Tweety's ea81 build

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:01 pm

stock figures a re so low they don't get a rating anywhere :p :p

something about sailors and sisters comes to mind, or was it the skin off a rice pudding ??

I wonder if those 120HPat the flywheel plane engines have no torque whasoever ?

Look out - the question mark police are after me .........
member since 10january2014 #6191

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:22 am

these are the figures from Wikipedia

EA-81

The Subaru EA-81 engine was produced from 1980 to 1989 and is a stroked version of the EA-71.
Specifications

Displacement: 1,781 cc
Bore: 92 mm
Stroke: 67 mm
Compression Ratio: 8.7:1
Valvetrain: OHV Pushrod
Horsepower: 73 bhp (54 kW; 74 PS) at 4,800 rpm
Torque: 94 lb·ft (127 N·m) at 2,400 rpm

Found on

1980-1989 Subaru Leone
1981-1987 Subaru BRAT

If you have 51 real horsepower and 65 ft/p at the wheels after an auto transmission, that is rather impressive.

Well done

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:15 pm

you've made my day. And the dyno isnt finished yet....but I dont expect much more increase.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:52 pm

I did forget to add those figures from Fuji are a benchtested engine at the flywheel, not after an auto transmission or a manual transmission.

Good luck with the next dyno session, just from the look of his workshop and his machine , the guy knows what he is doing. (or has good cleaners :) )

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:18 pm

That's awesome mate!

Can't wait to see tweety again, it's been too long!

Hope the second sesh sees the setup completed ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:10 pm

Yeh, been too long Bennie. When its fully tuned we'll organise something.

I'd really like to know the hp and ft/lbs at the wheel of a ea81 auto say Leone. The Subie auto is a 3 speed and wouldnt be much different to the VW one for drag.

That workshop is the cleanest most organised workplace I've ever seen. Even the oil containers go from lowest to highest. I'm really happy I met Matt and Belinda. In a city like Shepparton its a gamble if you get a professional or not.

Thanks Jules
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue May 05, 2015 12:53 pm

I had the trike in for its final dyno tune yesterday.

We had to order jets for the 38/38 carbie.

So Matt placed the new main jets in (150) and we found an immediate rise of torque by 6% which was massive. Then the problems began.

There was crap in the carbie bowl regardless that it had been wiped clean. Eventually Matt cleaned the jets and we replaced the EJ EFI fuel filter (that might be beyond its use) for a basic in line filter. The crap was a powdery substance as well as some metallic bits. I had ran the fuel tank down to empty going down the mountain near home and as I've done so once before I get to the bottom of the mountain and turn into a driveway raising the front wheel high, the fuel pump can then pump remaining fuel to the carbie and its enough to get me to the garage at Euroa lol.

The crap is likely from the alloy tank being welded up and its residual 2 years ago. So will change the filter often now.

Matt adjusted the timing eventually at 12-13 degrees and today I will be making up a marker/pointer for the crank pulley setting as I dont have a flywheel set up like on other ea81's. He said the dizzy is a "little stiff" and shows up on the light bouncing a bit. He said the dizzy is better left the way it is as he's had one guy spend money getting his reconditioned only for the problem to remain. I've had this dizzy recoed about 3 years ago with little use since. The EFI dizzy was a different dizzy as was the dizzy for the supercharger, recalibrated. So one degree isnt worth the worry.

The main issue Matt had then was the "squirters" being too large and was responsible for the slight hiccup going around slow bends (flooding). Trouble was there was no smaller squirter available for the 38/38. this was the number one reason why the 38/38 is oversize for this size of engine. and why 2.5 litre upwards is more compatible. So one compensational method was to reduce the idle jets which were slightly rich anyway. On the way home it had the slightest hiccup around a roundabout that was barely noticeable. I'm happy with that. Sadly there is no adjustment on the accelerator pump.

As the charts shows we squeezed 6% more torque out of the engine (and that extra was really noticeable on the ride home) and 2hp extra ATW. I asked Matt if I would likely have more than 74hp at the fly and he said "sure, a lot more". He then took the trike for a short run and was amazed at the quick pick up from stationary or low speed.

Spark plugs (platinum) are set at 38thou.

This draws the engine work to a close. I cant express how much work went into this tune up and would recommend a proper dyno especially post recoed engine and carbie change. Saves guess work.

So am I happy to have selected the ea81 for my trike when the VW 1916 was discarded? Yes and no.

The answer to that question would definately be yes had I had a manual gearbox. The auto trans simply sucks too much power from that little engine.
The trikes purpose however, ease of maintenance by me, compact and ease of engineers certificate from low weight thereby passing the "tilt" test easily was good. Not to mention the trike is set up for cruising and towing our baby camper.

Had I had my time again would I have used an EJ? Yes is the answer. Because the trike is an auto. Going up hills the EJ wouldnt know its a hill. Economy would be equal if not better than the EA. And I'd swallow the costs of maintenance by a qualified Subie mechanic.

So the "EJ it" converts have won this argument....but I have no regrets.

The first pic below shows the dyno result two weeks ago in GREEN and the final dyno in red. The torque are the "dotted" lines with the reading on the RHS. The hp has measurements on the LHS. So you can see the improvements of both days pre the proper main jet and post correct main jet. Big difference.

This final graph has a lower line almost straight. This line if it were EFI could be straightened much more but the intention is to get this line as straight as possible eg air/fuel mix around 14.5.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 08, 2015 8:34 pm

Hey mate, could you please label the dyno graphs as to what they are specifically?

That's some pretty awesome news you've got Tony! I'm stoked for you!

As for the choice of engine I think the EA81 has been a great one. Light, easy to work on and punchy. If it's not fantastic with the auto I can't begin to imagine how a VW engine would be good at best!

The "win" for the EJ fans, well, I don't know about that. Personally I wouldn't concede on that one. The EA81 fits your needs, and while it might not like a hill I think it's still a well thought out setup.

Your comment about the EJ setup and that you'd "swallow the costs of maintenance by a qualified Subie mechanic" - well I believe that once you had the wiring done the maintenance side of the engine is still pretty simple. Learn to read the codes and the ECU will tell you what's not happy. Then the next hardest part is doing the cam belt, but with the amount of access you have at the back of the trike I reckon this would be a very easy thing to do ;)

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri May 08, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi Scott. I've placed graph descriptions above the first and last graphs. So the dotted lines are torque...read from the RHS graph markings. HP is read from the LHS graph markings and the line relevant has no dots.

It is impressive and I'm happy and I wont be going the EJ route. Just saying that as its a power sucking auto that is the main reason I probably should have considered EJ and swallowed the complexities with this particular vehicle. 20+ hp loss isnt good. Having said that when I rev this baby up hills it flies. Easily touches 100 kph up our mountain (2nd) and remains lugging nicely for longer in top due to the extra torque when the VW would only do 55kph in 2nd. So am not complaining.

I posted the graphs but doesnt mean I can interpret them fully. lol

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat May 16, 2015 9:34 pm

Few days ago I had major loss of power. I was going for a joy ride around town and limped home.

The engine would only rev to 2000 rpm but idled fine.

Eventually I tried revving it more and 2000 rpm was max still and I detected smoke coming from the torque converter. Shut it down. Resolced to accept engine and trans had to come out.

Next morning I had a brain snap. A few days earlier I degreased all of the under motor and trans....even used a toothbrush lol. I had noticed a nut was loose on the transmission selector cable (where it meets the lever on the transmission) and had tightened it up. Went out, lossened that nut and tightened up the other not on the other side. Start up- revs beaut.

Effectively the selector was in "park" but the transmission was trying to push in reverse. Such is the effect of 5mm of adjustment. Its the same effect of putting your foot hard on the brakes and accelerator at the same time.

Transmission oil which was new recently seems clear and good, hoping torque converter remains ok. Test ride was great. Wipes seat from brow....

Pic depicts loose nut on RHS but LHS was tightened. I beleive I didnt tighten up this nut when auto trans went back in after seal and gaskets were done. Was going to do that once reinstalled but forgot.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 21, 2015 9:49 pm

Fun and games mate!

I'm stoked for you that it was an easy fix. I could see the wallet deflating at the thought of a TC rebuild!

Now get off the forum and go have some fun!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:36 pm

Well I was lucky enough to entertain a certain forum member today, and take his ride for a, er, well, ride :mrgreen:

I love this little detail (the badge!)

And this gives that "stance nation" mob a run for their money - this is muscle stance right here:

After the mini photo shoot we went for a ride - and OMG it was so good after a bit of a hairy start learning about the throttle sensitivity!

Tony's really built a well balanced machine - anymore power and you'd be wheel standing everywhere IMO! I'll be keen to see what the new carbie choice will do for Tweety's performance and economy.

Thanks for a great arvo mate!

Cheers

Bennie

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:24 pm

My pleasure El Freddo

Must admit looking under the bonnet of the red targe I said to myself "where's the engine"? It's been a while since I first got tweety's ea81 and it had a lot of things on it then like carbon cannister, vac tubes and well, thing a trike in Australia doesnt legally need to have like all anti pollution stuff.

I should have warned El Freddo of the sensitivity of the throttle. A burst of laughter as that front wheel lifted so quickly and it wasnt a few centimetres either lol

Cant tell you about a certain vehicle I drove....wow

All good fun. I havent enjoyed a string of rides without issues while owning this trike. Now the ea81 will keep me going to the end of my days. And the VW boys wonder why I bothered. They just cant comprehend. :cool:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:07 pm

Tweety wrote:
Cant tell you about a certain vehicle I drove....wow

what ?

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:06 pm

Have ditched the 38/38 synchronic weber carb. At the end of the day, it got 23 mpg (oz gallons) with a light foot.

Purchased a very good used 32/36 weber. Put it on today. It came off a ea82 so was jetted almost right. But got a list of jets others use for their ea81 and one main jet on the primary was 140 but most use 130 so changed that to 130. One air jet was one size too large so changed that to.

Test ride and to be honest there is so little difference from the 38 to the progressive. On take off the 38 is light but noticably faster over the first 30 metres. after that they are comparitive.

What I do know is that the weber top cap I have for a snorkel and cold air intake is very restrictive. I've hd it off for a short burst and the trike has much more power. So there is a 9 inch chrome paper filter air filter unit I can buy http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WEBER-CARBY- ... 1750300372

According to Brumby Kid it is goof for good air flow. unless others have better ideas.

Now its an economy test. will take a while as I'm not riding much lately...too cold.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:04 pm

So with the difference in take off acceleration there's no wheel standing anymore? :( But also :twisted:

I'm hoping you're really close with the final setup now!

Cheers

Bennie

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:11 am

you are the wheelstand king after your last effort. lol

yes, looks like its well sorted. couple of months and might get a simple dyno to see if I can get the jets just right. But for the moment just happy this carbie thing is done now.

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”