85 rally leone

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
rally-leone

85 rally leone

Post by rally-leone » Fri May 29, 2015 10:25 pm

hey guys!
So I've acquired an 85 Subaru Leone rally car!!
It is very clean and straight with all the right gear in it!!!
However it has been sitting around for the past 4 or so years due to a blown head gasket/cracked heads and an unwilling owner.

When I got the car it was almost a rolling shell, the engine had been stripped and put on a pallet with the rest of the parts put in a tub that sat outside for the duration of its mid life crisis. there are cars in the ocean that have more hope of running again over this ea82t.
Going off the cams log book I found stashed under the seat in a puddle of muddy water, this is the 5th EA82T that has graced this former champion of a car.

So its time for number SIX

The basic plan so far:
  • source new EA82T
  • full strip down and rebuild
  • slightly bigger turbo and custom headers
  • tmic or waic
  • oil cooler
  • small cancer removal in the front cowl panel
I will upload some pictures when I get the chance.
All thoughts and advice are welcome (unless you are going to try to convince me to do an EJ swap)
Attachments
20150503_121546_resized.jpg
20150503_121546_resized.jpg (108.91 KiB) Viewed 6972 times
20150503_120619_resized.jpg
20150503_120619_resized.jpg (99.26 KiB) Viewed 6972 times
20150503_120545_resized.jpg
20150503_120545_resized.jpg (101.38 KiB) Viewed 6976 times
20150502_161415_resized.jpg
20150502_161415_resized.jpg (111.34 KiB) Viewed 7048 times
20150502_155344_resized.jpg
20150502_155344_resized.jpg (116.07 KiB) Viewed 6981 times

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri May 29, 2015 11:13 pm

Very nice good to see it getting a second life.

have you concidered going to a turbo EA81, you could use all of the engine management from the EA82T and build a bullet proof little motor.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Bantum
General Member

Phoar ...

Post by Bantum » Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 am

Good find - I like the previous drivers names :

Mad Mick & Crazy Curtin ... :)

Good luck with the recommissioning. Gonna keep the old graphics ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

Vortex75

Post by Vortex75 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:38 am

Sweet pick up mate, new engine and you're racing! I dont think I've ever seen ea82t parts looking like that. Toonga, question about your suggestion, what would the power diff be between the ea81t and ea82t?
Canny
89 Vortex XT 4WD Turbo

Point

Post by Point » Sat May 30, 2015 12:10 pm

First port of call would be the CAMS rulebook and homologation papers to see what mods you are allowed for the class of racing you want to do. You might be stuck with standard headers and turbo housings, and no intercooler.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Sat May 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Ive had a good read of the class regulations, you are allowed a 17% power increase but it is limited. Exhuasts and inlets are pretty much fair game including intercoolers...
No head work will be done other than a new face (maybe a port match)
  • 1985 subaru leone rally car
  • 1999 subaru liberty
  • 1993 gq nissan patrol rock crawler/ touring
  • 1985 xj6 vanden plas ls1tt project

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat May 30, 2015 1:53 pm

Nice find. Where abouts in NSW are you as I may be able to help with engine etc. All of those crusty parts can be salvaged even possibly the cams in those rotten looking cam boxes.

J.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat May 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Vortex75 wrote:Sweet pick up mate, new engine and you're racing! I dont think I've ever seen ea82t parts looking like that. Toonga, question about your suggestion, what would the power diff be between the ea81t and ea82t?
Canny
89 Vortex XT 4WD Turbo
EA-81T

The EA-81T is not an official engine designation from Subaru. The "T" is used informally to refer to the turbocharged version of EA-81 engines that are equipped with a turbocharger and multi port fuel injection.

Additional specifications

Compression Ratio: 7.7:1
Turbocharger Pressure: 7 psi
Valvetrain: OHV Pushrod
Horsepower: 95 bhp (71 kW; 96 PS) at 4,200 rpm (US)
Torque: 123 lb·ft (167 N·m) at 2,800 rpm (US)

EA-82T

The EA-82T engine was introduced in 1985 for the GL-10 models, and later on RX Coupe models. It is a turbocharged version of the MPFI EA-82 with modified cylinder heads and lower compression pistons.

Additional specifications

Turbo: IHI model RHB5 VF7
Compression Ratio: 7.7:1
Turbocharging Pressure: 7 psi
Horsepower:
1985-1986: 111 bhp (83 kW; 113 PS) at 5,200 rpm
1987-1990: 115 bhp (86 kW; 117 PS) at 5,200 rpm
Torque: 134 lb·ft (182 N·m) at 2,800 rpm

There you go but remember this information is from wikapedia not Subaru

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EA_engine

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Sat May 30, 2015 5:04 pm

FujiFan wrote:Nice find. Where abouts in NSW are you as I may be able to help with engine etc. All of those crusty parts can be salvaged even possibly the cams in those rotten looking cam boxes.
I'm in western sydney.
thanks for the offer
turbos are seized, the cams need to be reground, block needs to be bored to remove the rust (probably too deep for just a hone), heads are missing, timming belt pullies are destroyed in rust along with the distributor and the headers are rusted through (hence customer headers)....
The only part worth keeping is inlet and everything attached like piping etc.
All in all its going to be cheaper reconditioning a running engine than it is to replace and machine all the parts i have....
  • 1999 subaru liberty

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Sat May 30, 2015 5:07 pm

Toonga Im interested in how this is done but i think for now im going to stick with the ea82. But maybe get another engine set up for a spare
  • 1999 subaru liberty

timmo

Post by timmo » Sat May 30, 2015 6:33 pm

do you know any history of the car? Be cool if it was one of these
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Sat May 30, 2015 7:57 pm

timmo wrote:do you know any history of the car? Be cool if it was one of these
Ahh un fortunately not to much information on it. Only what has been put into the cams log book anyway.
It was first registered for cams in 1991so id say it was after the originals, but it has been in a few national rallies.

Going by the condition and measurements of the chassis it hasn't been invovled in any serious crashes.
  • 1999 subaru liberty

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat May 30, 2015 8:33 pm

turbos are seized, the cams need to be reground, block needs to be bored to remove the rust (probably too deep for just a hone), heads are missing, timming belt pullies are destroyed in rust along with the distributor and the headers are rusted through (hence customer headers)....
The only part worth keeping is inlet and everything attached like piping etc.
All in all its going to be cheaper reconditioning a running engine than it is to replace and machine all the parts i have....
Been there myself. Reconditioning an engine means you have to pull it down anyway (in working order or a rusted seised lump) and have machining done where needed. If you can obtain a ok running EA82 in turbo spec then go for it. Otherwise you could start with the block you have take your time and do it really well (Unless you wish to keep it original as possible, you may even look into using the EJ20 slugs as per steptoes thread somewhere). sourcing turbo version heads is no biggy. Otherwise mod N/A MPFI heads.

I suppose a lot depends on how much time you have and or how soon you want to get that cool L series beast running.

J.

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Sat May 30, 2015 9:03 pm

FujiFan wrote:Been there myself. Reconditioning an engine means you have to pull it down anyway (in working order or a rusted seised lump) and have machining done where needed. If you can obtain a ok running EA82 in turbo spec then go for it. Otherwise you could start with the block you have take your time and do it really well (Unless you wish to keep it original as possible, you may even look into using the EJ20 slugs as per steptoes thread somewhere). sourcing turbo version heads is no biggy. Otherwise mod N/A MPFI heads.

I suppose a lot depends on how much time you have and or how soon you want to get that cool L series beast running.

J.
Engine wise i only want it to be basic and as reliable as an ea82t can be... being a rally car it will be flat out for as long as possible... and there is always going to be some sort of problem that needs fixing. With a standard engine i can have another standard engine/gearbox on the shelf waiting. At minimal cost.
  • 1999 subaru liberty

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat May 30, 2015 9:15 pm

Ok good points you make rally. Im only suggesting that since the engine is somewhat stripped down anyway why not work with that.
The help im offering is that Im keen on the old L series and what you have in that sedan is awesome. Plus your only about 100kms away. I for one would like to see you get the old girl running and out there :)

As for the gearbox Im curious as to if it has the all the fruit as in ratios and main bearing mod.

It does definately help though to have a spare engine and transmission ' on the shelf' as it were.

J.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 31, 2015 10:36 am

An important thing to start with these unless you like wiring in new ECU and compenetry - start with telling us the numbers on the ECU.

Factory they were screwed up to the underside of the steering column. Some rally RXs got an upgraded ECU, then Subaru changed the ECU and engine management for 87 year models to use hotwire afm instead of flapper, an optical dizzy instead of mechanic advance/vac advance etc and the stuff just don't interswap

First series was three black plugs into ECU, next stage was four plugs

Somewhere in here are links to factory notes for the rally option upgrade component install on old typed up and gestetnered copies :)

if you wanted to start out right for an easy 17% improvement chase down a turbo Vortex with spider inlet manifold and all its electrical bits to go with it - once Pillarlessjim has found his though :)

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Sun May 31, 2015 2:30 pm

steptoe wrote:An important thing to start with these unless you like wiring in new ECU and compenetry - start with telling us the numbers on the ECU

if you wanted to start out right for an easy 17% improvement chase down a turbo Vortex with spider inlet manifold and all its electrical bits to go with it - once Pillarlessjim has found his though :)

As for the spider manifold..... if anyone ever comes across one let me know
  • 1999 subaru liberty

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 31, 2015 6:37 pm

OK, thought as much - you don't need us for help with that baby - race use only - probably worth more than what you shelled out on the whole kit. That is not a Subaru dedicated item :D , nor their rally spec unit ! Have seen a black MT8 driving an STi EJ.

I am guessing the dizzy is the non vac advance type with optical pick up - or some other pricey modified unit to match the MT8.

Be curious for you to give the numbers cast/stamped in the body of the dizzy and what sort of air flow meter or maybe a vacuum driven MAP sensor ?

rally-leone

Post by rally-leone » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:50 pm

steptoe wrote:OK, thought as much - you don't need us for help with that baby - race use only - probably worth more than what you shelled out on the whole kit. That is not a Subaru dedicated item :D , nor their rally spec unit ! Have seen a black MT8 driving an STi EJ.

I am guessing the dizzy is the non vac advance type with optical pick up - or some other pricey modified unit to match the MT8.

Be curious for you to give the numbers cast/stamped in the body of the dizzy and what sort of air flow meter or maybe a vacuum driven MAP sensor ?
I haven't had a good chance to go through the whole car yet as it is at my other workshop and things are pretty crazy at work at the moment.
From what ive read the mt8 is fairly universal even though they are designed around a rx7 13b
there was no map/maf sensor anywhere to be seen in the car or box of flooded parts so ill have to look into that when the time comes.

For now my main concern is get the engine in and test drive it before it is stripped and reconditiond.

As im sure everyone knows it isn't fun having a new car that you can't even drive.
  • 1999 subaru liberty

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:15 am

I know of a spider manifold, but be warned, everything's different, and I think it doesn't have the water jacket part (it's a separate piece that's sandwiched between the heads & inlet).
The standard computer was usually the 1st thing junked on the rally cars. I've seen 20% improvement from just changing that (the early black) without any mods.

Will you be in the same class as WRXs & EVOs? It's been a while since I looked into the regs, but I remember anything 4wd being on 1 class.

Do the chassis numbers match? Whilst the shell may look ok, it wasn't uncommon for FWD sedan shells to be used as replacements. It also wasn't uncommon for the number to be swapped on the firewall either ;)

I might be soon coming into possession of a running EA82T (but prob blown headgaskets) that will prob be surplus to my needs.

Don't forget to overfill the gearbox if you're going to run it in 4wd all the time. The ARC guys did this back in the day to help keep them working.
It'd be good to get hold of a Vortex box & do some swapping of ratios. They have a stronger input shaft due to no low range, and have a centre diff.
Ultimately, swap in the internals from a WRX box, then you could get a front LSD & viscous centre. Using a Liberty RS rear diff
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”