post by dukbilt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:30 pm

I spent last night reading this entire thread from start to finish. I am completely and utterly floored by your fantastic workmanship - the attention to detail, and use of 'old school' skills is art in itself. I can't wait to see what the finished car looks like, and I'm eager to scour through your other posts as well! Keep up the magnificent work, guys (and a big thumbs up to your support crew!).

I think you guys need your own website...

Ewan

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:55 pm

Another little update to this "nearly done modifying the crap out of it" project...

Designed and made up the final flanged "subframe bridges" to gusset the front to rear sections of the main subframing today. I'll be making a template tomorrow whilst knocking up the sister to this one for the other side, so it'll be simpler to replicate for other cars in the future (very near future appearantly). As you can see in the pics, it's fabricated out of a basic piece of "C" purlin (1.6mm wall).

Next step (after whipping up the other chassis gusset tomorrow) will probably be fabricating and grafting in one of these to carry the centre bearing on the two piece tailshaft...
Steve.

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:34 pm

i wood not used a big deep cycle battery in a car if u do not have the right bits to charge it as it will only last about 3 months .
it is that the alternator will charge it to fast .

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:42 am

That looks bloody solid Rick, she'll be a tank of a Brumby. I guess I'll have to rename her. 'Scrappy' just aint going to cut it anymore..... Although lots of scrap has been fabricated into it? Only a few weeks and ill be up to say g'day!

Cheers

Chris

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:43 am

Once again, the quality you guys produce puts the rest of us to shame! Great stuff. It'd be great to see video of this thing on (or off, rather) the road once its done!
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:25 am

lovey80 wrote:That looks bloody solid Rick, she'll be a tank of a Brumby. I guess I'll have to rename her. 'Scrappy' just aint going to cut it anymore..... Although lots of scrap has been fabricated into it? Only a few weeks and ill be up to say g'day!

Cheers

Chris
Hey Chris,

You will have to call her H4 Jr, Since you drive around in a hummer for your job over there. We wish to make it as safe , if not safer, so it new name could be H4 since there is not a H4 hummer yet and since it is smaller , Jr. Or h4j. Just a silly thought. Just thinking of a way to include work and play into one. Now i am starting to sound like a dick head. Shut up rick , before ya show ya true colors.

Thalass wrote:Once again, the quality you guys produce puts the rest of us to shame! Great stuff. It'd be great to see video of this thing on (or off, rather) the road once its done!
Thanks Mate,

It's comments like that , that keep us going. Upon saying that, we dont think we will be doing this for much longer. Once the 2 brumby's are done , at the moment we are thinking of giving it up. Time will tell.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:01 am

When I start my brumby I may end up asking you guys a bajillion stupid questions about this sort of thing. It has just occurred to me that the spare wheel slot you have here would be a good spot for a battery box. :D
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Okely Dokely... These bits are done and welded in now...

Thought I'd include a pic of the process and the template I made up today.

Steve.

Barry1956

Post by Barry1956 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:02 pm

Have just read through this thread, read the blue wagon thread last night. You are simply magnificent. It is wonderful seeing old cars given the respect they deserve.

Return to “Subie Boys”