85 rally leone

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 31, 2015 10:36 am

An important thing to start with these unless you like wiring in new ECU and compenetry - start with telling us the numbers on the ECU.

Factory they were screwed up to the underside of the steering column. Some rally RXs got an upgraded ECU, then Subaru changed the ECU and engine management for 87 year models to use hotwire afm instead of flapper, an optical dizzy instead of mechanic advance/vac advance etc and the stuff just don't interswap

First series was three black plugs into ECU, next stage was four plugs

Somewhere in here are links to factory notes for the rally option upgrade component install on old typed up and gestetnered copies :)

if you wanted to start out right for an easy 17% improvement chase down a turbo Vortex with spider inlet manifold and all its electrical bits to go with it - once Pillarlessjim has found his though :)

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Sun May 31, 2015 2:30 pm

steptoe wrote:An important thing to start with these unless you like wiring in new ECU and compenetry - start with telling us the numbers on the ECU

if you wanted to start out right for an easy 17% improvement chase down a turbo Vortex with spider inlet manifold and all its electrical bits to go with it - once Pillarlessjim has found his though :)

As for the spider manifold..... if anyone ever comes across one let me know
  • 1985 subaru leone rally car
  • 1999 subaru liberty
  • 1993 gq nissan patrol rock crawler/ touring
  • 1985 xj6 vanden plas ls1tt project

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 31, 2015 6:37 pm

OK, thought as much - you don't need us for help with that baby - race use only - probably worth more than what you shelled out on the whole kit. That is not a Subaru dedicated item :D , nor their rally spec unit ! Have seen a black MT8 driving an STi EJ.

I am guessing the dizzy is the non vac advance type with optical pick up - or some other pricey modified unit to match the MT8.

Be curious for you to give the numbers cast/stamped in the body of the dizzy and what sort of air flow meter or maybe a vacuum driven MAP sensor ?

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:50 pm

steptoe wrote:OK, thought as much - you don't need us for help with that baby - race use only - probably worth more than what you shelled out on the whole kit. That is not a Subaru dedicated item :D , nor their rally spec unit ! Have seen a black MT8 driving an STi EJ.

I am guessing the dizzy is the non vac advance type with optical pick up - or some other pricey modified unit to match the MT8.

Be curious for you to give the numbers cast/stamped in the body of the dizzy and what sort of air flow meter or maybe a vacuum driven MAP sensor ?
I haven't had a good chance to go through the whole car yet as it is at my other workshop and things are pretty crazy at work at the moment.
From what ive read the mt8 is fairly universal even though they are designed around a rx7 13b
there was no map/maf sensor anywhere to be seen in the car or box of flooded parts so ill have to look into that when the time comes.

For now my main concern is get the engine in and test drive it before it is stripped and reconditiond.

As im sure everyone knows it isn't fun having a new car that you can't even drive.
  • 1999 subaru liberty

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:15 am

I know of a spider manifold, but be warned, everything's different, and I think it doesn't have the water jacket part (it's a separate piece that's sandwiched between the heads & inlet).
The standard computer was usually the 1st thing junked on the rally cars. I've seen 20% improvement from just changing that (the early black) without any mods.

Will you be in the same class as WRXs & EVOs? It's been a while since I looked into the regs, but I remember anything 4wd being on 1 class.

Do the chassis numbers match? Whilst the shell may look ok, it wasn't uncommon for FWD sedan shells to be used as replacements. It also wasn't uncommon for the number to be swapped on the firewall either ;)

I might be soon coming into possession of a running EA82T (but prob blown headgaskets) that will prob be surplus to my needs.

Don't forget to overfill the gearbox if you're going to run it in 4wd all the time. The ARC guys did this back in the day to help keep them working.
It'd be good to get hold of a Vortex box & do some swapping of ratios. They have a stronger input shaft due to no low range, and have a centre diff.
Ultimately, swap in the internals from a WRX box, then you could get a front LSD & viscous centre. Using a Liberty RS rear diff
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

legacytt

Ea82t

Post by legacytt » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:47 am

This could be the answer to your engine sourcing issue.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-bo ... 1080939096

I know some people here who used to rally one of the original 5 RX Turbo's imported in '85. they were forever replacing the dual range gears as these were the weak link. So a vortex single range box would be the go, or put liberty gearset and rear transfer in L series case.
Gen 1 Legacy GT 3inch lift and 28's

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:09 pm

I've just sent that guy a message asking what gearbox is included.
I've got a Vortex single range full-time 4wd box in my car currently, but I'd prefer the dual range full time box (mainly cos I've got RX turbo black interior trim & the centre console looks wrong :p).

If it's the right box, I do you a deal on mine with this engine?
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:25 pm

legacytt wrote: So a vortex single range box would be the go, or put liberty gearset and rear transfer in L series case.
For an EJ AWD in EA cases right? Just want to make sure this is what you're trying to say as you can't mix AWD stuff with PT4wd stuff.
wagonist wrote:I've just sent that guy a message asking what gearbox is included.
I've got a Vortex single range full-time 4wd box in my car currently, but I'd prefer the dual range full time box (mainly cos I've got RX turbo black interior trim & the centre console looks wrong :p).
Why not build a dual range box with an EJ dual range set of gears, EA or EJ cases (which ever you need to use) and the AWD centre locking diff out the back? Easiest way to convert the single range to dual range ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:32 pm

legacytt wrote:This could be the answer to your engine sourcing issue.

And the box to me looks like a PT4wd - no vacuum diaphragm in the pic and from what I can tell no bulge below rear output shaft for the centre diff.

But the engine looks schmick for this rally car :D Probably wrong timing though, I know how projects like this go!

Cheers

Bennie

legacytt

Post by legacytt » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:41 pm

El_Freddo wrote:For an EJ AWD in EA cases right? Just want to make sure this is what you're trying to say as you can't mix AWD stuff with PT4wd stuff.
Yes use the EA case but put all the gearset from EJ box in and then bolt the viscous centre rear housing on. Would need new Xmember and tailshaft but would make a good combo.
Gen 1 Legacy GT 3inch lift and 28's

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:13 pm

legacytt wrote:This could be the answer to your engine sourcing issue.

I know some people here who used to rally one of the original 5 RX Turbo's imported in '85. they were forever replacing the dual range gears as these were the weak link. So a vortex single range box would be the go, or put liberty gearset and rear transfer in L series case.
This looks great. Ive sent the guy a message, cheers.

No current updates as I've been flat out ayat work and haven't had a weekend since my first post.
  • 1999 subaru liberty

rally-leone

suspension

Post by rally-leone » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:25 am

Does anyone know of a place in Sydney that reconditions shock absorbers and what sort of price ill be looking at to get them done.
I noticed the car was looking a little droopy when I was in the yard last night...

Also if anyone has some new front lower control arm ball joints and a set of gearbox mounts laying around in Sydney ill happily buy them off you over getting some from super cheap...

cheers
josh
  • 1999 subaru liberty

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:06 am

new ball joints RP257? repco and others cheap as 25 bucks ??

I would have some L gearbox mounts

do you know how to send me a PM ?

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:37 pm

I noticed the car was looking a little droopy when I was in the yard last night...
More likely to be the springs causing this. And are you speaking of front or rear or overall?

J.

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:26 pm

FujiFan wrote:More likely to be the springs causing this. And are you speaking of front or rear or overall?
It only sags on the drivers side front and rear and only after being stretched out (suspended on the hoist). it sits fine for a while after that.

it has rally style coil overs all round.

AS for the EA82T engine on gumtree, I spoke to the guy (Tony, who seemed to be a very nice older gentleman that knew what he was talking about) about it today and unfortunately he has someone flying up tomorrow to check it out, but if the add is still up on Tuesday ill give him a call back (he also has a turbo brumby up for sale if anyone is interested $6500 looks very well put together)http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-bo ... 1080947325
  • 1999 subaru liberty

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:37 am

It only sags on the drivers side front and rear and only after being stretched out (suspended on the hoist). it sits fine for a while after that.
Its prob nothing to worry about. If you have the time you could pull all struts out dismantle and measure spring free length and check dampers for leakage etc. But that is a pain in the proverbial.
it has rally style coil overs all round.
Sweet.
Does anyone know of a place in Sydney that reconditions shock absorbers
If they are serviceable/rebuild-able and they need it why not. The only place that comes to mind is Heaseman Steering which I believe are in Tempe
Also if anyone has some new front lower control arm ball joints and a set of gearbox mounts laying around in Sydney
Ive just assembled the new ball joints into my L, D'oh. I do have used G/box mounts, but not sure if I am willing to part with until I can source some more. Double D'oh.
And the box to me looks like a PT4wd - no vacuum diaphragm in the pic and from what I can tell no bulge below rear output shaft for the centre diff.

But the engine looks schmick for this rally car Probably wrong timing though, I know how projects like this go!
+1

J.

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:18 am

Its prob nothing to worry about. If you have the time you could pull all struts out dismantle and measure spring free length and check dampers for leakage etc. But that is a pain in the proverbial.
Suspension plays a big role (pun intended ) when it comes rally so anything i can do to have it at its best i will..
Ive just assembled the new ball joints into my L, D'oh. I do have used G/box mounts, but not sure if I am willing to part with until I can source some more. Double D'oh.
Im happy to get the ball joints from repco (anything i can get from a forum member that helps them out is better in my opinion ). As for the gearbox mounts i should have been more specific..
Im only after the 4 rubber mounts with the large retaining washers and bolts.
  • 1999 subaru liberty

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:04 pm

This saturday i will be picking up my new engine.

I wont be needing everything on it. I.e. wiring loom, ecu, a/c pump, power steering pump, potentialy gearbox, rear disc set up, rear diff center. And what ever else i get off the guy while im there... (hes doing a clean out) so if you are after anything let me know
  • 1999 subaru liberty

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Nice score on the engine!

Could be interested in rear discs and rear diff if an LSD. Price dependant of course :(

Cheers

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:39 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Nice score on the engine!

Could be interested in rear discs and rear diff if an LSD. Price dependant of course :(

Cheers
How much are they worth?
  • 1999 subaru liberty

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”