Silverbullets' resto: Engine, gearbox, suspension

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Silverbullet

Re: Silverbullets' resto: Engine, gearbox, suspension

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:29 pm

Here's the chrome installed. The steel piece its bolted to looked like a piece of the titanic so the rust was dissolved with hydrochloric acid before a few thick coats of zinc gal then black epoxy. Better than new!

This weekend I started making the new engine loom. New TXL wire, new connectors for everything on the engine. If you want brand new plug+pin kits to replace crusty old, brittle, broken EJ engine harness connectors then iWire has everything. They work beautifully too when you've got the right crimp tool.

It's nearly halfway there. As much as I can do this weekend since the shielded cable I need for the cam+crank sensors didn't arrive. Paid for express post a week ago but it does no good if it takes them 7 working days to get the order out the door :-x

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:15 pm

Ooh that chrome trim piece looks awesome! I hope it lasts for the life of the vehicle looking that good!

That wiring loom looks simple when you draw it out like that. Good time to change throttle body to a drive by wire if you a) don’t have one already and b) your ECU can run a DBW throttle body. Then you can ditch the IACV setup and KISS in the process 8)

I’m looking forward to seeing this thing cruising again and hope this effort gets you there! I’m sure you’re more keen than I am though :mrgreen:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:03 pm

No drive-by-wire on this build, way too complicated on top of an already over-complicated engine swap. No need to use it either unless I wanted cruise control which this ECU can't do.

Engine loom is complete :razz: Still waiting for my long time coming manifold gaskets then I can bolt it all back together and test it.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:40 pm

Ooh this is getting exciting!

Do you have a plan C in the back of your head incase this plan B unexpectedly doesn’t work as intended?

I wish these gaskets would bloody well hurry up!

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:36 pm

Progress! Got her on the road again today! :mrgreen:

Gave up waiting for the gaskets and just bought some locally, genuine subaru ones on Friday. Got the mani all bolted and plugged back together yesterdy arvo. I quickly beeped out my wiring loom end to end beforehand to check wires were all in the right place. Went to U-pull it first thing today to get another P/S reservoir (I broke the old one :oops: ) also snagged the cover pieces for the alternator/A/C belts and finally the correct A/C lines for this compressor (only took me 3 tries!)

Got that all bolted on and topped up all the fluids. Also re-calibrated the TPS because the number is still jumping around, the new loom didn't fix that :roll: A workaround for now, I moved the throttle to 2% with my foot and calibrated that to be the zero point. So with foot off at idle the TPS input reads a solid and steady 0%. After that it just fired right up, laptop saying full synch and zero errors, I call that a success! With the TPS reading solid 0%, what do you know the misfire at idle is gone now too. It comes back with throttle input, when that number starts jumping around again.

I think I'll have to ring up Haltech and ask them how to force the ECU to ignore TPS changes of less than 0.5% (hysteresis) this would fix my TPS problem instantly. I've done everything else. New wiring, new OEM TPS sensor, confirmed separate signal and chassis grounds. There's nothing else left to fix.

The drive was good though considering the incomplete tune. Made me feel like all this effort was actually worth it :mrgreen:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:52 pm

Hey Sam that does sound like progress!

Have you got that TPS pinned out correctly - as in are you sure all the wires do exactly what you think they’re doing? Second TPS/brand new from memory, should be working fine.

Hopefully an easy fix then off to the tuners again for the last time!

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:24 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:52 pm
Have you got that TPS pinned out correctly - as in are you sure all the wires do exactly what you think they’re doing? Second TPS/brand new from memory, should be working fine.
Yes, positive. I measured the pins out with an ohm meter way back before I started wiring. It's just regular old analog potentiometer inside. Outside legs of it go to 5v and sensor ground, with the middle leg going to the ECU throttle input. And the news from today is, it's all sorted! :mrgreen: engine is running smooth, no misfires and everything is happy. Ready to be tuned properly.

I got on the blower to Haltech tech support this arvo and after 20 minutes on hold (probably their busiest time of week) got onto an expert, they remote logged into my laptop and checked it all over. Straight away they saw the problem! And if I'd known that page in the software existed then I'm sure I would have picked it up too. The so called "fuel load sensing" method was set to TPS. This means the ECU was using the TPS reading to determine how much load the engine was under and adjusting the injector on-time accordingly. Which is bad when the TPS reading is jumping around like that hence the misfire. It should actually be set to MAP so the ECU uses the MAP sensor to determine engine load. Now it doesn't matter at all if the TPS reading jumps around because it's not affecting anything.

He tweaked a few other minor things and within 15 minutes the engine was running smooth as with good AFR readings :biggrin: It's booked in to be dyno'd again next Friday. Then I'll be taking a few days off work to spend a few nights tenting somewhere and enjoying the drive :biggrin:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:51 pm

Wow that’s nuts that one little parameter like that can screw up so much in the operation of the engine!

I’m guessing all that new wiring, while nice and good to know it’s fresh (plus that personal satisfaction), was not necessary in the grand scheme of things.

Awesome to hear that it’s running good now with decent air fuel mixture ratios. I can’t wait to hear the end result and what you think of the drive once the conversion is complete with tuning.

Then you’ll have to share a pic of your ear to ear smile :mrgreen:

Cheers

Bennie

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:26 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:51 pm
Then you’ll have to share a pic of your ear to ear smile :mrgreen:

Cheers

Bennie
100% Bennie.

Congratulations Silverbullet your persistence has paid off, enjoy the ride! :lol: :lol:

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:38 pm

It's tuned! :biggrin: No major issues to speak of UNTIL! about halfway through when the brand new ignition coil carked it, dead short between 12v and earth for no apparent reason :roll: And at the end, the idle speed is erratic if the idle speed valve is plugged in. It will idle happily at 800rpm but give it a rev and it settles back to 1500 or 2krpm. We fiddled with the idle stop screw but were chasing our tails with it. Just un-plugged the idle valve and it's a steady 1k rpm now until I can figure out where it's getting the extra air from. Then get a better quality idle valve.

Was a full day today, got started on the dyno about 9:30-10AM and did the final drive/road test tuning around 4PM. But that includes more than 90 minutes of downtime for the coil. The final result for power output is *drumroll*
An eye watering 60.5kw at the front wheels :lol:

That means the 26.5" A/T tyres are sapping a whopping 40kw from the engine roughly. Hate to think what the old engine had at the wheels then, probably closer to 30kw. Even still, at this meagre number it torque steers moving from a stop and if I really poke it, breaks traction until 3rd gear which fights the torque steer so the end result being the front end sliding from side to side :lol: Probably going to chew through front tyres at a fair rate. Have to be gentle with it. Oh and now I know the driveline can get to 175kph without disintegrating, which is reassuring :lol:

Now to just drive the wheels off it

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:21 pm

A front LSD will sort out that torque steer - and an L series AWD locking box would help with general traction.

So, after all that effort are you actually happy with it at this stage? Do you think the EJ conversion is worth the effort (although yours is quite different to many conversions out there with the aftermarket engine management system)?

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 pm

A locking AWD box would be nice along with a front LSD but I doubt I'll ever find one. Gotta stop somewhere anyway. I'll be happy with my 3.9 ratio 5 speed in EJ casings, whenever that is actually finished.

I am happy with it so far ;) A modern(ish) EFI engine is a big quality of life upgrade from a carbie even if it wasn't the power boost I might have imagined. Sure an EJ25 would have more poke but...meh :lol: Some long road trips and seat time will help me say if it was worth all the effort. Most people would say hell no considering the money that went into it but I'm not most people and do tend to do things the hard way or at least a way that nobody else has done before. Having said that though, it would be easy to drop a SOHC EJ25 into this in the future with minimal extra work except a slight re-tune.

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”