1986 Subaru Leone RX TURBO STi

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 16, 2014 7:54 pm

nico leone wrote:Image
WOW! I wish the underside of my L looked that good... But I guess the underside of your L hasn't seen the sort of things mine has :rolleyes:

I was also thinking - if you have a frame to hold the rear diff in tight you'll find the drive train even more responsive! A mate of mine made one with some old L series swing arms (I believe) and a bash plate. The arms bolted to the bash plate, the bash plate bolted to the diff and the other end of the swing arms mounted to some tight rubbers mounded on the K frame beside the current swing arms, they were the old mounting points of the original donor K frame.

I hope that makes sense. He reckoned it eliminated all torque twist of the rear diff...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:28 pm

aeroquip hose fittings and line for the jdm Spec-C oil cooler

got my arp studs in the xt6 hubs

June 1... and then the virgin Leone meets a guard rail while saving my driving license & insurance hike

time to rebuild with all new factory oem parts that are getting hard to find For REAL !

cut the front rad support off not it will be bolt on for that quick release motor swaps lol

got around to adding the BRZ koyo rad OEM subaru rad support new

test fit and drilling holes for bolt on action

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:29 pm

jdm Spec-C cooler ready ! Franz welded my AN fittings for me

powder coated and bolted up all stainless steel bolts where all the spot welds where with oil cooler

everything lines up and my spare bumper beam sand blasted and powder coated also

brz filler neck and radiator cap fits nice

and some jdm Leone goods, the fogs with power flip the covers on there own lol pretty slick 80s subaru stuff

strip down ready for the paint job

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:30 pm

single stage white BASF Glasurit single stage paint like the factory did

$o $hiny and new !.. wow was my factory paint so dull

more brand new everything from the dealership oem, shiny paint needs new stickers and symbols :)

home sweet home ready for me to put her back together again

all most done

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:31 pm

jdm 3D corner lights sick

jdm SUPER light weight head lights with H4 bulb's

jdm lights dont blind on coming traffic these are also used in europe so beam pattern is straight on a wall with no cut lines pretty cool

black stuff all back on door moldings mud flaps and lower air spoiler..

lost two moldings for front fender, new ones on the way

new oem turbo stickers and jdm Leone tail lights

had to add 4WD in my TURBO lol.. started life as FWD now its a real subaru

all updated and still got small things to add again, trim parts around the windows and front bumper cover.

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:42 pm

Drooool :D

Sorry to read bout Leone meeting with guard rail, but in light of it all you've done a fantastic job! The bolt up rad support is a good idea.
One bad turn leads into a good turn :cool:

I want your Leone sedan!!

J.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Imagine if the designers/engineers of the Leone could see this car now?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:37 pm

Noooooooooooooooo what a pity

but she looks great now and that BRZ radiator fits in well.

looks very retro with the white rims as well

Well done

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:31 pm

A bad situation made good - with a lot of work!

Your attention to detail is fantastic!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:18 pm

FujiFan wrote:Drooool :D

Sorry to read bout Leone meeting with guard rail, but in light of it all you've done a fantastic job! The bolt up rad support is a good idea.
One bad turn leads into a good turn :cool:

I want your Leone sedan!!

J.
ya sucks but it came out better for sure got to add more stuff in a simple way, easy to take the motor out for sure now..

Gannon wrote:Imagine if the designers/engineers of the Leone could see this car now?
lol I don't know what they would think... hope they don't think i'm nuts for doing all this work to it.. id bet they kick some butt in the 80s rally scene with my set up lol..

TOONGA wrote:Noooooooooooooooo what a pity

but she looks great now and that BRZ radiator fits in well.

looks very retro with the white rims as well

Well done

TOONGA

yaaaaa :( I'm happy the motor is cool now with all the add stuff its running great.

it all fit perfect like how I wanted it in the first place with out the damage done but it pushed me to do it more I guess..

El_Freddo wrote:A bad situation made good - with a lot of work!

Your attention to detail is fantastic!

Cheers

Bennie
yep it pushed me to do more for sure, i'm happy its all better now just have to keep it this way for a long time..

car is back up and running, oil cooler and brz rad are working very well with the new set up. its time to get it out on the track before winter comes.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:38 pm

do you just order these factory bits (stickers, panels, lights etc) straight from subaru? I didn't think most of that stuff would be stocked any more. Looks like you have a bottomless wallet!

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:20 pm

I agree. If you can get that stock new from Subaru, could you take some orders & ship them over? Stickers are non existent here & cop more punishment from our sun.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:01 pm

AndrewT wrote:do you just order these factory bits (stickers, panels, lights etc) straight from subaru? I didn't think most of that stuff would be stocked any more. Looks like you have a bottomless wallet!
yep most of the stuff is all old stock from japan that was on a shelf.. everything from my dealership.

wagonist wrote:I agree. If you can get that stock new from Subaru, could you take some orders & ship them over? Stickers are non existent here & cop more punishment from our sun.

unfortunately I bought up most of the stuff in the last one.. but maybe there is black version still in stock or silver ones.. ill have to check what's still there..

so decided to improve the handling of the car a bit better and I noticed the 2015 uses rear spherical bearings. I had a machine shop shave them down each side 1.5mm and made a spacer to take up the slack for pressing them in my lower suspension mount in the rear of my coil overs

locally I found a nice set of ES-Tarmac ENKEI wheels 5x100 16x8 et45 14lbs wheels, super light weight compared to my braid wheels

started to build the spare motor, Ej22T stock crank, 10mm oil pump, ACL bearings, Carrillo Rods, Wiseco pistons, cometic head gaskets, ARP Custom Age 625+, V9 STi heads, killer b pick up, and allot of new factory case bolts and plugs gaskets

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:26 am

so this is what else I'm working on at the moment along with the lower pillow ball bushing for my coil overs, I decided to get a one piece unit made so I can get rid of the rubber spacers and all that mess..

this is a prototype unit to test on the car then i can get them made up once it fits ok.

black is 80s strut mount, green is coil over mount.. needs a bit more work to be perfect fit

also found the rear garnish in japan for my car, maybe ill put it on. to many holes to drill in a clean car.

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:51 am

where does your number plate mount?
In the bumper or between the lights?
We only ever got between the lights (I think partly because Subaru knew that a lot of the cars would have a towbar mounted, which would then obscure the bumper mount type, and hence be illegal).
But I do like the bumper mount number plate with the garnish between the lights on the sedan.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:29 pm

wagonist wrote:where does your number plate mount?
In the bumper or between the lights?
We only ever got between the lights (I think partly because Subaru knew that a lot of the cars would have a towbar mounted, which would then obscure the bumper mount type, and hence be illegal).
But I do like the bumper mount number plate with the garnish between the lights on the sedan.
mine is like yours up top with lights, the usa got the bumper but never got the garnish from japan..

i dont think ill put it on, got a new plan for a carbon spoiler bolted on the rear body where the bumper goes for racing.. it will make it look crazy though lol

subaru 80's old meets subaru 2012 new moulded into one...
cnc billet aluminium & anodized black, now I can add a pillow ball at the top mount like the front..

next project is cnc billet aluminium front control arms with pillow ball and 1' longer so I can get some larger cv axles to with stand the abuse I am about to put down. cv axles will be new age subaru length.

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Can I order a pair of these rear top mounts? Thats a fabulous idea/job with those.

J.

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:01 pm

FujiFan wrote:Can I order a pair of these rear top mounts? Thats a fabulous idea/job with those.

J.

well other people have asked but my guys are so busy with aero space stuff they told me they cant make me anything right now... but i do have another idea that wont cost that much and will work just the same.. usmb forums has my wagon build which ill be updating soon on the new idea I have...

so this is my rear top hats bolted up with spherical bearings.. the lower cups also have 2015 STi spherical bearings made buy subaru which I needed to make a spacer.

I decide to get serious with my coil-overs to make this car handle like a top notch missile and I got the GR STi Ohlins road & track set.. I have to do two mod's to make them fit perfect which is the lower rear bushing mount will be made new with a STi spherical bearing and drill the front top plates to early subaru size like leone/gc8. my reactions from just holding the ohlins is how light weight they are WOW half the weight of my hsd..

like to thank jake @ ohlins usa for hooking me up with the extend clickers also !.. there on the way.

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:06 pm

Cool, sounds good. Those Ohlins look awesome and at much less mass gets me excited.

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:24 pm

Looking at those rear mounts, I reckon I'd be much cheaper to cut off the "hat" hanging down, weld a block of steel to it, drill & tap that instead.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”