89 Targa Brumby

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
pedroj

Post by pedroj » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Crikey,
you have my old brumby.... ARGGHH I thought it had gone to heaven, the rear reversing light is a tell tale for me.... I take it there is an antenna mount on the roof of the beast... with a orange and blue toggle switch (they glow) on the left side of the lower dash (orange for fog and blue for Spot)

I can explain all of the switches if you need more information :) The tray light should come on when the interior light is on and the switch up by the drivers head (B pillar) is on. Also the interior light is from a L series wagon..

any chance I could catch up and see my old friend (Barry The Brumby) one last time?

http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/cars/barry/index.html

now that stereo is different so that's odd and the radiator was replaced by me when I had it (new not recon) so seems that did not last long :(

Regards,
Peter

mattw

Post by mattw » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:54 pm

majordad1 wrote:Suby,

I am very happy with new Tonneau I got from some crowd in Gladstone was not expensive and turned up within a week. Will try and dig up the contact details and load a photo or 2. Mines a 92 and has a Catalytic converter had to replace it. Cheers Majordad
that would be these guys? Thanks for the prompt to go searching. I need one for mine.

http://www.kemptons.com.au/subaru-brumby-1982-current

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:08 am

pedroj wrote:Crikey,
you have my old brumby.... ARGGHH I thought it had gone to heaven, the rear reversing light is a tell tale for me.... I take it there is an antenna mount on the roof of the beast... with a orange and blue toggle switch (they glow) on the left side of the lower dash (orange for fog and blue for Spot)

any chance I could catch up and see my old friend (Barry The Brumby) one last time?

http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/cars/barry/index.html

Regards,
Peter
Well, that's just not fair! I went looking for MY old brumby, and I re-acquaint someone else with their old brumby!

Yeah, absolutely can come see her, she's not registered, so you'll have to trundle into Adelaide. If you've got more pics that would be good to see too, she's not as pretty as when you had it though.

All the switches are still there I think. I honestly haven't spent much time on her (or is it him, Barrry?) Supposedly got a set of factory 13 inch white wheels coming for her.

Just worries me you though it went to heaven.... Not sure I want to know why :???:

I sent you a PM.

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:03 am

Suby Spanner wrote:Well, that's just not fair! I went looking for MY old brumby, and I re-acquaint someone else with their old brumby!

Yeah, absolutely can come see her, she's not registered, so you'll have to trundle into Adelaide. If you've got more pics that would be good to see too, she's not as pretty as when you had it though.

All the switches are still there I think. I honestly haven't spent much time on her (or is it him, Barrry?) Supposedly got a set of factory 13 inch white wheels coming for her.

Just worries me you though it went to heaven.... Not sure I want to know why :???:

I sent you a PM.
Yes the world is so strange with its tangled web of events, I had enquired about that Brumby at MororReg and asked if the license plate was still active and they said it was un registered, so assumed that the brum had gone to a wrecker. um er look at the passenger door front lower corner and the passenger side A pillar around the hinges. Also around the passenger side windscreen (lower). Where ever you see GALV paint, that was me cleaning and trying to treat the dreaded rust as it was used by a beach fisherman in Pt Lincoln I believe.

http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/cars/barry/ click on the photo of the brumby with the caravan for a better view

I am sure the Brumby does not mind what it is called as long as it is loved :D

Peter.

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:23 pm

Hey Peter,
it can't have been used by a fisherman too much, as the body is pretty good. I agree about the door, that is pretty stuffed, my mate reckons repair it, but if I can find a decent door I might go that way. Passenger a pillar is the worst, but not as bad as many.

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:37 pm

Hi Suby Spaner,
the thing you identified are the reason why that red 89 and I parted company, I could see a day when it was going to be terminal and as it was my first Brumby it was very dear to me and could not bare to watch it decay and did not have the welding skills to repair it... so bought another one in better condition.
Suby Spanner wrote:Hey Peter,
it can't have been used by a fisherman too much, as the body is pretty good. I agree about the door, that is pretty stuffed, my mate reckons repair it, but if I can find a decent door I might go that way. Passenger a pillar is the worst, but not as bad as many.
I am off this week, so would like to see if I can catch up to look at the beast.
will PM you with my contact details.

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Went to you pull it:
Got another passenger door, much better than mine.
Front mudflaps.
Complete air filter box
and two different types of air con fan

Haven't had time to mess with it yet:
Oh, and found my rear muffler delete pipe off my old brumby :)

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Had a few hours spare so got to work.

Rear wheel cylinders look to be leaking, no surprise really. Shoes ok, drums bit hammered, but haven't found a source of new ones. Ideas???

Up for a few CV's at the front. Will replace the joints with decent brand ones, no chinese shafts for me thanks!

Gearbox mounts are stuffed. I'll probably do engine mounts also. Just hit the usual repco/sprints/bursons for them???

I wanted to get the air con going, but the interior fan had seized up, so pulled that out to free up, and the A/C evapourator was full of leaves and muck, so I pulled that out also.... Green dye everywhere... Bugger, I'm up for an evap core. I'd prefer new, anyone got a source for them? Mines a weird looking thing, very different from what's on ebay :(

I'll sort the shifter also, just hit subaru for a bush kit I guess.

A steering rack boot is split, no big deal, my steering guys have the original style, not those universal junky ones.

Managed to free up all the adjustable height suspension, so he's sitting nice and high :)

Other wise it all appears pretty sound.

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:01 pm

Sounds like some real progress, we have joined the brumby club again, another red one but a 92 with a red canopy (will come off soon). have fitted some liberty seats to mine...

Oh the green dye in the air con was probably from me, had the air con guys put some dye in to try and locate the slow leak it had, never did open up the fan box on that one. Gee sad to hear the CV's are dead, I replaced them with good quality ones sourced through my local Suby dealer.. Keep up the good work.
Peter

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:59 pm

So my CV guys tell me they weren't genuine shafts, so they must have been changed again at some stage. I could salvage on, but the other needed replacing.

Got new engine and gearbox mounts for him.

Since getting a new radiator and thermostat, he started putting a few drops of coolant on the ground every morning, water pumps shot. So got a new one of them to.

Does anyone know where I can get the front suspension bushes in rubber? I'd prefer not to go nolathane/plastic type of bush, but I can't find anyone doing them in rubber still.

Really would love to get a new evapourator core, but can't source anything. Any ideas gladly accepted.

Oh, and it's registered now! Yay :)

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:31 am

Suby Spanner wrote: Really would love to get a new evapourator core, but can't source anything. Any ideas gladly accepted.
Because of the design of the old evap core/whole A/C system you really need a genuine unit. Something about the valve in there. New original units are not available anymore, I went down the road of trying to source an aftermarket alternative - there is none! :( Nothing that wouldn't require redesigning the whole system. I had all but given up until I stumbled upon a mint condition Hitachi evap core at U-pull one day.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Yeah second hand seems the go for the evap unit, I do a fair bit of A/C work, and I'd really rather new, but if they aren't available......

Another question: I can't keep up with gearbox options for the brumby's. I found a 98 liberty EJ25 dual range box (same as outback?????), is that any good in a brumby?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:28 pm

Suby Spanner wrote:Another question: I can't keep up with gearbox options for the brumby's. I found a 98 liberty EJ25 dual range box (same as outback?????), is that any good in a brumby?
Only if you're putting the EJ in with it! Or if you're going to recase it in an L series set of front cases. You'd probably have to recalibrate the speedo for the smaller brumby wheel diametre.

Mind you, anything is possible with some research and maths in the speedo/tyre size department. The rest is working out the lego side of things.

The easiest would be the tried and tested L series 5 speed swap.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks El Freddo.

Did the l series ever come in an all wheel drive box, or was it only 2wd/4wd?

Chasing my tail with the cooling system on the bazza. First the radiator, then the thermostat, then the water pump, then a hose under the intake, then the manifold gaskets....

Errr! Two bolts were corroded solid in the manifold :(

Several hours of swearing, levering, heating, busting, drilling and tapping... then i could start to reassemble... Not the Friday night I wanted. (I'm betting the head gaskets let go rapidly once I get driving around in it)

Cleaned up my 13 inch sunraysia's, hope to paint them over the coming days. Does anyone know if they were plain white, or did they have a red or blue stripe around them also?

What could do you think I need to paint the brakes given it's a red brumby, with the factory white wheel?

Speaking of wheels, does anyone have the plastic ring to hold the wheel centre in the wheel? I'm missing one.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:36 pm

Paint your brakes a dark grey or black ;)

Factory rims were all white, no stripes!

The L box did come out in AWD but they're hard to find and if not treated well the centre diff may be flogged out. You can build an AWD box into L casings and fit that as already mentioned - some working out of speedo etc required. Bonus there is that you'd get the factory centre LSD. While relatively weak in the grand scheme of things, it means that if you lift a wheel or unload it enough you're not going to spin it for long. The L AWD box has an open centre diff that can spin one wheel when traction is lost. The reason why the L AWD box is an advantage is in offroad applications - you can lock the centre diff just like the L PT4wd box does when engaging the rear end.

So many options, some costly, some require research all will require mods to the gearbox cross member, linkages and tail shaft.

Cheers

Bennie

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:18 pm

Put the freshly painted, white, wheels on... Yeah, that looks better.

Picked up a better tailgate than mine at U pull it the other week end, the outter skin is beat, but the inside is far better than mine, so that'll save several hours work :)

Just gotta sort out this damn air con evapourator.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Suby Spanner wrote:Put the freshly painted, white, wheels on... Yeah, that looks better.
Got pics?
Suby Spanner wrote:Just gotta sort out this damn air con evapourator.
I'm sure there was an evaporator on one of the MYs at the Lonsdale Upullit last week. With the help of Silverbullet grabbing the centre console, I've now got myself a factory electric window setup to drop in the brumby :D I'm spewing that I didn't think about a friend that needs the lid and hinge from the touring wagon centre console!

Keen for some pics ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:16 am

I'll try to organise some pics.

Had a go at the air con last night.

I've got two scrapper brumbies, one had air. So reluctantly grabbed the evapourator out of that... Well it was fully charged with gas! I have my own shop and air con liscense so that's all covered. So it holds pressure, bingo that was a good start.

Pulled it out, looked pretty clean. Gave it a blow out, a clean with some wheel cleaner, washed it and put it in.

I haven't been able to locate a new reciever/drier :(

Vacuumed it down: It held vacuum.

Then charged it: Oh boy, was the compressor noisy at first. Kept charging it.... it quietened right down.

Then all I had to do was renew the vacuum line to the idle up actuator, which was siezed, so I freed that up.

Set the idle speed and idle up speed.

Then I checked the cabin temp......

It runs down to 5 degrees, then cuts out, cutting back in just under 10 degrees. That's text book for me, couldn't ask any better.....

Soooooo happy.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:38 pm

That's awesome.

I still have to fix the AC in my brumby and Sunnie the Brumby needs a re-gas. I think it's got a leaking O ring some where...

I'd also like to do my L series - it was awesome having AC in that thing! It was working really well but now is not so good in warm weather. In winter it was good for demisting purposes but that's about it. I also want to replace the compressor as mine is noisy, possibly the front bearing.

I probably won't get around to any of that on the account of $$$s involved. L series and my brumby were running HiChill. Very nice and I'm happy to run it - I've read people's theories about the dangers etc.

Thanks for the update SS!

Cheers

Bennie

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:34 pm

The hydrocarbon gases are hugely mis-understood. Could it be there is too much money involved in importing the synthetic R134A.... Just saying....

Anyways, so most cars hold 200 or 300 grams of hydrocarbon gas...about the same as a deordorant can....and how many people have them rolling around under seats, with out a thought?

Or station wagons with a 90L tank in the rear......

So 200 gram is nothing.

And the stuff stinks! On purpose, so you can smell it.

For years they scared everyone saying it's flammable... But how many recorded fires? None.

How many R134A fires? It was 3 or 4 IIRC... But R134a isn't flammable right, so hows there a fire? Because the system is under pressure, and it's got lubricating oil in it, so when it bursts, there's a huge oil spray.... and if it's ignited...

there has since been a hydrocarbon fire in a truck, but it wasn't one fault, there were at least two. I can't remember exactly the problems, but I think they found it was over charged, the front cooling fan wasn't working (so the pressure was sky high) and I think it burst the tx valve or evaporator under the dash, and something sparked it.

I like the hydrocarbon in old systems, it runs at low pressure, is really efficient. So it doesn't stress system like R134a does. Where it does fall down, is it's a smaller molecule, so it leaks far easier than R134a, and in some cases, the rubber hoses are actually porous to it, so it's of no use in them.

Hydrocarbon gas is commonly used in commercial system, eg supermarkets and cold stores, and with power prices going the way they are, it will likely increase.

Time will tell with my brumby, but so far the a/c is looking good.

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”