EA81 supercharger revamp by Tweety

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:58 pm

yeh well he is certainly more knowledgable than me on electronics stuff.

I can brag I attended a radio technician course in 1973. But I failed after 2 months of the 12 month course so that isnt good haha

Circuits no problem, negative and positive no problem, overloading wiring- no problem I fuse every wire lol, capacitors, transisters etc- I'm lost.:|
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:23 pm

Tony, a question..reading a post linked intot he weber thread, it is mentioned the thermostat housing has bits that get in the way of the dizzy when fitted to EA81.
I klnow you also added a 3 plug ECU EA82 dizzy (?) Did you have to cut bits and plug up the water pipe on the thermostat housing ? If so, there is the other end of that hose outlets pipe in the top of the block - whadjado ?.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:24 pm

The idle sensor housing has to be turned 180 degrees.

There is a coolant hose that is in the way. El Freddo's advice was to use a piece of bent copper tube, to get around the dizzy and two short bits of hose. Worked a treat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:11 pm

OK, think I recall reading that .....somewhere in 36 pages !

Idle sensor housing ?? A term I am not familiar with ????

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:23 pm

The Idle Sensor Housing Jonno is a rare term. Like Oxygen black hole attachment, hotty wire atmospheric cooly pop (MAF) and micro distributer of finer electronical particles of every common unit (ECU)

Gee Jonno, I'm no mechanic you know !!!! :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:03 am

No mechanic !! I think we only have one 'real' mechanic on the board in here :) , the rest of us are fiddlers or varying degrees of talent, knowledge and experience - many seem to outdo my impression of some mechanics !

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:25 pm

steptoe wrote:Idle sensor housing ?? A term I am not familiar with ????
It's SPFI specific mod Jonno - not a regular term to come across when talking about mods!

Tony, you must be getting close to having the trike and this conversion running sweet!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Just waiting for Greg (Tambox) to get some free time. Then a dyno and some measuring etc. Its running ok as it is but could be some more to get out of it. Starts up great!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Tweety wrote:Its running ok as it is but could be some more to get out of it. Starts up great!
So is there still the flat spot and lack of acceleration at WOT?

Cheers

Bennie

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:59 pm

yes but not as bad as it was before we adjusted the position of the throttle sensor to obtain the right ohmage. And we still have that original MAF with the incorrect voltage. and have two others form the states to try out apparently pre tested.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Tambox and I are waiting for Gregs mate to fix his vintage dyno. In the meantime I remounted my airfilter assembly and decided to replace the MAF. Took Tweety for a test run and noticeable mid range power and revs out easier. Perfect idle now too.

Have a seperate issue when it revs at say 1500 rpm. revs wavers between 1200 and 1800 rpm. though the code for the throttle sensor is flashing. it did this before I swapped the MAF.

Have tidied up the electrics now and starting to look half professional in appearance.

Tidied things up, cleaning bits....t'is what one does in retirement lol

tambox

Post by tambox » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Come on be nice Tony, its not that vintage, just because its from last century, its controller is basic and the only unreliable (no longer available) part in the whole system has packed up again. It would be one of the best Aussie made Dyno beds, just the controller has a problem.
We could use it, just that Tweety would be putting out 650hp all the time, sounds impressive, but we would be lying.

It will be good to see what is going on with a scope, ex gas analyser and your panel, should get some answers. Better than test drives on those bumpy roads around your place (my neck is still sore:-?).
L serious, still.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:12 pm

yes I should be nice, just thats the only way I could describe it without knowing jack about dynoes. Will eb very interesting in the end.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:39 am

Surely the guppy is a suitable load to use instead of the dyno waiting to be fixed?

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:14 am

I'm patient enough. Besides, the Guppy is for sale for good reason.

Prior to Jan 2011 trikes in Australia were limited to 450 kgms. Hence all had alloy frames, often tubular, in the case of Panther a monocoque chassis with the fuel tank as the central main part of the chassis.

Subsequently towing capacity was limited by the manufacturer to 250 kgms gross or 300 with trailer brakes. A tow ball weight of 24 kgms. This doesnt give one much towing capacity. But we wanted some comforts.

Guppy is 460 kgms tare but in typical Tony style I believed I could overcome the issues. Last summer Tweety developed cracks in the frame around the swing arms mounts causing fuel leakage. When getting them fixed I got the engineer to strengthen and lengthen the tow bar. Then I found out that two other Panthers developed cracks in the fuel tank. My engineer welded webs at the needed areas. In the end I decided it wasnt worth the risk towing Guppy.

Our plans now are, once Guppy is sold, for camping, to purchase a 7x5 alloy box trailer for around $2000 on ebay. They weigh about 120 kgms. add a frame above it cover it with canvas and design an alloy pull out frame out the back for an annex. Total weight around 160 kgms. Add load and gross weight found.

So to keep this brief (lol) I wont tow Guppy again with Tweety. Guppy for sale for $11000.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:38 am

New definition of a nightmare.

Tweety has been running ok but with the usual loss of overall power and when deaccelerating has been cutting out until you apply more throttle. After a good run to Castlemaine on the weekend obtaining a respectable 27 mpg with more improvement to come I parked it in the garage and the next morning it failed to start. It usually starts perfectly.
Checked for spark- strong spark. Checked for fuel by raising the injector housing- is spraying fuel. Totally dumbfounded. Turn over by hand and has compression. Poured fuel down the gullet- no kick.
So in desperation and as I know the TPS is faulty decided to order one and see how I go after it is installed.

Several sites in the USA list the TPS from a Loyale. tHey are all the same from 1984-1994. However each time I go into those site "no longer available."
Found one site listing it as available (new). Paid through paypal a whopping $363 AUS including delivery ($41). Got emails saying thankyou we also have these parts available and then another email saying they have shipped my item. Then another email stating they have sent me a refund as they are out of stock.

So decided to email suppliers from now on. Have to wait as they are snoozing when we are awake.
My final option is to use a (cheaper) generic brand like a holley. trouble is I am unsure of its compatibility and alarm bells go off worrying if it will suffice. My unit runs off 5 volts but dont know if the holley one does. also my idle sensor unit which is cylindrical and turned the other way to make room for the dizzy in the conversion has restricted room for another type of TPS if it is longer in length.

Definition of a nightmare....

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:42 pm

This is the fun of conversions!

Try dropping the part number in to fleabay and see what comes up - you'll be surprised. Also have a look at TPS units from other makes and models of the same era - holden camira/nova/astra could be a good start. Nissan pulsar of the early '90s could be a looker too.

Many sensors were universal to a point over different makes and models - you might find something that will do the job from one of these other vehicles outside the subaru scope.

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Wonder if mine is faulty ?

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Had a top bloke on the USMB forum find 2 used TPS's from British Columia wreckers (junk yards) is sending them now to me.

have a list of measurements to test the TPS from the same guy (name Douglas but goes by the name NARU)

Can post you the list of steps Steptoe????

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Steps only good to me if it is a stand alone test - got no ECU to provide volts.
May as well stick 'em in here Tony !

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”