85 rally leone

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:37 am

It only sags on the drivers side front and rear and only after being stretched out (suspended on the hoist). it sits fine for a while after that.
Its prob nothing to worry about. If you have the time you could pull all struts out dismantle and measure spring free length and check dampers for leakage etc. But that is a pain in the proverbial.
it has rally style coil overs all round.
Sweet.
Does anyone know of a place in Sydney that reconditions shock absorbers
If they are serviceable/rebuild-able and they need it why not. The only place that comes to mind is Heaseman Steering which I believe are in Tempe
Also if anyone has some new front lower control arm ball joints and a set of gearbox mounts laying around in Sydney
Ive just assembled the new ball joints into my L, D'oh. I do have used G/box mounts, but not sure if I am willing to part with until I can source some more. Double D'oh.
And the box to me looks like a PT4wd - no vacuum diaphragm in the pic and from what I can tell no bulge below rear output shaft for the centre diff.

But the engine looks schmick for this rally car Probably wrong timing though, I know how projects like this go!
+1

J.

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:18 am

Its prob nothing to worry about. If you have the time you could pull all struts out dismantle and measure spring free length and check dampers for leakage etc. But that is a pain in the proverbial.
Suspension plays a big role (pun intended ) when it comes rally so anything i can do to have it at its best i will..
Ive just assembled the new ball joints into my L, D'oh. I do have used G/box mounts, but not sure if I am willing to part with until I can source some more. Double D'oh.
Im happy to get the ball joints from repco (anything i can get from a forum member that helps them out is better in my opinion ). As for the gearbox mounts i should have been more specific..
Im only after the 4 rubber mounts with the large retaining washers and bolts.
  • 1985 subaru leone rally car
  • 1999 subaru liberty
  • 1993 gq nissan patrol rock crawler/ touring
  • 1985 xj6 vanden plas ls1tt project

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:04 pm

This saturday i will be picking up my new engine.

I wont be needing everything on it. I.e. wiring loom, ecu, a/c pump, power steering pump, potentialy gearbox, rear disc set up, rear diff center. And what ever else i get off the guy while im there... (hes doing a clean out) so if you are after anything let me know
  • 1999 subaru liberty

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Nice score on the engine!

Could be interested in rear discs and rear diff if an LSD. Price dependant of course :(

Cheers
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:39 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Nice score on the engine!

Could be interested in rear discs and rear diff if an LSD. Price dependant of course :(

Cheers
How much are they worth?
  • 1999 subaru liberty

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:39 am

depends on completeness, whether 2WD or (4WD have splines etc) making more valuable, condition...seen go from 250 to 600

rally-leone

picked up the engine!

Post by rally-leone » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Ok so I managed to get the weekend off work.
I had planed on taking the whole weekend to pick up the engine as its 6 hours away and I didn't really have to be anywhere.
until of course I got excited about the engine and woke up at 3am instead.
so I managed to get up to Coffs around 10am and after 2 1/2 hours of talking and negotiations I was back to Sydney around 6:30pm
I managed to get a pretty good deal on everything as he was told by the Mrs to clear out the garage.
I picked up a td05 turbo w/ exhaust manifold and dump pipe, spare gear box, new clutch, new set of lifters,
a few spare slotted rotors and disk break components, rear disc set up (although the cylinders require a rebuild)
3 plug ecu and wiring loom, and some other little bits and pieces as well as the engine crane.
all for less than what he was originally asking for the engine....
As you can see this engine is the real deal with only 35k on it. striping it was like working on a brand new engine.
Every fuel hose and vacuum line came of as though it was only put on there yesterday.
The only downside to this engine was the damage it occurred in shipping from japan.
luckily every thing damaged I needed to replace to suit the rally engines loom
and lack of vacuum systems or emissions for that matter.
having a workshop with all the tools makes things very easy.
i was able to strip and swap everything over and fit the engine in by myself in about 6 hours,
unfortunately I had to be at work early on the Monday so never got a chance to finish and have yet to crank it
but only an hour or two left in wiring and other bits and pieces and she should be purring like a kitten (fingers crossed).
the Microtech ecu wiring is all over the place and hard to trace.
if there is one thing i hate more than anything its to have to put something together
that someone else took apart.

• 1999 subaru liberty

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:52 pm

ok, so that was PDQ getting the engine swapped over :p

Did the guy have any other stuff left over? I'm heading up that way this weekend?
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:54 pm

rally-leone wrote:How much are they worth?
No doubt more than I could afford!

The LSD probably $400-$600

Rear discs, hubs, calipers, backing plates and brake lines probably $400+ as well provided they're the 4wd set (which I'm sure your rally car would be 4wd!).

You must have some time on your hands to turn that around so quickly!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:26 am

I want that set of timing belt covers. They look pristine like some of the other bits on that score of a donor engine you got :)

So as for performance and longevity, do you plan to provide for an intercooler or water/meth inj setup? Or will this be a by the book period rally car?

J.

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:54 am

FujiFan wrote:I want that set of timing belt covers. They look pristine like some of the other bits on that score of a donor engine you got :)

So as for performance and longevity, do you plan to provide for an intercooler or water/meth inj setup? Or will this be a by the book period rally car?

J.
cheers
I have a top mount intercooler going into her and is allowed to by the regs of rally
  • 1999 subaru liberty

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:02 am

El_Freddo wrote:No doubt more than I could afford!

The LSD probably $400-$600

Rear discs, hubs, calipers, backing plates and brake lines probably $400+ as well provided they're the 4wd set (which I'm sure your rally car would be 4wd!).

You must have some time on your hands to turn that around so quickly!

Cheers

Bennie
the diff was non lsd so I didn't get it
I'm not to sure on wether its a 4wd set up or not I have to have a look at everything properly as I was in a bit of a rush and haven't even seen the car since I put the motor in.
And time is something I am definitely short on

P.S. i have added in a few bits on my previous post with the pictures
  • 1999 subaru liberty

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”