Brumby build

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
chubby37
General Member

Brumby build

Post by chubby37 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:32 am

I was thinking of putting an ej 2.5 in a brumby and the ej gearbox... What is the best way to go with suspension and brakes... I was thinking of getting an early forester or lib if the running gear will fit into a brumby.. It's been a long long time since I worked on one or even an my so I can't remember what works best and fits... Sorry if these questions have been asked a million times before....

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Brumby build

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:48 pm

Chubby!!! He’s back!

To answer your questions: EJ251 SOHC will fit. EJ253 too, but I’m unsure how much wiring is needed with security etc. the EJ251 can be found without the security module etc.

The EJ AWD gearbox will fit - you will need a custom gearbox crossmember and work around the swaybar or source an auto’s swaybar as the exhaust hump is different between the two - the auto having a hump that only covers the exhaust. The manual unit has a flat section that widens the space for the exhaust and this causes issues with the crossmember requirements.

You will also need a custom tailshaft, not sure on what is exactly needed for a two piece tailshaft with the EJ gearbox. For a one piece, I recently read that to avoid vibration with a one piece tailshaft, the gearbox output and the rear diff input must be parallel and work with in the angle specs of the uni joints.

Driveshafts: custom shaft with a modified inner cup (swapped) to fit the EJ 25 spline output shaft or male inner CV joint to mate to the gearbox.

Another alternative for the phase 2 gearbox with the male drive shaft spline/axle into the diff is to sacrifice an L series gearbox for the 23 spline diff stubs, shave a groove in them at the correct depth and point on the stub axle to match up with the spider gear and use a C clip to hold the stub axle in place. You also need to swap the diff bearing retainers to get the correct oil seal for the diff stub axles. This is what I’m in the process of doing now for my conversion. Phase 1 and early phase 2 with the 25 spline diff stubs - the L series 23 spline diff stub axles can be swapped in by splitting the box and swapping the diff stub axles - there’s a circlip holding the stub axles in place.

MY 23 spline diff stub axles are too narrow at the diff end to fit the L series or the EJ front diff spider gears that they mesh with. So the 4spd box is useless for this mod - which is a bummer as I have about four of these gearboxes!

From what I can tell with my mock up so far, the gear lever rods will need to be modified as well to fit the MY’s factory shifter hole (I’ve only looked at an L series shifter setup - way too long with the EJ box!). Or (*cringe*) cut a hole where it’s needed to fit the factory EJ shifter. I need to investigate this further though. I won’t be cutting new holes!

All the usual EJ conversion stuff needs to be covered, such as engine mount hole elongation outwards and wiring etc.

That’s it in a nutshell!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:59 pm

That's awesome info... I'm sure I'll pick your brain over the next few months if I get stuck... I'll be posting pics as we go.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:48 pm

No worries Chubby. Fire away when you’re ready!

I was thinking last week that I need to get back into taking pics of this stuff - and crack into making videos of it too. It’s all time to do it though really!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”