My brumby build

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Destinationtoby

My brumby build

Post by Destinationtoby » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:49 pm

Hey guys, Love the forum:D tons of great info, have been reading for hours.
I'm a complete noob to the brumby world, but I've picked one up for $150 as a project, mainly because it was a hundred & fifty bucks lol but because I wanted something different and unique.

I want to street spec it, lower it etc
But first it's in need of a major clean up. It's had a rough life by the looks, but i reckon I can fix her up to showroom material :p
Have found one spot of rust in the footwell area, and lots of surface rust in numerous areas from stone chips and scratches etc.
So that's the first thing I'm getting onto. I will do a full re-spray further down the track.
I've started gutting the interior so I can rust proof and sound deaden the whole thing.
As u can see from the pics, it's quite disgusting :/

It needs a new cv & I can hear a bad exhaust leak up near the headers.

After the necessary boring stuff is done, Im going to look into making up some custom flared guards, some bolt on wheel spacers, coilovers and stancing it. As I think that wider body look will be different & look awesome in my opinion.
Going to install a wicked sound system.
Going for the full mafia spec look, dark tint, black paint and will have the wheels sand blasted and powder coated black.
Would love to do a 5 stud conversion so I can put some nice rims on her, but it seems somewhat difficult. Plus I don't mind these little stockies that are on there for now.
During the above process, which I'm sure Will take a few months at least. I shall be researching the wrx conversion & browsing the net for half cuts.

Now for some nooob questions ;)

What is a L'series and what motor do I have in mine?
Is it the ea81 or 82? And what's the difference?
All I know is that it's a 1992 and it's got a GL badge on the tailgate.
Where the best place to source parts? Cv' etc
& aftermarket parts like coilovers?
Is there a bolt on rear disk brake upgrade from another sooby?
Yes I have searched, but it's difficult to find answers, when I'm not sure exactly what car mine is and what fits it etc

Thanks a heap guys, I shall keep you all updated with progress pics and more questions of course
Cheers
Toby

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (116.37 KiB) Viewed 4878 times

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:10 pm

Wicked brum for the price!
The power steering alone is worth more than that!!

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:39 am

First of all welcome to the forum Toby!
Secondly, what a bargain!!
Hope this answers some of your questions.....
The EA81 engines came out in, what we in Australia call, 'MY' platform cars.
These were essentially the series 2 Leone's, sports wagons, coupes and Brumby's from about 1980 to end of 1984 (except Brumby which kept being made till '92)
They basically all shared the same (or sometimes upgraded but interchangeable) brakes, suspension, engine, gearboxes, fenders, interior bits etc on the same basic sub frame.
The L series, were the Gen 3 Leone's and wagons from beginning of 1985 till 1994. Theses had the EA82 engines and share very little else with the 'MY' family of cars.
There are a few L parts, however, that will/can be made to fit the Brumby and other MY cars, e.g. the 5 speed L boxes are a good and relatively easy swap over/conversion.
Motor differences...
EA81 is a single, gear driven cam, push rod motor, with extreme reliability. So much so, in its day, it was used in aviation.
EA82 has belt driven, over head cams and shares nothing with the EA81. It is quite often used in the marine industry. First it is drained of all oil, then a large chain is attached. It is then thrown over the bow of the boat to help keep the boat in place. :p

Rear 'bolt on' disk upgrade is almost impossible, as the parts are made from 'unobtainium' these days.
You'll need the disk, calliper and backing plate from an RX Leone (85 onwards hottie EA82 turbo version) but good luck finding one.

Coilovers.....there is nothing off the shelf to fit a Brumby in its standard form, so you are looking at custom ordering/making them to fit.
Good luck with the build.
Cheers
John

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Welcome to the forum DT.

Awesome score on the brumby and kudos to you for the plan to keep it alive! Many others would part it for a profit :sad:

As mentioned you've got an EA81 - and with PS to boot! Unusual on a brumby from the factory so it's more than likely that it's been added at some point. Great to have! You can also fit AC from any other Sedan/coupe/touringwagon of the same shape or "MY" model if you're after it - keep an eye out and budget for about $500 these days!

As for the rust, if you've got it on the floor you've got other issues else where. Personally once you've got it in the shed I'd be pulling the windscreen. What usually happens is that the bottom corners of the windscreen seat rust out which then lets water into the cab to pool on the floor and rust that out. If you have rust holes in the windscreen seat you'll more than likely have it down the rest of the A pillar that continues down the hinge mounting points into the sill panels below the door. You may also have rust in the front lower corners of one or both doors. This is when you know it's time to sort it out - or wait and scrap it.

Get into it now, spend the time doing the work and it'll pay off in the long run. Have a read of anything in the Subie Boys Resto area that's MY related, and have a look at this build as well.

Everything you've listed in the "wanted to do" category has already been done by some one and documented somewhere - just need to find it! What I'm saying is that your build is achievable as far as possibility goes, the rear inhibitor will be your ability as a mechanic (if you're doing it your self) and how deep your pockets are, especially if you're paying someone to do it!

All the best with it, I'm looking forward to the reading of the build.

Also, for the what's an L series question - google images is your friend. It'll look similar to an 80's magna ;)
The suspension is interchangeable to a degree, rear K frame and swing arms do not fit but the rear brakes and diff will bolt straight in. The rear drive shafts on the earlier L's will fit the brumby, dunno about the later '87 onwards units though.

To fit the gearbox there are threads on the forum that tell you how to do it. And if you happen to find a set of rear discs to fit an L series (found on the RX turbos and the XT Vortex) you HAVE to get the 4wd hub for them to fit the brumby ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Destinationtoby

Post by Destinationtoby » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:57 pm

Proton mouse wrote: EA82 has belt driven, over head cams and shares nothing with the EA81. It is quite often used in the marine industry. First it is drained of all oil, then a large chain is attached. It is then thrown over the bow of the boat to help keep the boat in place. :p
John
Hahahaha Classic

Destinationtoby

Post by Destinationtoby » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks for the replys fellas

And yep cheers Bennie, that's the plan at the moment.
Strip the whole thing down in search for any rust and get onto it asap.

Anyone have any tips on stripping out that tar mat stuff off the floor? It's seems to be pretty solid stuff. Could moisture get in between that and cause rust?

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:06 pm

I was told a little secret just recently about how to get that stuff of the floor...Dry Ice !! Haven't had the opportunity to try it, but was told it chips off so easy.
John

Destinationtoby

Post by Destinationtoby » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:17 pm

Is this a dodgy lift or is it standard on the brumby?

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:30 pm

That's the original, adjustable ride height suspension fitted to the Brumby!

John

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:32 pm

Standard on the Brumby and MY wagons, but don't run it like that every day. When I had mine wound up that much my brand new front drive shafts went from new and silent to clicking and popping in about 3 weeks, before I realized my suspension was wound up by previous owner :(
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:50 pm

Standard..

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Speaking of wrx conversions, see if you can find one or something similar on Pickles etc since you can grab a whole car for less than a front cut and use interior bits etc.

Finding one with a good engine is the trick. I've been chasing an EJ205 recently for a Brumby conversion but it's been slow going :(

Good luck!

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Destinationtoby

Post by Destinationtoby » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:50 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Speaking of wrx conversions, see if you can find one or something similar on Pickles etc since you can grab a whole car for less than a front cut and use interior bits etc.

Finding one with a good engine is the trick. I've been chasing an EJ205 recently for a Brumby conversion but it's been slow going :(

Good luck!

Cheers,
Tom.

Thanks mate.
And yeah I'm in no rush, so I've got time to do a heap of research on it whilst finding the right donor. Car :)

Destinationtoby

Post by Destinationtoby » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:19 am

Ripped the front panels and guards off, & gutted interior. Was Filthy inside !
Chipped all the tar off the floor (glad that's over !)
Answered my own question about the rust under the tar, seems like I'm just getting it in the nick of time before it became a cut and weld job.
Tried a few different tools out and attacked some small areas just to see what I'm in for. As this is my first time doing anything like this.
Seems easy enough, but takes allot of time and patience.
So I gave it a temporary spray of rust proof primer for the time being, until I come back to it and do the entire floor in one hit.
Any handy tips & info are much appreciated, as mentioned this is my first go!

Cheers

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:57 am

Go for an ej205 or ej207. Most of the 207's from 2000 onwards have variable valve timing. A aus spec ej205 wrx will have it from the peanut wrx onwards (2003??).
Personally id look for an STI, stronger block to handle the power upgrades everyone wants and has a 6 spedd gearbox that won't brake on the first launch 2 streets away on your first test drive.

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”