Who's the best for Flywheels and Clutch Plates?

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Buddyboy

Who's the best for Flywheels and Clutch Plates?

Post by Buddyboy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:46 pm

Got a problem with a 1989 Brumby Flywheel, Clutch Plate and Pressure Plate.
Who's the Guru on this subject?
Regards
Buddyboy
Regards Buddyboy.

"Subaru, when only the best will do".

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:57 pm

not a guru

Whats the problem?

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:42 pm

My problem is, I have purchased a 1992 Brumby and stripped it completely for parts. I am using the Motor, Flywheel Housing, Flywheel, Clutch Plate and Pressure Plate of this vehicle, they're in real good condition and fitting them to a 1989 Brumby. My 1983-1984 Subaru Service Manual states that there should be "O" marks on both the Flywheel and the Pressure Plate. I take it that the "O" mark on the Flywheel is the "O" along with the other timing marks on the outside rear of the flywheel. Is this assumption correct. The Pressure Plate has no markings on it whatsoever and I assume that it has been a replacement part fitted to the 1992 Brumby. How do I install the Pressure Plate in the correct position. The diameter of the Clutch Plate is approximately 225mm and 21 Spline, the machined surface of the Flywheel is approximately 227mm and Approx 23mm recessed back from the front bolting surface. As I need the Brumby as my daily ride I have not removed the Engine, so I have no way of checking one against the other.
When the Flywheel is fitted to the Crankshaft Gear, the rear of the Flywheel is slightly touching the underside of the Timing Indicator on the Flywheel Housing.
Have I missed installing a Spacer between the Crankshaft Gear and the Flywheel?
Or could it be the the Timing Indicator on the Flywheel Housing has been damaged a pushed inwards.
Any assistance you or others could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Budyboy
Regards Buddyboy.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:19 pm

There is no spacer between the crank and the flywheel. Could it be you haven't bolted it back on in the correct orientation? That's the only way I could see it hitting the timing pointer. The flywheel can only go on 1 way; there is a slight difference in the spacing for the mounting bolt holes, which has to match up with the different spacing on the crankshaft.

As for the "O" mark on the pressure plate, I've never seen it on any of the 3 clutch swaps I've done on my cars, I don't think it exists on aftermarket replacement parts. I'm not sure it really matters, I've just put the pressure plate on so it slips onto the 2 or 3 dowels in the flywheel and all was sweet. Have fun lining up the friction plate with the gearbox input shaft with engine in the car :???: I've done it once; the pressure plate bolts need to be loose until the friction plate is on the shaft, then tighten each bolt individually through the starter motor hole :eek: I prefer to just take the engine out :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:02 pm

Thanks Silverbullet, but sorry, what is the friction plate?
The engine I'm working on is out of the vehicle and I have lined the clutch plate up using a transmission main shaft out of another gear box..
I am getting the flywheel machined today and that should ensure that the clutch surface is right and they can check that the flywheel runs nice and true.
Regards Buddyboy.

Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:59 pm

Silverbullet, another question for you if you don't mind. The bolts for the Flywheel Housing and the Pressure Plate, would they be the same diameter but with the Flywheel Housing bolts being just a bees dick longer? Yes, I didn't mark the packets containing the bolts clearly enough when I was doing the strip down and may have used the Pressure Plate bolts for the Flywheel Housing. Any help would be appreciated and especially the length of the Pressure Plate Bolts.
Regards Buddyboy.

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”