Brumby / MY fuel tank ego conversion

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
stenno

Brumby / MY fuel tank ego conversion

Post by stenno » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:37 pm

So I was in the process of converting my brumby to ej22 out of a g1s1 liberty. Plenty of time (working as a builders labourer) not much cash and an ounce of skill. And heaps of parts from various failed projects (scope growth)
Conversion needs efi fuel pump, have 2 x brumby fuel tanks (1 had a homemade sump of 4" water pipe welded out the bottom) a 2wd My tank, an efi l series tank, a liberty and a gc8 wrx tank. I was too tight to buy a surge tank from eBay or even buy the weld in fittings and make one myself.
Street outlaws started / became available to watch, flames and fender dumps and side exit exhausts became a must have in my mind. Haha
So, that space under the brumby where the exhaust goes next to the fuel tank suddenly became available.
I'll just extend the tank in width, gain an extra 10-15l of range and build the surge tank internal. None of that external mounted pump racket you get from Bosch 044s or walbro pumps cause I'll weld in factory ej pump hangers etc from the tanks I have.
Perfect, I'll only have to buy a little sheet metal and should be done quickly and easily.

Day 1: made a jig to replicate the spacing it needs to bolt up to, bust out the grinder and wallah

stenno

Post by stenno » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:47 pm

Can someone change the title to efi please haha

Anyway, 2 weeks later
Stare it down while drinking beer, ponder if I'd bit off maybe a little too much.

Cut up ej tanks to remove pickup baffles and pump mounting flanges
Note depth differences between g1s1 Liberty and gc8 Wrx factory pickup baffle. Gd series sti is deeper again apparently to combat fuel surge in prolonged cornering. When it does, engine leans out and usually you can tell via a conrod exiting the block

stenno

Post by stenno » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:52 pm

Cut holes for mounting flanges. Drink more beer and think of way to fit flanges for clearance of jet filler and hoses without having to space down tank and then all suspension as well

stenno

Post by stenno » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:57 pm

ImageImage
Weld in baffle, after making holes for clearances on important things

stenno

Post by stenno » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:06 pm

Start bending tank for flanges
I made a divider for the sealed surge tank section and welded it in but strangely have no photos on phone of this. It's going to use a return flange and is about 5 odd litres in beer coaster calcs
Nothing much further has progressed from here. Decided I should get suspension in to check for clearance before I welded it up fully. Just in case

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:06 pm

Awesome work stenno.

First, most important questions - how did you cut and weld the tank without it going boom?

And will all the fuel pump fittings work properly on that angle?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:01 am

good work stenno, and what this forum needs - some new thinking, work and fotos with story ...thought this was gonna end in a kaboomm story of woe, what with tank cutting and welding !!

stenno

Post by stenno » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:21 pm

Haha, yeh I was puckered up the first time I stuck the grinder into them. Even though they sat empty in the sun for a good 2 years and should have evaporated everything out, I stuck a hose in them for a good 1/2 hour and first cuts were when they were still full of water.
Pump hangers and angles should be easy enough to shorten up and bend to shape. I hope

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:37 pm

Awesome work Stenno - I wonder what the reason for angling them like that is ?

Ciao, Bantum ...

stenno

Post by stenno » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:46 am

I never measured tray to tank clearance. Haha. Also the size of the flanges is bigger than the top half of the tank is tall.
I'll prob have to adjust / cut out and weld flat sheet to take out the top edge for the hoses to "fit" between the 2.
Holley hydromat would be a far easier but more expensive option if you didn't need the ej guage senders. Use a commodore or falcon flange / drop in pump mount like the torana / kings wood guys do

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:27 am

stenno wrote: and first cuts were when they were still full of water.
very good thinking how did it end up ?

Macca

Post by Macca » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Stenno;

I.ve done mine and the fuel pump, under the paas seat is very noisy, especially when fuel gets low and at idle Which one did you use??

Thanks Macca

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”